Should I identify every drop before selling them?

#1ChunliPosted 11/26/2013 12:27:45 PM
Hey guys. Just wondering if should spend a scroll to identify every identifiable drop before selling it to the vendor?

Need advice.
#2Ryyaann_Is_BandPosted 11/26/2013 12:32:12 PM
I highly recommend to do so. For all yellows. Would suck to vendor an unID Rare item that would have ended up being an awesome weapon/armor.
---
http://i.imgur.com/VgwJRED.jpg
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193
#3Chunli(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2013 12:32:57 PM
Thanks so much!
#4wolfy42Posted 11/26/2013 3:22:44 PM
Just in case you didn't catch what ryan said, just on the yellows...don't waste time with blues at all (other then maybe flasks).....I don't even pick them up. I do generally pick up, and id all yellows that drop though, both because it might be a good rare for it's level (I have my stash organized into item types and by level, then compare rares based on level and keep the best 1-2 (depending on item type...rings/1 handed weapons I sometimes keep more for various types of builds).

Vendor the rest (I never waste time trying to sell stuff) or if it's really good I toss it in my guild stash for others.

I keep an eye out for good 4 socket items of the right type (especially 4 linked already), and for 5-6 socket armor/2 handed weapons as well. Even if it's not all linked yet....5-6 socket items are worth always picking up and possibly trying to craft with.
---
No duckies, just drowning.
#5KhelThuzadPosted 11/26/2013 7:27:59 PM
I'd ID all blue if I had the perandus signet (a unique ring that increased scrolls of wisdom drop).
Alteration orbs are valuable. You can also get orb of alchemy shards if the item have certain mods (like + gem level)
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
The worst failed attempt at trolling, caught red handed.
#6wolfy42Posted 11/26/2013 8:27:03 PM
I just got the penditious ring thing today lol. Second unique paula ring this week actually. I was hoping for another +1 curse ring (only have the one that dropped the other day) but oh well...this might be useful some time as well.

I usually fill up my inventory with rares before I head back to town.....thats why I don't even bother picking up blues anymore, some blues can have really good base mods, and then you can just make em rare from there..so it's not crazy to pick them up and ID them...I just waste the time on it.

I keep my eye out for rbg linked items, rares, and 5-6 slot items (and of course quality gems). And currency of course.

I even have a problem on races remembering to grab blues and id them....cause I'm so used to going only for rares.

I'm getting my current build set up with all the AoE radius increases...(just about done) then heading tothe perm curse node asap after that. I love that unique paula ring that adds an extra curse for spellcaster builds so much.
---
No duckies, just drowning.
#7MarikhenPosted 11/27/2013 11:35:33 AM
Honestly, I'd only consider *not* identifying blues under the following circumstances:
#1 You're a new player in the level 15-30 and don't have a lot of scrolls of wisdom.
#2 You're in the 66+ range and need orbs of transmutation for maps or "crafting."
#3 You're otherwise short on scrolls of wisdom and don't, for some reason, have several hundred orbs of transmutation in your stash to sell at a rate of one orb of transmutation to four scrolls of wisdom.

From my perspective up until level 15 you can easily find legitimate upgrades for your gear from blues. Likewise it's been my experience that around the late 20s and early 30s it's more likely that you'll need to break down and identify blues to find a weapon upgrade than at other level ranges. Likewise the mid to late 50s seems to be another slump period.

Another reason to consider identifying blues is that some builds require you to use weapons that predominantly roll affixes for a combat style other than the one you're using. Cases in point are how staves and daggers seem to roll more for spell-casting combat or, at least in the case of daggers, elemental damage rather than physical damage. Because of this identifying blue daggers and staves on a physical damage melee build can sometimes become a necessity rather than remain an oddity.

On top of all of that blues can still roll with affixes that yield shards of alchemy on vendoring: chaos resistance, +X to gem level, improved item quantity, and probably one or two others. Due to the lower number of affixes you're just as unlikely to get those shards with blues as you are to get upgrades to your current rare/unique gear, but not identifying them completely eliminates the possibility of getting them. Of course some items are better choices than others. More specifically my experience is that I vendor any and all +quality items for whetstones and scraps. Since I'm not going to get the shards of transmutation, or alteration, out of them anyways I might as well identify them and see if I can get shards of alchemy.

Just my opinion on it, however.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#8MarikhenPosted 11/28/2013 6:00:25 AM
Another thing to consider that I'd forgotten until now is that Animate Weapon and Animate Guardian actually do use affixes on the gear used to create the minion. Because of this identifying blues and saving the choicer pieces for an animated guardian you plan on trying to keep around for some time can actually be a smart thing to do. At the very least at low levels packing a bunch of HP/s items on your guardian can make something that survives most trash fights fairly easy to manage.
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#9xSighxPosted 11/28/2013 2:16:04 PM
vendoring ID'd yellows actually gives better currency than unID'd yellows, i believe.

(UNid: transmutation shard ID: alteration shard, which is a step up from transmu)

could be wrong, this is just off the top of my head
---
3DS Friend Code: 3540 - 0141 - 1199
I breed flawless 6th Gen Pokemon.
#10ZaruenKosaiPosted 11/28/2013 10:42:22 PM
xSighx posted...
vendoring ID'd yellows actually gives better currency than unID'd yellows, i believe.

(UNid: transmutation shard ID: alteration shard, which is a step up from transmu)

could be wrong, this is just off the top of my head

vendoring a full set of unided yellows actually gives 2 chaos (if all are 20% Q you get 3 chaos)

But like its been said... an extra chaos means nothing if you get perfect affixes/rolls that could have sold for exalts...
---
You'd best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're in one!