Dual wielding, DPS, and benefits.

#1thelocalhentaiPosted 12/6/2013 1:44:46 PM
Haven't been playing very long but I'm building a dual wield dagger/claw shadow and I remember that dual wielding weapons with large damage disparity would actually make DPS less than just one handing a sword. Is that the case for this game (averaging out damage)?

Also, I noticed that the dagger has a GLOBAL crit chance buff, does that mean that the health steal from the claw ISN'T global? Or do the benefits from both weapons apply to the other?
#2Ryyaann_Is_BandPosted 12/6/2013 2:23:38 PM
thelocalhentai posted...
Haven't been playing very long but I'm building a dual wield dagger/claw shadow and I remember that dual wielding weapons with large damage disparity would actually make DPS less than just one handing a sword.

Yes, that occurs in Diablo 3.

thelocalhentai posted...
Is that the case for this game (averaging out damage)?

If you're dual wielding, it alternates between both weapons.

thelocalhentai posted...
Also, I noticed that the dagger has a GLOBAL crit chance buff, does that mean that the health steal from the claw ISN'T global? Or do the benefits from both weapons apply to the other?

Some daggers have a base-affix of Global Crit Chance. Global refers to both Attacks and Spells. So that bonus to Crit benefits both if you use that dagger for Attacks (ex. Double Strike) or Spells (ex. Freezing Pulse)

Somr daggers have a base-affix of just plain Crit Chance. Since there is no "Global" word there, the bonus to Crit only benefits attacks.
---
http://i.imgur.com/VgwJRED.jpg
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193
#3JowyBlightPosted 12/6/2013 3:11:55 PM
Most skills alternate between weapons, but a few (Cleave, Dual Strike) swing both at the same time.

And yes, the leech works for both weapons.
---
"Riou...you came. Just like you promised. ...here we are ...here once again."
#4Ryyaann_Is_BandPosted 12/6/2013 3:46:34 PM
Ah, yes I forgot to mention that. Some skills will say what exactly happens if you're dual wielding ex. Cleave has a different calculation if you're DWing.
---
http://i.imgur.com/VgwJRED.jpg
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VanillaRice-1752/hero/337193
#5ZaruenKosaiPosted 12/6/2013 6:06:03 PM(edited)
JowyBlight posted...
Most skills alternate between weapons, but a few (Cleave, Dual Strike) swing both at the same time.

ever heard of a game called Suikoden... ;)

dual wielding is just very limited imo

to stay on topic..

its either go all out with 2handers or 1h+shield

Dual wield has very little synergy with most skills excluding dual strike/cleave. I myself tried all three styles to make sure my decision was firm and i can tell you that in the end... 1h+ shield is probably better for endgame maps!
---
You'd best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're in one!
#6wolfy42Posted 12/6/2013 8:03:45 PM
Dual wield can have some advantages at various times.

For instance, at the point when you can use dual unique boot knives (each gives +20% block), it's the easiest to get 75% block in the game (although with the unique 40% block shield + boot knife as your weapon, you can get just about the same block chance...but without the attack speed bonus and the bonus offhand damage).

For the most part though, double hit > dual strike since you do the same damage....but you can have a shield as well (for defensive bonuses..which can get quite large).

There are some....other specific instances where dual weapons are quite nice...and you also have the large boosts from dual wield nodes that are possible, if your dual wielding, between specific unique weapons...and node boosts...you can sometimes get quite large bonuses from dual wielding.

Life leach counts from both weapon for instance, as does life gained per hit, which can be a pretty huge factor. It lets you do some combos that can boost life leach drastically, give you vaal's (instant life leach) and give you ghost reaver (life leach goes to Eshield) all just from weapons your equiping (not to mention boosting your block chance as well.

In the end, you'll have an easier time maxing block with a shield, and probably higher spell block as well...while also boosting your defenses significantly.

With dual weapons you can still get quite alot of block/defenses...but your resists may suffer a bit. You can significantly improve life leach abilities though, healing on hit, and sometimes damage by dual wielding.

Dual wielding.....for the most part, shines over weapon shield through normal and most of cruel..as you plain and simply don't need the extra defenses yet...and you have weapon options that can give you very strong defenses anyway at that point (Unique armor at 25 + dual unique boot knives at 20 with The stone amulet for 50% of your block affects spells = invicable exile through normal without anything else). You'll also find yourself doing quite a bit more damage with a dual wield build (both due to the extra damage mods on the extra weapon, and the very nice/high damage and attack speed mods for dual wield on the tree)...again through normal and cruel.

End game, I'd have to agree that without specific weapon setups, your probably over all better off going with weapon shield...but the extra life leach, attack speed and damage mods available on good equipment...can mitigate that.
---
No duckies, just drowning.
#7draxenzPosted 12/7/2013 7:10:08 AM
Just got a Wings of Entropy yesterday, and I'm wrecking stuff. Just soloed Pieta in merc with scrub gear. 10% to block on weapon, dual-wield block passives, and you can also get Bringer of Rain for another 15% block, Stone of Lazhwar : 50% of block chance applied to spells, Rainbowstride Conjurer boots : 25% of block chance applied to spells.

I'm doing Infernal Blow and Dual Strike. Was at 1.5k dps with Double Strike and 2k with Infernal blow with 1-hand and shield (granted my 1-hand was only 195 dps). Now with Wings of Entropy, I'm sitting at 7.8k dps with Dual Strike and 6.5k with Infernal Blow.

I know infernal Blow doesn't "synergize" with dual-wield, but it's actually a good weapon for it; high physical and fire damage. Everything on my screen blows up with 5L Q15 Infernal Blow. Quality 20 Infernal Blow and Melee Splash, coupled with Amplify passive makes the aoe radius huge. Just fyi, I took catalyze and lava lash to further boost it's damage.

Cool thing about WoE is it benefits from both 2-hand and dual-wield nodes, so you have a few different options in terms of build possibilities.
#8draxenzPosted 12/7/2013 7:11:52 AM
ZaruenKosai posted...
JowyBlight posted...

ever heard of a game called Suikoden... ;)

dual wielding is just very limited imo

to stay on topic..

its either go all out with 2handers or 1h+shield

Dual wield has very little synergy with most skills excluding dual strike/cleave. I myself tried all three styles to make sure my decision was firm and i can tell you that in the end... 1h+ shield is probably better for endgame maps!

You forgot Cyclone.