The first sentence of this dev blog is what makes this game fail.

#21Mad_Cow46(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2014 5:25:06 PM(edited)
Well I for one was a supporter of the AH in D3 which had little to no impact in my game aside from the supposed drop rate rigging.

Now that it's gone is D3 any better off?

The same applies to PoE with trading. Due to the extreme focus on economy the drops are rigged to encourage/force the need to trade based on lack of availability.

Alas there really isn't any need to fix it since the 5 or 6 hardcore players are flipping items all day and don't see a need to discuss potential solutions to GGGs mentality.
---
http://cutepics.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/cute_white_mink.jpg
I spell stuff wrong on porpoise. REASSURANCE
#22MarikhenPosted 5/15/2014 5:34:29 PM
Mad_Cow46 posted...
Well I for one was a supporter of the AH in D3 which had little to no impact in my game aside from the supposed drop rate rigging.

Now that it's gone is D3 any better off?

The flip side is is the game any worse off? I routinely saw decent, not great, not awesome, but decent, low-level uniques running for more gold per item than I saw in my "wallet" before I got my third character to 60.

Items that you can't afford won't affect how you play the game, but they can impact how you feel about playing the game, especially when the prices are that high due in part to, in your opinion, poor design decisions regarding the "economy" for the game.

Determining whether or not the game is better off also requires that one take into consideration the "Loot 2.0" changes that went out at the same time, and for the most part they make it an unequivocal, "Yes, it's better."

Mad_Cow46 posted...
The same applies to PoE with trading. Due to the extreme focus on economy the drops are rigged to encourage/force the need to trade based on lack of availability.

I honestly have never felt that way.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#23Mad_Cow46(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2014 5:44:20 PM
"Determining whether or not the game is better off also requires that one take into consideration the "Loot 2.0" changes that went out at the same time, and for the most part they make it an unequivocal, "Yes, it's better."

The onset of loot 2.0 is in direct correlation of the supposed item rigging due to the AH.

"I honestly have never felt that way."

I never felt that way about D3 but they don't have a dev blog with the first sentence being if obvious bias.
---
#24MarikhenPosted 5/16/2014 3:06:30 PM
Mad_Cow46 posted...
I never felt that way about D3 but they don't have a dev blog with the first sentence being if obvious bias.

I tend to take developers' words with a grain of salt these days. I mean when Blizzard commented on wanting to give players more choice and freedom in character builds so that they could have more fun with them prior to the launch of 4.0.1 it sounded great.

Then 4.0.1 launched and it was such a mess that you saw issues like how Survival hunters and Unholy death knights literally had only one "path" through their trees for PvE DPS. All of the "alternative" skills were for PvP or, in some cases and only with regards to Unholy, tanking and subsequently downright useless for PvE DPS. Hell, Unholy actually required you to waste points in passives that were useless for a PvE DPS role, something that I hadn't noticed in any class much less Unholy prior to 4.0.

Then there were the developer claims regarding Mass Effect 3 that were misleading, not the entire truth or entirely true, or were outright lies. /shrugs.

At this point if a developers' actions and work substantially match their public comments and claims I tend to be mildly impressed no matter how much or little I like their work.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#25Mad_Cow46(Topic Creator)Posted 5/23/2014 9:25:46 PM
If blizzard posted that "the economy was the most important aspect of the game" would you have believed it? I would have. Obviously they've tried to correct it in a more violent way than I would have done but they tried at least. So far GGG have not really made any effort to prove that statement otherwise.

Such a hardcore game should have good game play as it's most important mechanic not a fake economy.
---
#26MarikhenPosted 5/24/2014 6:40:01 AM
Mad_Cow46 posted...
If blizzard posted that "the economy was the most important aspect of the game" would you have believed it?

No.

Mad_Cow46 posted...
So far GGG have not really made any effort to prove that statement otherwise.

Working as intended by the developers isn't the same as working as desired by the players.

Mad_Cow46 posted...
Such a hardcore game should have good game play as it's most important mechanic not a fake economy.

ARPGs really shouldn't have economies to begin with, but that doesn't seem like an opinion shared by many others. /shrugs.
---
#27Mad_Cow46(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2014 7:02:38 AM
"Working as intended by the developers isn't the same as working as desired by the players."

Indeed as they intended. For better or worse.

"ARPGs really shouldn't have economies to begin with, but that doesn't seem like an opinion shared by many others. /shrugs."

I'm not sure why but I guess it is what it is.
---
#28BlackDruidLOLPosted 5/31/2014 8:20:38 AM
I pretty much stopped playing this game because I have hit a brick wall in merciless. Same brick wall with 3-4 different characters. When I hear news that drop rates are better I will play again.

This is an amazing game, but I am a self-found player, and if I can no longer progress because I want to play self-found, then I guess I've finished the game already in my mind.
#29JowyBlightPosted 5/31/2014 10:25:54 AM
I agree that the drop rates are pretty lousy in this game, but self-found is perfectly viable with the right build and playstyle, pretty much up to the highest levels.
---
"Riou...you came. Just like you promised. ...here we are ...here once again."