Playing as a female

#1Lun-SeiPosted 10/4/2012 5:43:30 AM
Why is it that a few animals, like the gazelle and the deer, give you the option to play as a female, but most of the other animals only allow you to play as a male? Seems to me that if you can play as a female in some species, you should be able to play as a female in all the species.
Or is it that in the Japan version, the gender of the animal you play isn't actually specified?
---
Lun-Sei's FIIIIIGHT channel --> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9DCCF0AF186E6967
#2angry_cowtipperPosted 10/4/2012 6:37:35 AM
Because eh.
---
Darksiders II (PC), TTT2 (PS3), Dungeon Defenders (AND), Gravity Rush, Cliff Diving (VITA)
#3squiggy9996999Posted 10/4/2012 6:54:48 AM
short answer: japan isn't exactly the most gender equal country?

i didn't even notice there were any females in this game except the mates to be mounted. i thought that was odd when i first noticed it, then said "eh" and played some more. it is a bit odd, but would it really add something to the game to get into those kinds of details?
#4Lun-Sei(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 7:31:56 AM
squiggy9996999 posted...
short answer: japan isn't exactly the most gender equal country?

i didn't even notice there were any females in this game except the mates to be mounted. i thought that was odd when i first noticed it, then said "eh" and played some more. it is a bit odd, but would it really add something to the game to get into those kinds of details?

Yes, it would.
It's very easy for you to dismiss this because you're a male, so you didn't even notice. But if all playable animals of this game were only females, trust me, you'd notice and feel something is missing.
---
Lun-Sei's FIIIIIGHT channel --> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9DCCF0AF186E6967
#5squiggy9996999Posted 10/4/2012 8:40:00 AM
"It's very easy for you to dismiss this because you're a male, "

lol not really, now you're making assumptions about me but you have no idea what kind of person i am. i didn't dismiss it because i'm male, i dismissed it because it's what i expect from japanese game design.

this game is very basic, it's more of a ps2 game than a ps3 game. to create a complete set of distinct behavior patterns for female animals would cut the number of playable animals down (maybe the map too), is that a better game? FPS games have the same issue: sadly most gamers would prefer a bigger game than one that has to cut content for female voice acting and character models, animations etc...

so would you rather cut more of this game out so we could see a female version that would be mostly the same scenario but a female deer instead of a male? for me the answer is no, so i say "meh" and just play it. obviously the voice acting would not apply to this game, i was just talking about game design in general when i made my point.

i prefer female avatars in games 90% of the time, but i can't see it adding anything really to this game. what would a female deer or bear really add? i just don't see it. Sure, the female lions are in the game - that's the only animal i can think of that showed a male/female difference.

they are animals after all, not people. sorry for the long post.
#6marvzwest911Posted 10/4/2012 9:29:02 AM
Lun-Sei

i Noticed that aswell. mostly Male Animals and once in a great while it will be a girl. i dont know if its properly put into the game since my Deer turned back into a male or hes just, you know.... swings both ways...
#7garaciusPosted 10/4/2012 10:21:20 AM
For certain animals playing the female would make more sense. I believe it was lions in which the females did majority of hunting. Nitpicky and ultimately pointless considering but just throwing it out there.

Realisticly, I'm just mildly peeved at Escapist magazine for making me spend more this month (albeit on a great game but still). So far having lots of fun mostly dicking around. Think I'll get the wolf or something before tackling story. just got beagle after starting this morning.
---
Make a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life
#8lain8Posted 10/4/2012 11:03:02 AM
As a female, I immediately noticed that you could only be male... Which I don't like in most games. But it doesn't bother me, probably because it's not like the animals have giant testicles bouncing around (that bothers me more IRL) LOL.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/lain8/ohitislove.png Oh, it is love.
#9Lun-Sei(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2012 11:14:51 AM
lain8 posted...
As a female, I immediately noticed that you could only be male... Which I don't like in most games. But it doesn't bother me, probably because it's not like the animals have giant testicles bouncing around (that bothers me more IRL) LOL.

Yup. The lack of female option for most animals is an issue, which male players won't notice unless the game actually made you only play as a female.

What bothers me is that some animals -have- the female option so it would have been basically zero effort from the developers to make all animals with a female version available. This is my issue: it would have cost them nothing to add that.
You just needed to change the mating animation (which they already did for the animals available in both genders, so it's possible) and to change the phrase to "the male alpha/common/desperate is available/following you" (which again, they already did).

Heck, they could add that in a patch.
---
#10Holy_SerpentPosted 10/4/2012 12:35:25 PM
Lun-Sei posted...
lain8 posted...

Yup. The lack of female option for most animals is an issue, which male players won't notice unless the game actually made you only play as a female.

What bothers me is that some animals -have- the female option so it would have been basically zero effort from the developers to make all animals with a female version available. This is my issue: it would have cost them nothing to add that.
You just needed to change the mating animation (which they already did for the animals available in both genders, so it's possible) and to change the phrase to "the male alpha/common/desperate is available/following you" (which again, they already did).

Heck, they could add that in a patch.

What would be the point of playing a female? The game wouldn't change at all, except for a few character models.
---
Pkmn=RJ FC 0817-0223-3392
PSN ID: HolySerpent
More topics from this board...
Nomination TopicDark_Koopatrol37/13 6:37PM