This is a troubling trend.

#1GregSol1dusPosted 9/16/2010 8:35:13 AM
I like japanese games because they're a quirky counter point to the serious grey and brown tones and macho space marines of the US and I don't think a "western" influence was ever needed in DMC or FME or any other game that was basically outsourced.These misguided attempts at escaping the dying japanese game market are starting to irk me.
#2CthulhuDagonPosted 9/16/2010 10:52:38 AM
I agree, I don't think Japanese developers need to "change their ways", just more like Improve their ways.

Hell, I'm one of the few people I know that really doesn't care for the Mass Effect series.

I grew up with Squaresoft's games like Secret of Mana, FF4/6, Chrono Trigger, but as well as Might and Magic games and the original Baldur's Gates. I liked them both for what they were and didn't want either to emulate each other.

Westernizing Japanese games is just a bad idea, and seems to fail more often than not. The exception being games like Demon's Souls.

I'd have a heart attack if Atlus gave in and westernized SMT games/spinoffs.

If anything, Japanese devs should pay attention to what Atlus does, as they're probably one of the last respected game companies over there actually trying to innovate and do good things. At least from my biased perspective.

---
White line is in the middle of the road, that's the worst place to drive.