"What do you mean by 'reboot'?"

#11AxelOfTheFirePosted 9/23/2010 11:18:38 AM
I thought they answered the question of why Dante is the way he is well enough in games 1 and 3. Dante does a lot of what he does in response to his mother's death and his failure to do anything about it. He has also been said to have been similar to Sparda in terms of his rebellious side and nature.

In 3, I believe Dante even talked about how he and Vergil were to some degree also their father's soul with each of them representing aspects of their father. It's worth noting that Dante's color is red while Vergil's is blue, which mix to make the color purple which was the color Sparda was typically represented by.

I suppose a more concrete example might be an alirght thing to go into. And a more mature and better written story could also benefit the games, though a part of me has always enjoyed the incredibly hammy aspects of this series and rather hope they keep some of that in.

Still, when I think back on Kamiya's comments in regards to Dante, he always desired not to really tell too much of his past in order to maintain a sense of mysteriousness in regards to him, which I thought rather worked.

Of course, this is a reboot. Which, if I understand correctly, means that all the other games are essentially being thrown out in favor of something entirely new overall. It sort of gives NT free reign to tweak pretty much any aspects of the story though of course they'll keep certain standards like Ebony and Ivory.

I suppose one can't blame Capcom for wanting the games to sell more and thus trying to make it so the game will be appealing to a wider audience. Still, as mentioned, they seem to be alienating the people who did like and buy the games in the process.

Handing it to a studio like Ninja Theory is rather odd too. They've only got two games that I know of and I haven't played either of them. But I've heard the first one was decent enough though much too short and Enslaved isn't out yet.

Personally, I'm not fond of much in the trailer. I do rather like the whole morphing weapon bit though one of the fun things of DMC were all the crazy ridiculous weapons you were able to obtain. Dante's look though could use some improvement or maybe his appearence gradually changes in the game to one more similar to what we are familiar with. I definitely don't like or understand the smoking, though that may seem an odd thing to not like.

Still, it's a teaser and we really didn't get to see much so maybe it will get better. Big maybe though.
---
"I don't know about you, but I'm havin a ball"-Marv
#12TheOriginalMaxPosted 9/23/2010 11:29:24 AM
^Good post.
I agree.
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Patience is a virtue but I'm a sinner.
#13DevinPosted 9/23/2010 1:15:41 PM
I just don't understand why they would reboot a series that isn't even complete. The ONLY two logical reasons I can think of is that they want to make more money and possibly the fact the time line of all the dmc games are so crazy/misplaced. (1, 2, 3 and 4 is actually 3, 1, 4 and 2.)

But anyway, [SPOILERS FOR DMC2]
-
-
-
-
I enjoy the origin stories, I do. But I strongly dislike how games come out, then a sequel, then the company decides to do various back-stories left and right, instead of continuing where they left off. Like DMC2, I admit is the weakest in the series and not many like it.. But it ends with Dante pretty much getting ready to bring the fight to the whole demon underworld by diving straight into hell and looking to face everything head-on, leading up to the possibility of an awesome game. But no, they decide to pretend dmc2 never existed and backtrack to games before it within the timeline, and then now with this reboot they are just going to drop it. Such a weak cliffhanger and leaving the audience with the last thought of Dante ('our' Dante) riding off into the fires of hell looking for a fight. the end.
-
-
-
-
[END SPOILERS]

I would much rather see a sequel, a TRUE sequel to DMC ala DMC5. The origins, the back-story, all the other stuff was awesome.. But I think they should go back to the roots and make a true sequel, with DANTE. No Nero or Lucia, no taking the backseat for a new character, but with giving us our actual DMC protagonist. DMC1 and DMC3 did great.. Capcom should just realize the best games in the series had us playing as Dante and following the main-story of DMC.. Not sub-stories and new characters as their leads. (Look at Metal Gear Solid and the reaction most people have of Mgs2 when they found out they had Raiden as their main character and solid took a backseat.) They should just look at the areas they failed at, and try to improve. By rebooting the series, they are going to gain new fans, but also lose lots of fans of the original series who are insulted at such a drastic change.

This new DMC DOES look good, I'll admit.. But that is not Dante.. and its not Devil May Cry. They should just make a whole new game instead of slapping on an established name just to get attention. Make this and make a true DMC5 instead.

Anyway.. I'm sure this will improve over time, and its too early to give an overall opinion, but dropping a trailer like that was to stir attention, and that they did. I just disagree with rebooting a series that is just now close to hitting the 10 year mark, with only 4 games under its belt and a story that was left incomplete. Sad. :\
---
This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here - Tidus (FFX)
#14ShakaV(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2010 6:44:58 PM

It makes sense to do a reboot. the only origin story told to us by DMC3 was the origin of how he unlocked his devil powers, and how he opened his shop. They want to explore the character of Dante more, and give fans the reason for why he is the way he is.

COD didn't sell 5 million copies, it sold much much more than that. They ar referring to action titles such as GoW and Uncharted, other 3 person action adventure titles. They want DMC to be mainstream, the same way Kamiya wanted the combat in Bayo to be mainstream. Capcom is just trying to do the same thing and it's foolish to be mad at the for wanting to make money out of this.

I don't see anything wrong with them wanting to take this type of combat and make it mainstream.

I know MW2 2 sold almost twice of that, I was exaggerating and threw that figure to try to get a point across.

According to vgchartz: God of war sold about 3 million and Uncharted sold about 3.66 million. Not 100 % sure if this is accurate, but according to a post I read, god of war 3 costs were twice that of devil may cry 4. Considering DMC 4 sold almost on par with god of war 3, to expect us to believe that profit was not there is hardly believable.

Devil may cry shouldn't be compared to Uncharted either, as uncharted isn't a hack and slash and has a third person shooting element to it. Devil may cry with a third person/first person shooting element could possibly destroy the series for me.

-------
@TheOriginalMax
I can see where your coming from. Your post made me realize something that should've been obvious to me from the start. There's a big difference between buying the 1st original game of a series than buying it's sequels. When you buy the sequel of a game, you risk missing vital information to the storyline as well as that sense of familiarity you would've had, if you had played the previous games beforehand. While Many gamers address this issue by looking online to catch up/see if they would be missing out on a lot by buying a sequel, I believe the casual gamer could just not bother and skip the title all together.

Perhaps Capcom saw the DmC reboot as an opportunity to get casuals onboard who may feel uneasy with picking up a title with the the number 5 or on it. Keep in mind that 360 is the first console owned by many gamers. Unlike those who own a backwards compatible ps3, 360 players would be forced to buy a ps2 if they wanted to know more about Dante and his origins. This may have been another reason Capcom decided to include Nero in Dmc4. A fresh character with no back history, along with a returning cast to satisfy the old fans.
--------

@Devin
I agree with your post. They should've at least concluded the series and gave us a proper ending with DMC5 before attempting a reboot. If this game tanks, it might spell the end of the devil may cry franchise and any future installments.

-------
This whole reboot brings me to my new question, what's next after the DmC reboot? Since they said the Dante from the DmC reboot IS the Dante we all know and love, what could the possibly release next? No matter where they continue, a game will be ignored (unless they decide to set it again before devil may cry 3).
#15TheOriginalMaxPosted 9/24/2010 4:38:40 AM
This may have been another reason Capcom decided to include Nero in Dmc4. A fresh character with no back history, along with a returning cast to satisfy the old fans.
This is true but DMC4 did offer the whole story while installing, so nothing important was really missed.

This whole reboot brings me to my new question, what's next after the DmC reboot? Since they said the Dante from the DmC reboot IS the Dante we all know and love, what could the possibly release next? No matter where they continue, a game will be ignored (unless they decide to set it again before devil may cry 3).
Indeed.
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Patience is a virtue but I'm a sinner.