C/D: If this game is an Alternate Universe, you'd be ok with it.

#1WingedRegentPosted 9/24/2010 9:35:37 AM
Just a curious thought. If the game really is an AU and doesn't connect to DMC1-4 in any way aside from name, would you be ok with the game and the direction it takes? Note that it being an AU means that it'll be entirely separate and will not trash, hinder, or disrupt the current canon of DMC in any possible manner

*votes C*
---
Co- Owner of Teams Demon and Saviour for the BT series.
Holder of the 500th post in the Naruto ODT for 1/19/08: Naruto vs. Sasuke.
#2GirgantePosted 9/24/2010 9:37:49 AM
D.

There's only 4 games of which only 3 have a story, and only 2 of those 3 need to be considered for story(unless one intends to use Nero)... so no, seeing as there isn't much lore and it isn't hard at all to connect a new story to what has been previously established - I do not want them to throw it all away for an alternate universe. I want the new game to be connected to the canon.

---
No matter what happens, there will be a solution when it happens. - Yoh Asakura, Shaman King
PSN: Girgante; WoW: Zepheldir, Death Knight, Sporeggar EU
#3WingedRegent(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2010 9:40:16 AM
The thing is that if it's an AU, it won't throw away the canon. A good example would be The Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man. Both of which exist within their own canon without stepping on the toes of one another. It'll be a deviation without breaking the canon or harming it + we can still get a DMC 5 in the future, so we get an entirely new take on the series and then, the chance of the original canon being revisited.
---
#4GirgantePosted 9/24/2010 9:43:09 AM
But that's a totally different scenario. Here what would happen if they really rebooted the series would be that they'd throw away the previous canon for good. They wouldn't develop 2 different DMC streams. It's not like making a comic, which you can run for a few months to see if it catches on. Serious money goes into games.

Plus, Spider-man has loads upon loads of story - so reboots, what-ifs and re-imaginings are cool. There's only been 4 games of this series so far, and the story is quite simplistic and short, so there's no need for reboots or alternate universe or anything. All they need to do is build on what's there already.

---
No matter what happens, there will be a solution when it happens. - Yoh Asakura, Shaman King
#5Malus_X6Posted 9/24/2010 9:43:59 AM
I'd be fine with it as an AU. They pull that crap in comics all the time. You can chalk up just about every comic-book movie as taking place in an AU. Marvel's notorious for that.

---
"Oh yeah? I HAVE lived a little. And you know what? IT FREAKIN' SUCKED!!" -Me, to my friend when getting me to do something stupid.
PSN: LordMalus
#6WingedRegent(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2010 9:46:11 AM
I don't like the idea of the "reboot" either, but the "reboot" is them rebooting the current canon, which is what I dislike and I loathe the game for, but if the game were to be taking an AU direction with the story. Not stepping on the canon of the 4 pre-established games or anything of that sense. I can see what you mean, though. The games haven't even been around for 10 years (Next year= DMC 10 Year Anniversary) and they're already rebooting the series. It's VERY stupid IMO, but if it's an AU type of deal, I can see myself being ok with it.

I'd be fine with it as an AU. They pull that crap in comics all the time. You can chalk up just about every comic-book movie as taking place in an AU. Marvel's notorious for that.

That's why I used Spider-Man as my example.
---
#7GirgantePosted 9/24/2010 9:49:38 AM
One of the interviews(latest I think) suggests that it is a prequel btw. They're saying now that they meant reboot in the sense that they're going back to his origin story.

---
#8WingedRegent(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2010 9:52:14 AM
One of the interviews(latest I think) suggests that it is a prequel btw. They're saying now that they meant reboot in the sense that they're going back to his origin story.

I heard about that and, IMO, it comes off as damage control since they even acknowledge the horrible fan feedback + some people are even more annoyed at it being a prequel since it steps over Canon by Dante's appearance alone (Black Hair, yet he was born with White hair + his voice sounds deeper than DMC 3 Dante, yet he's younger). It's also why I made the topic to a degree since some people dislike it being a prequel. If it wasn't a prequel and was just an AU, with no bearing on the current canon, would fans be more accepting of it?
---
#9GirgantePosted 9/24/2010 9:53:35 AM
The hair colour thing... I don't know why people are complaining. He could very well be simply dying it. >_>;;

---
#10WingedRegent(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2010 9:55:30 AM
My complaints stretch beyond the hair (It's his overall look to me.), but that's just me, and Ninja Theory seems condescending by only going, "lol he haz white hair zomg!" in their interviews, as if to say that fans are only complaining about the hair, which isn't the case for a good majority.
---