The new look's intention makes no sense according to what they've SAID.

#1TheOriginalMaxPosted 8/14/2011 7:04:18 AM
Ok first off this new look is clearly intended to appeal to... Dare I say it..? Kids these days.
The look is relevant to WESTERN audiences(only). Defeating the whole purpose of what DMC was supposed to be: A Western themed over-the-top-Japanese-high-octane-hyper-action game. DMC has always been Western themed(Gothic is West of East, no?) and I think I read somewhere that Dante got some influences from cowboy movies.
It's just a big middle-finger to the people who enjoyed the "Japanese-y" style.

Now then, the whole intention(according to what they've said) behind the look is completely defeated by "he changes into the Dante we all love". Why allow him to change back into what we liked if the intention is to get new fans with the new look? I'll tell you why, they're pulling a curtain over everyone's eyes with that. They're hoping that existing fans will go "Oh, he changes back? Well that's all fine and dandy then, I'll buy it". All the while they hope new fans(fans who aren't necessarily reading interviews) will state(not literally say) "this new look is relevant to me and the time I represent, I'm buying this", then as Dante changes back to how we know him as, these new people will have already made a personal investment in the character and won't mind him changing his hair color. BUT what NT(or maybe they're just delusional) and Capcom have completely failed to realise is that the "underground" look is not mainstream. Underground is always underground, the complete opposite of mainstream. When it's the mainstream Capcom want to appeal to with the "5 million" comment.

This is what they're going for. It's nothing more than greed, deception and conformity. I'm just pointing out something that people should be taking into consideration. They're not catering to ANY requests whatsoever here. So this game is NOT made FOR the fans, it's made (in hopes of it)to sell. BUT they're self-defeating themselves with the decisions they're making.
Reboots are a sneaky way to approach games. There are fans that will stick to a series no matter what it does, even if it violates the fans(literally), reboots are made in hopes of fans sticking to the series while appealing to a new audience.
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Patience is a virtue but I'm a sinner.
#2StrelokPosted 8/14/2011 10:43:09 AM
It also makes no sense whatsoever and personally I feel that the ones who greenlighted this should be shot, but sadly, that causes international conflict.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haruhiism.jpg
#3Malus_X6Posted 8/14/2011 11:02:32 AM
Shot, drawn and quartered.

---
Official Elder God of the PS3 MK Board.
PSN: LordMalus
#4myghostisdeadPosted 8/14/2011 3:13:04 PM
I have been trying to figure out what they were doing from day one.
#5StrelokPosted 8/14/2011 3:30:24 PM
Drugs, clearly.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haruhiism.jpg
#6AnomylousPosted 8/14/2011 3:45:55 PM
I've been wondering...has anyone any opinion of the Castlevania reboot? I wasn't on that board much but I did play the game and thought it was fairly good. It was certainly not as much Castlevania I knew it, but nowhere near the projected DmC levels of butchery. Unfortunately it didn't feature a recurring character in a new light (or darkness?) so comparisons to DmC are limited.

And yes, I agree. I think I made a similar argument, possibly in my FourthDriveDive parody topic.
---
It's actually spelled anomalous. But that's why it's anomylous...
#7vgundamPosted 8/14/2011 5:46:42 PM
Anomylous posted...
I've been wondering...has anyone any opinion of the Castlevania reboot? I wasn't on that board much but I did play the game and thought it was fairly good. It was certainly not as much Castlevania I knew it, but nowhere near the projected DmC levels of butchery. Unfortunately it didn't feature a recurring character in a new light (or darkness?) so comparisons to DmC are limited.

I didn't like the Castlevania reboot. The combat was nice and the castle looked great, but it was far away from feeling like Castlevania. The look, mood, and atmosphere was all wrong. The music (which was horrible by the way), the environments, and the enemies. It was more like Lord of the Rings meets Van Helsing, than being more like Hammer horror films with cheesy halloween elements. The fact that the castle was put in the middle shows how importance the creators where putting on making the game feel like classic Castlevania.

But it probably appealed to God of War noobs, so I guess Konami were a successful in trying to get more sales through a non Japanese group.

I'm gonna stop because I could go on FOREVER about Lords of Shadow.
---
Planet of the NOOBS
#8xanketsuPosted 8/14/2011 5:51:05 PM
Anomylous posted...

And yes, I agree. I think I made a similar argument, possibly in my FourthDriveDive parody topic.

I played it for about an hour, and the feel is really different from both traditional Castlevania, and Metroidvania. It feels more like LOTR game, and I picked up more of "Olde Ye English" vibe - maybe because of the narration.

Many says that the game will start to get more interesting after you're about 4-6 hours deep, so maybe I'll sink in in the future.

However, the biggest difference between this Castlevania reboot and Donte's case is that Mercury Steam is really humble when compared to Ninja Theory. They are not trying to make themselves look cool.

So I'm more like "Ah the game is below my expectation... this is unfortunate, better luck next time, mate."
---
I'm learning English.
#9UbberDevilPosted 8/14/2011 7:58:38 PM
I enjoyed Lords of Shadow for what it was and I've played nearly all Castlevanias (yes even the NES ones but not 2 nor the N64 ones). I'm also not a God of War fanboy. I played the 2 on PS2 but they got old quick for me. As for Lords of Shadow, the story was ok. It would have been nice if we had gotten to see Gabe become corrupt rather than Patrick Stewart just tell us that he was. Really I didn't notice any change in Gabe's personality during his journey. He even brushed off that whole fiasco with the blonde girl pretty well (won't spoil it). And I enjoyed the combat: had plenty of upgrades and the light/dark moves were cool. Though the robot spider was a bit...stupid. But overall I'd say Mercury Steam did a fine job.

And I would say that rebooting Castlevania made a lot more sense than rebooting DMC. Castlevania started in the 80's with over 20 games now in the franchise where as DMC is just approaching its 10th anniversary with only 4 games.
---
Q- if Satan is the prince of darkness, who's the king?
A- UbberDevil, and Sparda is my Queen. GT: MongooseDave2
#10AnomylousPosted 8/14/2011 8:23:45 PM
Interesting. Mixed results with the reboot, mixed results with fans. Did anyone expect it to be bad/good? Just to get a feel for the expectations compared with the final opinions.

I had no opinion of it because I shortly heard of it before it was released. I knew it was 3D, which was only done like twice in the series before, so I wasn't expecting anything like SotN.

As for DmC, my thoughts are that DMC fans generally expect it to be pretty bad, end up being decent, but do worse than Lords of Shadow because of the steps NT took to, essentially, flip off the fans.
---
It's actually spelled anomalous. But that's why it's anomylous...