One thing I don't get about all the hair arguments...

#1HellsControllerPosted 8/19/2011 12:00:54 AM
Is how most pro-DMC arguers mention the hair and design to try and make the anti-DMC arguers seem like they don't know what they are talking about and whiners. But hear me out, wouldn't this happen for any other game as well? I mean for a second, forget about everything else that is said about this game, whether positive or negative and lets focus on the design of Dante for a bit.

How many can argue that Dante is not a little iconic at this point? 4 games, an anime and books/manga spanning over 10 years. Not many characters get that much. Dante has pretty much remained unchanged over the past 10 years. Sure each game has him looking a little different, but most people can tell who it was supposed to be. Look at him from DMC 1-4 + the anime and you can tell it's the same character. Add the new design to someone who has not heard of this game and I sincerely doubt they will know that the brooding, dark haired drug dealer is supposed to be Dante.

But why does that matter you ask? I believe it does matter. Look at some of the most successful games of all times with reoccurring characters. There is little change throughout the designs. Mario is still Mario after 25 years. Sure he evolved from a 16(it is 16 right?) bit character to what he is now, but his basic design stayed the same. Mario has had pretty much the same look and voice since the N64. That was over 15 years ago.

Look at other iconic characters. Samus Aran, Kirby, Master Chief, Ryu from SF, Mega Man. How much have they changed without counting graphical improvements? Very little. Now think about how much people would rage if Nintendo decided to change Mario into a completely different character for his next console release? And they turn him from a fat Italian plumber to an athletic, sword wielding Canadian. Or if Ryu from Street Fighter became a nerdy black guy.

Let's apply this to movies as well. What if during the Harry Potter films they switched the role of Harry from Daniel Radcliffe to Jason Statham after the 5th movie for no reason at all(looking at you Iron Man 2). People would get very upset. And they would have a reason to be upset. Especially since they wouldn't be able to understand why this unnecessary change was made.

I know that this topic is gonna most likely derail somehow. I'll get attacked by some people, who in turn will get attacked by the "other side" and turn into a hundred reply argument and flame war. Since a lot of people bring up the hair thing constantly I thought it'd be a good idea to write this. Why shouldn't people be mad at the new design? Please, I'd like to hear what you guys disagree or agree with.
This topic probably has been posted before, and written much better. But it's 3:00AM and I'm tired so I did my best.
---
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and claim somebody famous said it." ---George Washington.
#2StrelokPosted 8/19/2011 12:17:17 AM
The biggest issue I have with the pro camp screaming about the hair is that it isn't about the hair anymore. It's still an issue, but it really isn't about the hair. Gameplay, total canon butchery and being treated like trash are my biggest issues.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haruhiism.jpg
#3HellsController(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2011 12:21:30 AM
I understand that. In fact I agree with you completely. But a lot of people on this board( and especially those "professionals") keep going on with the hair. So that's what I want to know. For those on this board that just keep bringing up the hair argument, well why shouldn't we be mad?
Also it sucks that your pet died a day after my birthday.
---
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and claim somebody famous said it." ---George Washington.
#4CrimsonEdge48Posted 8/19/2011 12:27:06 AM
People are still seriously mad about the hair? You'd think they would pay attention more to the gameplay rather than the hair. Oh well, I'm just worried about how the actual game's gonna turn out.
---
PSN:KingSpade51 (Send me a message first.)
"A man can do little at death's door, save knock."
#5HellsController(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2011 12:37:07 AM
Did you not read my post? I'm worried about the game play. But what I sangho know is why people use the hair argument to try to downplay the so called haters.
---
#6_Uwye_Posted 8/19/2011 12:57:14 AM
CrimsonEdge48 posted...
People are still seriously mad about the hair?

Didn't you read the previews? In some of them the writers still mock the fans over it (and over it only).

For example:

"During the Devil Trigger attack, your hair also turns white. So everyone can chill out, the all-important gameplay feature of white hair is still in the game."
#7StrelokPosted 8/19/2011 1:40:59 AM
By writing that I already have no interest in their article anymore as they didn't do their homework. Journalists are supposed to do their homework.

And yeah, it sucked that she died, it's even worse when you realize my birthday is on the 27th of August.
Worst birthday ever.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
#8SpacePirateSealPosted 8/19/2011 4:28:57 AM
This game won't even sell as good as... Mystery Game X. When a developer ignores it's original fanbase and then tries to create something new in order to bring in a new fanbase.... This of course is done by stripping the games down and adding unwanted/uneeded features and taking away the most important things. The game won't sell if you do that. Capcom most likely gave Ninja Theory the game as a test to see what would happen if they tried to change an unbroken game.
---
PSN->TheReal_Seal SSF4AE Mains: Vega Sub: Orochi_Oni, Yang!
Chunli-"you wouldn't want to touch any other stick."PKMN Black FC: 4427 2869 9532
#9StrelokPosted 8/19/2011 4:59:00 AM
It should be met with disaster.

Who is in favor of pillaging Capcoms offices?
---
#10TheOriginalMaxPosted 8/19/2011 5:34:40 AM
Sorry didn't have the energy to read. Just posting here so it's easier to keep track of.
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Patience is a virtue but I'm a sinner.