Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the locked 30fps?

#1Black OutPosted 8/20/2011 5:47:55 AM
Only con I know is less smooth character animations.

Only pro I know is that they can focus on the environment more.
---
The Official Manchester Black of the C&GN Board
"Fly me to the moon, and let me play among the stars. . . "
#2SinisterSamuraiPosted 8/20/2011 6:32:25 AM
Environmental rendering doesn't really have anything to do with it. DMC1 and 4 all had great backgrounds at 60fps.
---
Parsons: "'The art of fighting without fighting'? Show me some of it."
Lee: *nods* "Later."
#3InfiniteDemisePosted 8/20/2011 6:35:27 AM
Cons: Everything...

Pros: None
---
" Its said that God made the universe and wants everyone to praise him.... Talk about an egomaniac "
#4_Uwye_Posted 8/20/2011 6:36:23 AM
Black Out posted...
Only pro I know is that they can focus on the environment more.

That's just PR BS to make you believe that 30fps was a deliberate choice. The Unreal Engine 3 can't run above 30fps unless you cut a lot (and I mean A LOT) of graphical corners.
#5GoldsicklePosted 8/20/2011 10:01:50 AM
SinisterSamurai posted...
Environmental rendering doesn't really have anything to do with it. DMC1 and 4 all had great backgrounds at 60fps.

Well, DMC1-4 had still, unmoving backgrounds most of the time.

According to what I heard, the lowered fps is to accommodate the environment distorting in real time.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#6Dark_AlexanderPosted 8/20/2011 10:07:25 AM
Goldsickle posted...
SinisterSamurai posted...

Well, DMC1-4 had still, unmoving backgrounds most of the time.

According to what I heard, the lowered fps is to accommodate the environment distorting in real time.

I bet not using inferior tech would've fixed that.
---
You wanna know why fans hate the new Devil May Cry? Read this: http://captainstarball.com/opinion/devil-may-cry-fan-explains-backlash
#7bobbysjobyPosted 8/20/2011 10:08:13 AM
dmc 4's environments were very dated, if there is a pro, it's that it apparently allows them to have these weird morphing environments, which for now sounds pretty badass

it all depends on how they're implemented

sadly the combat looks a little bit choppy at times, and the graphics, while better than the second trailer, are still rough in spots
#8_Uwye_Posted 8/20/2011 10:26:43 AM
Once and for all, the lowered framerate has nothing to do with the environment. The game runs at 30fps because the engine they are using can't run above 30 fps. Trying to pass that as a deliberate choice so they can use more CPU power for the backgrounds is just PR BS and I see that a lot of people fell for it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/15118967/Hitting-60Hz-in-Unreal-Engine

-UE3 was (is) designed for 30Hz FPS/3rd person action genre titles.
-UE3 brings a lot to the table (nice tools, wide feature set) but imposes a lot of heavy fixed costs
-There are also some choices made in the engine that have problematic side effects for 60Hz play
-Out--of of--the--box fixed cost baseline (especially GPU) too high for a 60Hz title.

This was discussed to death months ago. Can we drop it now?