How I think DMC5 could change,but stay the same

#1ZekenarPosted 1/8/2012 8:15:06 AM
This is how I think Dante should "evolve' in gameplay, same would apply to Nero only his Buster would work like Bayonetta's Torture Attacks(without the button mashing), meaning if you get hit, you lose the ability to use Buster until you build your Style meter back to a certain point.

I think the style system should be consolidated into his standard move-set. His evade roll should be acrobatic flips like they were in DMC2, and the Trickster dash should be handled like Nero's Table Topper.

Royal Guard would be used like Bayonetta's Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa, push toward the enemy attacking to block. If you block at just the right time, you activate Doppelganger, or your DT gauge fills.(one or the other).

Swordmaster and Gunslinger, become part of Dante's standard attacks, Aerial Rave is performed by attacking in the air, and Helm Splitter is performed by holding forward and attack(similar to Nero in DMC4), Dance Macabre could be the back- forward motion. For Two-some Time you rotate the analog stick and fire, then aim like normal. Rain Storm could be the air version of this.

You have two attack buttons, one gun button and the jump button. Instead of punch/kick, or light/heavy, you assign a melee weapon to each attack button(for example; Rebellion to triangle and Cerberus to circle) and their combos are still performed in the typical DMC style.

You can equip two guns and switch between them with R2. L2 is used to switch between sets similar to Bayonetta. So you basically have four guns and four melee equipped at once.

The D-pad could be used for items or taunts. Assign a specific item or taunt to each of the buttons on the D-pad. L1 is still DT, and R1 is still Lock-on.

Does this sound like the basis for a great DMC game? Thoughts, criticisms, or statements on how you didn't read my wall of text?

I have an idea for the story that involves Dante being gone for a long time and coming back to find all of his friends dead. Trish, before dying in his arms, points to the words "Dante, I told you I would return" written in blood on the wall.

But that is if anybody cares, to read another wall of text.
---
Currently fighting off an invasion of zombified, poo-flinging, voodoo chimps riding vampiric aardvarks, commanded by ravenous were-donkeys
#2RichterB17Posted 1/8/2012 10:01:05 AM
I stopped at acrobatic flips. Not because it was a bad idea, but because that's exactly what NT doesn't want. They said that this Donte is more of a street brawler, they don't want him doing acrobatic flashy things.
---
eff a dawg!!!!!!!
#3Zekenar(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2012 11:34:19 AM
RichterB17 posted...
I stopped at acrobatic flips. Not because it was a bad idea, but because that's exactly what NT doesn't want. They said that this Donte is more of a street brawler, they don't want him doing acrobatic flashy things.

I should have considered that people might think I was talking about DmC. Sorry about that. I meant how I think gameplay in an actual DMC5 could be changed for the better, and not how to save NT's "wanna be."
---
Currently fighting off an invasion of zombified, poo-flinging, voodoo chimps riding vampiric aardvarks, commanded by ravenous were-donkeys
#4RichterB17Posted 1/8/2012 11:50:25 AM
Zekenar posted...
RichterB17 posted...

I should have considered that people might think I was talking about DmC. Sorry about that. I meant how I think gameplay in an actual DMC5 could be changed for the better, and not how to save NT's "wanna be."

Oh my bad lol
---
eff a dawg!!!!!!!
#5ejshinPosted 1/8/2012 1:21:45 PM
Zekenar posted...

Swordmaster and Gunslinger, become part of Dante's standard attacks, Aerial Rave is performed by attacking in the air, and Helm Splitter is performed by holding forward and attack(similar to Nero in DMC4), Dance Macabre could be the back- forward motion. For Two-some Time you rotate the analog stick and fire, then aim like normal. Rain Storm could be the air version of this.

They have pretty much streamlined the "style" system and weapon switch into one system with the Angel and Demon modifiers. Switching between Angel and Demon mode alters your attacks as well as your moves. Angel mode gives you the Skystar ability from Trickster as well as turns your guns into a whip that pulls you towards enemies/objects. Demon mode gives you the axe, brawler moveset with kicks, shoves, and the downward smash launcher as well as modifying your guns into a whip that pulls demons and objects towards you.

You have two attack buttons, one gun button and the jump button. Instead of punch/kick, or light/heavy, you assign a melee weapon to each attack button(for example; Rebellion to triangle and Cerberus to circle) and their combos are still performed in the typical DMC style.

I don't like this idea. It waters down the gameplay too much. I think the one button attack system with a quick weapon switch feels better. This would be turning the DMC gameplay into MVC3 style and I didn't like the way that system worked.
#6Zekenar(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2012 7:05:53 PM
ejshin posted...
Zekenar posted...

I don't like this idea. It waters down the gameplay too much. I think the one button attack system with a quick weapon switch feels better. This would be turning the DMC gameplay into MVC3 style and I didn't like the way that system worked.

You still have the one one button attack system of previous games, but you would have two Devil Arms that you can use with out tapping an extra button to access.

For example; You have Rebellion and Cerberus equipped, instead of tapping Triangle for Rebellion then L2 then Triangle again to use Cerberus, you can simply press triangle for Rebellion and circle for Cerberus. Add to that the set switching idea from Bayonetta and you have easier access to four Devil Arms than in the past.

How would it be like MVC3, and what is wrong with MVC3?
---
#7DevilD2005Posted 1/9/2012 7:13:23 AM
I would get rid of dante, The game should be a purely Nero experiance, maybe Dante has a cameo or something near the end/beggining but if you cant focus on Nero and his sense of identity, then the game would be rendered pointless. Nero has potential to be a good successor to Dante, but this will only happen if Capcom doesnt hold back and goes all out like they did with the other DMC games.
#8ejshinPosted 1/9/2012 12:47:28 PM
Zekenar posted...
ejshin posted...
Zekenar posted...

You still have the one one button attack system of previous games, but you would have two Devil Arms that you can use with out tapping an extra button to access.

For example; You have Rebellion and Cerberus equipped, instead of tapping Triangle for Rebellion then L2 then Triangle again to use Cerberus, you can simply press triangle for Rebellion and circle for Cerberus. Add to that the set switching idea from Bayonetta and you have easier access to four Devil Arms than in the past.

How would it be like MVC3, and what is wrong with MVC3?

Ah, I misunderstood your original post. I can see how that would work, but why not keep the DmC style of L2 and R2 modifiers to change the weapons and have the D-pad assigned to 4 different weapon sets. Give you the option of altering the L2 and R2 modifiers as well and you have 12 weapons you can use and customize on the fly rather than 4.

MVC 3 mapped specific attacks to the ABCD button layout and while it worked okay for new characters, it changed how the old characters used to work. MVC3 just felt too unfamiliar to me. It's the reason I did not like this style.
#9Zekenar(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2012 7:22:38 PM
ejshin posted...
Zekenar posted...
ejshin posted...
Ah, I misunderstood your original post. I can see how that would work, but why not keep the DmC style of L2 and R2 modifiers to change the weapons and have the D-pad assigned to 4 different weapon sets. Give you the option of altering the L2 and R2 modifiers as well and you have 12 weapons you can use and customize on the fly rather than 4.

MVC 3 mapped specific attacks to the ABCD button layout and while it worked okay for new characters, it changed how the old characters used to work. MVC3 just felt too unfamiliar to me. It's the reason I did not like this style.

Mapping any necessary button commands to the d-pad is a bad idea if you can avoid it. DMC4 couldn't really avoid putting the style-change on it, but I guess it worked.(my fingers still hurt thinking about it) Putting something like usable items or taunts makes more sense because they are actions that are not really necessary.

Having modifiers is okay, but it still seems like they make the combat a little more complex than it should have to be. Because you have to continually press L2/R2 to alternate between the different weapon, or worse you have to HOLD L2/R2. Just sounds like more button pressing/holding than is needed IMO.
---
#10rice_noodlesPosted 1/9/2012 7:42:13 PM
Bayo's general scheme

Royal Guard is self explanatory.

Bayo's dodge [R2] becomes Dash and Skystar, and maybe Mustang, Flipper, Wall hike
Bayo's crow teleport [Lockon] x 2 becomes Air Trick; add in directional modifier for destination position so you can do something like Side Starrave and Reverse Starrave (think ZOE2 Zero Shift)

Right analog stick [360] rotation + [gun] = twosome time/fireworks
Crazy combo version of [360] + [gun] = honeycomb
Air [360] + [gun] becomes rainstorm
[Backward] [forward] [gun] can be one way to do gunstinger and other shenanigan
Need more moves? The 360 input can be separated into clockwise and counter clockwise.

Aerial Rave doesn't need style button as seen in Nero
[360] [sword] can be round trip while holding sword button can be Drive.

Probably can't fit everything without touching the d-pad, but I'm sure a lot of moves can still be fitted with 360 input or backward-forward. Too lazy to think of implementing other moves. It's not like I'm a game designer or anything.