How I think DMC5 could change,but stay the same

#11Zekenar(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2012 1:52:40 AM
rice_noodles posted...
Bayo's general scheme

Royal Guard is self explanatory.

Bayo's dodge [R2] becomes Dash and Skystar, and maybe Mustang, Flipper, Wall hike
Bayo's crow teleport [Lockon] x 2 becomes Air Trick; add in directional modifier for destination position so you can do something like Side Starrave and Reverse Starrave (think ZOE2 Zero Shift)

Right analog stick [360] rotation + [gun] = twosome time/fireworks
Crazy combo version of [360] + [gun] = honeycomb
Air [360] + [gun] becomes rainstorm
[Backward] [forward] [gun] can be one way to do gunstinger and other shenanigan
Need more moves? The 360 input can be separated into clockwise and counter clockwise.

Aerial Rave doesn't need style button as seen in Nero
[360] [sword] can be round trip while holding sword button can be Drive.

Probably can't fit everything without touching the d-pad, but I'm sure a lot of moves can still be fitted with 360 input or backward-forward. Too lazy to think of implementing other moves. It's not like I'm a game designer or anything.

Personally I think having an extra button for dashing is a bit redundant. Everything that you mentioned could be added to the jump button. Dash would be handled like Table Topper, Skystar could be forward and jump in the air. For Wall Hike you just jump towards the wall(like Ninja Gaiden, and Prince of Persia), and for Flipper you just push jump while falling. Air Trick could be Forward-back jump, or forward-forward
jump.

I think using the left analog stick+gun instead of the right analog stick+gun would be easier. Tapping any of the face buttons while rotating the right analog stick would be damn near impossible, without holding the controller in an uncomfortable way.

The rest is pretty much what I said in my OP.
---
Currently fighting off an invasion of zombified, poo-flinging, voodoo chimps riding vampiric aardvarks, commanded by ravenous were-donkeys
#12rice_noodlesPosted 1/11/2012 2:06:21 AM
Dash isn't Table Hopper. Table Hopper is activated by dodging an attack, it is an evasive move. Tricker Dash was an evasive move, but it can also be used by itself as a means of traversal.

Forward and jump wouldn't work either. A player should still be able to jump in the direction they want.

And I don't think it's redudant to have two button. Jump is for vertical and Dash is for horizontal. Merging the two is just streamlining it too much and leads to other complications. The way your idea works, moves are gonna come out accidentally.
#13Zekenar(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2012 2:34:19 AM
rice_noodles posted...
Dash isn't Table Hopper. Table Hopper is activated by dodging an attack, it is an evasive move. Tricker Dash was an evasive move, but it can also be used by itself as a means of traversal.

Forward and jump wouldn't work either. A player should still be able to jump in the direction they want.

And I don't think it's redudant to have two button. Jump is for vertical and Dash is for horizontal. Merging the two is just streamlining it too much and leads to other complications. The way your idea works, moves are gonna come out accidentally.

While I understand what you are saying, moves wouldn't come out accidently because lock-on acts as a modifier. If you just push forward and jump you will double jump forward, but if you push forward and jump while locked-on you will do Skystar. Maybe that does make things a little more complex than it should.

If you removed Evade Roll then Dash is needed, but if you keep Evade Roll(see OP), it becomes redudnant. If Dash can be considered a means of traversal than so can Stinger.
---
Currently fighting off an invasion of zombified, poo-flinging, voodoo chimps riding vampiric aardvarks, commanded by ravenous were-donkeys
#14rice_noodlesPosted 1/11/2012 2:51:03 AM
Not a fan of evade roll, I'd rather have evade not on a face button for (slightly) quicker access. I don't see a problem with having both options available like in Bayo.

You lock-on modifier dependent dodging would be needlessly annoying depending on whether the player wants to engage a specific enemy or not with your scheme. I think you notice this already, but you are bringing in DMC4's cluster**** of style system into something as simple as a default jump.

Still not sure how dash can come out with your table hopper idea, since Dash isn't supposed to be lock on dependent. You bring up Stinger, but that one is lock on dependent too. Unless you mean Bayonetta style Stiletto, but I really don't want to press [forward][forward][jump] just to dash.

Really not a fan of your idea of control scheme in terms of these points.
#15Zekenar(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2012 3:51:35 AM
rice_noodles posted...
Not a fan of evade roll, I'd rather have evade not on a face button for (slightly) quicker access. I don't see a problem with having both options available like in Bayo.

You lock-on modifier dependent dodging would be needlessly annoying depending on whether the player wants to engage a specific enemy or not with your scheme. I think you notice this already, but you are bringing in DMC4's cluster**** of style system into something as simple as a default jump.

Still not sure how dash can come out with your table hopper idea, since Dash isn't supposed to be lock on dependent. You bring up Stinger, but that one is lock on dependent too. Unless you mean Bayonetta style Stiletto, but I really don't want to press [forward][forward][jump] just to dash.

Really not a fan of your idea of control scheme in terms of these points.

While I'm beginning to agree with you, I still don't like having dodge mapped to a button, it just seems like a waste. I guess I am too attached to the lock-on feature that seems to be going out the window after Bayonetta. But as long as the dodge is acrobatic flips like in Bayonetta or DMC2(one of the few things it actually did right) I'm okay with it.

I think the Dash animation should only be for when you perfectly dodge an attack,like Table Topper, and the flips would be for when you press the dodge button. I am personally not a fan of the Dash in general because it is just so bland. That is why I prefer the acrobatics, it acts the same , but visually it looks better.
---