So did Capcom or NT explain why they're using the Unreal graphic engine?

#1DrLight66Posted 1/11/2012 7:59:13 PM
Because it's stupid, i mean stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid. 30fps in a super fast paced, twitch reaction based hack n slash game? Why use such an idiotic graphic engine that can't run animations fluidly and will no doubt cause a lot of cheap hits because you didn't see an attack coming because frames are skipping like crazy? It's like playing with lag basically. So all the other DMC games run at a smooth 60fps... and this runs at half the framerate and choppy as hell. There's no excuse for such bs.
---
"My cat just gave birth to kittens, and none of them look like me. Hallelujah! Hallelujah!" - Tim Cavanagh
#2Vault_ZeroPosted 1/11/2012 8:16:08 PM(edited)
The Capcom in-house engine is in full Japanese, the name slips me for the moment ( MT Framework 4.0? ). That is there excuse basically.

However, in the time it took, 1 full year to come up with bad character design, they could have translated it and teach them how to use it.

But hey, NT promised us that it will FEEL like 60 FPS and FEEL like Bayonetta. That's something, right? <-<

Edit: Oh, and you won't get cheap hits, the enemies telegraph their attacks 3 seconds before they do anything. By that time you could just move to there -->, or roll to there ---------------------------------> and every attack in history of gaming will miss.
#3DrLight66(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2012 8:42:07 PM
True, but using royal guard to parry is going to be a pain because of the choppy framerate since you need to do it perfectly to get the full parry. Again it's basically like playing with serious lag, not input lag but graphic lag.
---
"My cat just gave birth to kittens, and none of them look like me. Hallelujah! Hallelujah!" - Tim Cavanagh
#4gtomangaPosted 1/11/2012 8:54:10 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/24uxo60.jpg
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hacd8HxLnAU&feature=channel_video_title
skip to 30:20
---
YS,megaman,shin megami tensei,growlencer,sonic,spider-man,batman, sly cooper FAN
#5Vault_ZeroPosted 1/11/2012 8:57:10 PM
DrLight66 posted...
True, but using royal guard to parry is going to be a pain because of the choppy framerate since you need to do it perfectly to get the full parry. Again it's basically like playing with serious lag, not input lag but graphic lag.

I am sorry to burst your bubble, but the style system is gone.

We have a human form which uses Rebellion, or a badly drawn version of it.
We have an Angel form which uses a Scythe.
We have a Demon form which uses an Axe.

Then there are Ebony And Ivory, or what is left of them, and an overused gimmick whip.

The Angel/Demon swapping will be exactly like Heavenly Sword. So in essence, they are making Heavenly Sword 2.

Going to be great, am I right?
#6ejshinPosted 1/12/2012 8:40:15 AM
NT doesn't have funding or dev time to develop their own engine and the MT framework documentation is all in Japanese. They were familiar with Unreal from their experience on Enslaved.
#7Jereth8Posted 1/12/2012 11:10:49 AM
arkham asylum used unreal and its fluid and pretty as any fighting game
#8ejshinPosted 1/12/2012 11:22:33 AM
Jereth8 posted...

Batman also moves slower and the system never demands twitch reflexes with short frame windows to pull off advanced techniques and moves like DMC 3/4. Though, they've already slowed down the gameplay to account for the lower framerate. I like to see DmC's combat closer to DMC1's combat and pace with elements from DMC 3/4 sprinkled in. Though, a lot of people here do not want to accept a system with a lower skill ceiling than DMC 3/4.
#9rice_noodlesPosted 1/12/2012 1:58:59 PM

You mean the Arkham Asylum that
- is much slower
- has slowdown mid game so you can react in time (Bane rush)
- has hilariously lenient button input window for counter
- has so much handholding that you just press one button, and it'll automatically move your batman half way across the room to the selected enemy, auto decide the attack for you, and in many cases ignores enemy attack

Though, a lot of people here do not want to accept a system with a lower skill ceiling than DMC 3/4.

It's not the case that it's a system with a lower ceiling than DMC3/4. It's not even a system comparable to DMC3/4.
#10PineappleFistPosted 1/12/2012 2:42:24 PM
Not only is the MT Framework's documentation all in Japanese, but it's also Capcom's proprietary, in-house engine.

Allowing Ninja Theory to develop DmC using the MT Framework simply because they're working together would be like letting Taco Bell and Pizza Hut have KFC's secret recipe simply because some chains happen to feature all three restaurants in one building.

Making your own in-house engine takes lots of time and money, hence why many companies use other people's engines. Ninja Theory doesn't strike me as the most technically savvy game studio so I really doubt that they'd ever invest in making their own source code.