Found a comment about the TMNT issue that maybe applies to the DmC controversy

#1Dark_AlexanderPosted 3/29/2012 7:45:32 AM
Hey people I read this editorial from IGN's Joey Esposito:

http://comics.ign.com/articles/122/1221505p1.html

In the comments section I found this comment from user Kingdom.Of.Steel. It seems to have some of the same underlying issues many of us against the new direction feel with regards to why we're voicing our opinions. Some of us may not even realize it. Just switch out the appropriate names, terms, and circumstances with that of Devil May Cry and DmC. I just thought it was an interesting perspective.

Ok, the whole "if you don't like it don't watch it" train of thought is pretty stupid when you think about it for more than 2 seconds.

The problem isn't that anybody is being forced to watch it; the problem is that it deprives us from a proper TMNT movie. We were long due for one, but how long is it gonna take before this reboot is forgotten and we can finally have another one?

10 years?
15?
Maybe even more, if this gets sequels!

Screw that. The rage is just, and it is appropriate. The problem isn't that we have to see the Bay reboot, the problem is that we're being robbed of an actual TMNT movie that respect the source material's origin story. This isn't a re-interpretation like when we've been given before, this is something else entirely, and there's no reason for it. It's a stupid change, and if you disagree, you need to grow some balls and a brain and start looking at the big picture from a rational point of view.

And the worst part is: there's millions of n00bs that are gonna watch it, and think THIS is what the TMNTs are supposed to be like, so there's a chance future instalments will be made to cater to them.
Still think it's "harmless" as long as we don't watch it?
Use your heads, guys. This harms the fans, whether we watch it or not. It was bad enough we were gonna get an ugly cartoon in 2012, now we have to deal with this Bay crap, too.

The comments here.. I swear.
"the original premise for TMNT is silly anyway so why does it matter if they're aliens now!!1"
God, talk about missing the point.

---
You wanna know why fans hate the new Devil May Cry? Read this: http://captainstarball.com/opinion/devil-may-cry-fan-explains-backlash
#2StrelokPosted 3/29/2012 8:26:02 AM
it looks indeed incredibly similar to this game.
Or "Shadowrun" on the 360.

And
Producers.
Don't.
Ever.
F***ing.
Learn.

Where is my f***ing shotgun.
---
Goodbye Bubbles, dearest of pets. I'll miss you, always. 2nd June 2004 - 22nd August 2009
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l493/TTripweed/Haruhiism.jpg
#3RichterB17Posted 3/29/2012 8:56:53 AM(edited)
Edit: I removed my comment not realizing you said the comment section. I thought the people of IGN said something good for once.
---
eff a dawg!!!!!!!
#4FrostDancer289Posted 3/29/2012 8:50:30 AM
...Seriously, the guy really gets it and really nailed the feelings of the long time fans on the issue of changing a franchise into something that doesn't even resemble the original. When I read that comment, I did like you said DA and basically switched out terms, names and such...and my god were they similar.

It's a shame to see franchises like TMNT be butchered by mediocre people who don't even know the first thing about the franchise in question and the same applies to the DMC series as well.
---
THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT? - Bad Dudes
#5TheOriginalMaxPosted 3/29/2012 9:03:30 AM
Good find.
---
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
#6249_US_dollarsPosted 3/29/2012 10:20:07 AM
He assumes that a "proper" one would be made if this one weren't.
---
Don't count your chickens until they've hatched
That's chicken humor for "don't be cocky"
#7Dark_Alexander(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2012 10:37:49 AM
249_US_dollars posted...
He assumes that a "proper" one would be made if this one weren't.

I don't understand your point, even if your assumption is correct about him. Are you saying to just have no standards on anything and never bother because it could never happen anyway? Or are you saying his image of a "proper" movie is like looking for the perfect mate, where there is nothing that can be satisfactory to him?
---
You wanna know why fans hate the new Devil May Cry? Read this: http://captainstarball.com/opinion/devil-may-cry-fan-explains-backlash
#8249_US_dollarsPosted 3/29/2012 10:57:57 AM(edited)

I don't understand your point, even if your assumption is correct about him.

What did I assume?

My point is that he shouldn't be calling a sentiment stupid if he's not going to back up his argument against it. His main point was that the new movie delays (or removes) the possibility of a "proper" movie, but how do we know that, in the hypothetical world where this movie was never going to be made, a proper one would be made? We don't, unless some sort of evidence is given. Since there isn't, it's an assumption.

Also, I'm not at all an expert on the Ninja Turtles, but it seems this whole "alien" comment that he's worked up about might be taken out of context and overblown.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5525-Mutants-and-Masses
---
#9Dark_Alexander(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2012 11:26:15 AM
249_US_dollars posted...
I don't understand your point, even if your assumption is correct about him.
What did I assume?

My point is that he shouldn't be calling a sentiment stupid if he's not going to back up his argument against it. His main point was that the new movie delays (or removes) the possibility of a "proper" movie, but how do we know that, in the hypothetical world where this movie was never going to be made, a proper one would be made? We don't, unless some sort of evidence is given. Since there isn't, it's an assumption.

So the opportunity for a "proper" movie to be made when he already doesn't like this this project isn't a valid argument?

Also, I'm not at all an expert on the Ninja Turtles, but it seems this whole "alien" comment that he's worked up about might be taken out of context and overblown.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5525-Mutants-and-Masses

Bay specifically stated they're an "alien race" and has not retracted the statement. The context is pretty clear. Overblown is debatable.
---
#10249_US_dollarsPosted 3/29/2012 12:02:02 PM

So the opportunity for a "proper" movie to be made when he already doesn't like this this project isn't a valid argument?

Without any evidence, its just a hypothetical. It can't be an argument against anything because he doesn't know if it's true or not. Maybe they would have made a proper TMNT movie is this new one weren't being made? Maybe they would have made a worse movie that would end up spawning a century-long franchise and retconning the old TMNT entirely. Maybe this new one spurs interest among younger generations for the older TMNT and speeds up the creation of a proper movie.

It's like Pascal's wager for nostalgic throwbacks. Just because "new, terrible movie," and "proper movie that adheres to everything we know and love" are the two most obvious scenarios doesn't mean they are the only two scenarios.
---