Destructoid Hands-on Preview

#1shatterstarPosted 4/10/2012 2:27:45 PM

http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-preview-dmc-devil-may-cry-225522.phtml

#2_Uwye_Posted 4/10/2012 2:38:10 PM
I found that it's quite enjoyable to pull yourself up in the air and slash at an enemy relentlessly with the game's push/pull grappling system. The same system lets you draw enemies toward you, doing more damage in close range. The most rewarding use of this system is to pull yourself up to flying enemies, pummel them with close-range attacks, and then, as you begin to fall, pop them up even higher in the sky, pull back up, and slash again. With good timing, this can be repeated continuously, keeping movement upward, with the camera pointing upward into the sky as Dante slashes the s**t out of baddies, dramatically backlit by the sun. This all feels just as satisfying as pulling off an aerial rave in a fighting game, so much so that I feel like Ninja Theory has taken some inspiration from recent fighters for DmC's combat system.

tl;dr Staying in the air forever takes no skill but apparently this is a good thing.

Though maybe a bit more accessible, Ninja Theory made it clear that the combat in DmC is not dumbed down.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. No lock-on, infinite air time, one-button special moves. But it's not dumbede down. Nononono.

Overall, the takeaway here is that DmC has nailed an evolution in gameplay for the series

"Professional" reviewer. Don't you love them?
#3ejshinPosted 4/10/2012 2:41:20 PM
_Uwye_ posted...
I found that it's quite enjoyable to pull yourself up in the air and slash at an enemy relentlessly with the game's push/pull grappling system. The same system lets you draw enemies toward you, doing more damage in close range. The most rewarding use of this system is to pull yourself up to flying enemies, pummel them with close-range attacks, and then, as you begin to fall, pop them up even higher in the sky, pull back up, and slash again. With good timing, this can be repeated continuously, keeping movement upward, with the camera pointing upward into the sky as Dante slashes the s**t out of baddies, dramatically backlit by the sun. This all feels just as satisfying as pulling off an aerial rave in a fighting game, so much so that I feel like Ninja Theory has taken some inspiration from recent fighters for DmC's combat system.

tl;dr Staying in the air forever takes no skill but apparently this is a good thing.

Though maybe a bit more accessible, Ninja Theory made it clear that the combat in DmC is not dumbed down.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. No lock-on, infinite air time, one-button special moves. But it's not dumbede down. Nononono.

Overall, the takeaway here is that DmC has nailed an evolution in gameplay for the series

"Professional" reviewer. Don't you love them?

I don't know. Simplified controls can have depth. Look at Smash Bros. It had a very simple control scheme that any novice could pick up and have fun with, but it had layers of depth that a hard core gamer could totally exploit and be unstoppable with wave dashing and quick and devastating combos.
#4rice_noodlesPosted 4/10/2012 2:45:59 PM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. No lock-on, infinite air time, one-button special moves

To be fair, Ninja Gaiden doesn't have lock-on, and at least the first 2 plays fine with auto lock-on. Then again, this is NT making the game...
#5_Uwye_Posted 4/10/2012 2:58:52 PM
ejshin posted...
I don't know. Simplified controls can have depth. Look at Smash Bros. It had a very simple control scheme that any novice could pick up and have fun with, but it had layers of depth that a hard core gamer could totally exploit and be unstoppable with wave dashing and quick and devastating combos.

DmC being dumbed down doesn't mean it doesn't have any depth at all, but simplified controls have less depth than non-simplified ones, obviously.

rice_noodles posted...
To be fair, Ninja Gaiden doesn't have lock-on

NG also plays differently, just like God Hand for example.
#6shatterstar(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2012 2:59:28 PM

This is all you need to know.

"The combat? Soooo good. If you take nothing else away from this preview, at least take away that the combat in DmC feels really, really good as it features a crazy-fast response time on all attacks, making Dante's various moves seem like they're flying off your fingertips. I found myself playing through the demo stage a few times, mostly because the combat felt so nice -- it's so tight and responsive that I wanted to try it again and again."

Not so good. Soooo good! With 4-O's lol. Dante's various moves seem to be flying off your fingertips!

I know it sounds sooo good but don't dip into your rent money just to buy this game day of release. Put some money to the side and wait for a release date please.

#7rice_noodlesPosted 4/10/2012 3:02:46 PM

NG also plays differently, just like God Hand for example.

Bayonetta can be played with extremely minimal use of lock-on. That plays close enough to DMC.

Not saying the combat looks good. Hell no. But lock on alone isn't inherently a deal breaker.
#8249_US_dollarsPosted 4/10/2012 3:07:47 PM

This was introduced in 4, you know. It was lame there and it's unfortunate they brought it back, imo, but at least this time it doesn't have a button almost dedicated to it.

DmC being dumbed down doesn't mean it doesn't have any depth at all, but simplified controls have less depth than non-simplified ones, obviously.

That's not at all obvious. This is pretty vague, but I think you would agree that DMC has simpler controls than the fighting game sort of controls for combos that NG uses. But I wouldn't say a bunch of superficially-different combos add much in terms of depth.
---
Don't count your chickens until they've hatched
That's chicken humor for "don't be cocky"
#9_Uwye_Posted 4/10/2012 3:27:13 PM(edited)
249_US_dollars posted...
This was introduced in 4, you know.

It wasn't as bad as it's here. Nero was affected by gravity, his Devil Bringer hadn't the ridicolous reach of the whip and the only way to push himself and the enemy upwards in the air was through Enemy Step. In short, it needed at least some skill. Compare with DmC where this "journalist" that obviously has no experience with the series can immediately go to the stratosphere after playing a couple of hours.

It was lame there and it's unfortunate they brought it back, imo, but at least this time it doesn't have a button almost dedicated to it.

Yeah, it has just been replaced with a dedicated launcher button.

That's not at all obvious. This is pretty vague, but I think you would agree that DMC has simpler controls than the fighting game sort of controls for combos that NG uses. But I wouldn't say a bunch of superficially-different combos add much in terms of depth.

You are comparing apple to oranges. DmC is dumbed down compared to DMC(3-4), I'm not comparing its depth to other games or saying that simple controls can't have depth. Compared to the old games in DmC you can do less but more easily. If it's not dumbing down then I have the meaning of the expression wrong.

shatterstar posted...
Not so good. Soooo good! With 4-O's lol. Dante's various moves seem to be flying off your fingertips!I know it sounds sooo good but don't dip into your rent money just to buy this game day of release. Put some money to the side and wait for a release date please.

We get it Shatterstar, you are a capcom employee payed to hype their games on message boards. Guess they took a hint from EA.
#10249_US_dollarsPosted 4/10/2012 3:38:10 PM

You are comparing apple to oranges. DmC is dumbed down compared to DMC(3-4), I'm not comparing its depth to other games or saying that simple controls can't have depth. Compared to the old games in DmC you can do less but more easily. If it's not dumbing down then I have the meaning of the expression wrong.

How do you know you can do less? Have I missed some big source of information about the combat? I don't believe we know all the moves, yet.
---
Don't count your chickens until they've hatched
That's chicken humor for "don't be cocky"