Did I miss it or was it in the demo?

#1Archimonde123Posted 7/4/2012 8:17:52 AM
It didn't seem like there was a "style" system in the demo...

I thought that was one of the most unique things about Devil May Cry... stylishly killing demons to the best of your creativity...

I hope I missed it... going to watch that demo again.

I saw the laddering at the top right but it seemed like a score/point system if anything.
---
I mostly lurk... in fact if you see one of my posts you might as well shoot for the lottery because it's THAT RARE.
#2AtrabiliousPosted 7/4/2012 8:22:41 AM(edited)
There is no style system any more.

The closest thing you get to that is the option to utilise slow but powerful attacks and fast but weak attacks in addition to a balanced middleground, ala lolHeavenly Sword.

From what we've seen Royal Guard has basically been reduced to "Collide your weapon with an enemies attack to temporarily disable them".
---
| Xbox 360: Atrabilious | PS3: Jazzy_Bones |
Currently Frequenting: The Dark Souls, DmC & Dead or Alive 5 Boards.
#3Archimonde123(Topic Creator)Posted 7/4/2012 8:22:25 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

But isn't that the entire point of DMC? Being stylish and making unique, beautiful combos?

Awwww man... I guess my only hope now is really cool weapons to play with...
---
I mostly lurk... in fact if you see one of my posts you might as well shoot for the lottery because it's THAT RARE.
#4AtrabiliousPosted 7/4/2012 8:28:29 AM(edited)
Simplification of the battle mechanics has been a big point of contention on this board for a while.

There are a lot of people who will agree that it is bad and a step in the wrong direction, and there are a lot of people who will agree that it is good and the way forward.

I'm one of the former. I have no doubt one of the latter will swing in on a rope, tell you I'm a jaded, bitter hater and attempt to sell to you why a game with less options is better. As if we didn't learn from DMC4 that Nero wasn't anywhere near as fun to play as Dante.
---
| Xbox 360: Atrabilious | PS3: Jazzy_Bones |
Currently Frequenting: The Dark Souls, DmC & Dead or Alive 5 Boards.
#5Shaft228Posted 7/4/2012 8:30:45 AM
Atrabilious posted...
There is no style system any more.

The closest thing you get to that is the option to utilise slow but powerful attacks and fast but weak attacks in addition to a balanced middleground, ala lolHeavenly Sword.

From what we've seen Royal Guard has basically been reduced to "Collide your weapon with an enemies attack to temporarily disable them".

Did anyone expect anything different from the Heavenly Sword creators?

Thinking the mediocre hacks who made that game could make a combat system that plays like DMC3/4 is crazy.

I don't know why they couldn't just collaborate with NT if they wanted some crappy punky story and a New Dante - handing them the keys to the gameplay is just nonsensical.
#6Phantom_Opera_GPosted 7/4/2012 8:39:36 AM
like Atrabilious says its like they trying to squeeze Heavenly Sword's control scheme into Devil May Cry and while it may have worked in HS but HS is not DMC. They (Ninja Theory) made a nice God Of War clone in HS and if I was green light a GOW spin off they would be on the list - however I would probably have to Visceral Games (Dante's Inferno) for getting that tight 60fps but if I couldn't get them I'd take NT - but GOW is not DMC
---
MvC3 | Dante Magneto Zero | Morrigan Wolverine Wesker |Felicia Hagger Iron Man | Others |Chun Li Spider-Man Akuma X-23 Viewtiful Joe
SSFIVAE | Juri
#7SlaveBladePosted 7/4/2012 8:39:42 AM
Archimonde123 posted...

But isn't that the entire point of DMC? Being stylish and making unique, beautiful combos?

DMC1 didn't exist I guess?
---
Interested in a RP with witches and murderous people with a heavy dose of medieval fantasy?
http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26004&st=0
#8Phantom_Opera_GPosted 7/4/2012 8:42:20 AM
^ well DMC was the first game and Rome wasn't made in a day.
---
MvC3 | Dante Magneto Zero | Morrigan Wolverine Wesker |Felicia Hagger Iron Man | Others |Chun Li Spider-Man Akuma X-23 Viewtiful Joe
SSFIVAE | Juri
#9JELIFISH19Posted 7/4/2012 8:54:32 AM
Archimonde123 posted...

You can do that in DmC. Are you talking about styles like Gunslinger, Trickerster, and Royal Guard or the system that grades you on how well you're playing? The styles of DMC3 and 4 aren't in it but they do grade you on how well you're doing and how creatively you're playing. When you're doing well, the music changes and your weapons get power-ups.
---
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
SSF4AE + BBCS2 + UMvC3 + MK = Life - Waiting desperately for Skullgirls
#10ezekial45Posted 7/4/2012 10:46:43 AM(edited)
The style system you are familiar with has been changed to the form system.

You can switch in and out of different forms on the fly with the trigger buttons. The styles from the previous games have been refitted into the three forms for DmC. Also, they've incorporated similar gameplay from Nero's fighting style. So DmC Dante plays like a mix between classic Dante and Nero.

Human Form (neutral) - Gunslinger, Swordmaster
Angel Form (Left trigger) - Trickster, Devil Bringer pull
Devil Form (Right trigger) - Royal Guard, Devil Bringer grab

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeg_Xp1wGM0

Watch the E3 demo video, they explain everything.
---
Would you kindly......