whats different in this?

#1GrapeKiwiPosted 11/2/2012 8:34:45 AM
compared to the other ones that makes people dislike this so much?
---
Hi guys! I'm an ex HoN semi-pro who streams Dota 2 and PS1/PS2 GAMES: currently streaming FF7/Tales of Phantasia
http://www.justin.tv/kawaiikiwix3
#2LancerLigarPosted 11/2/2012 8:45:14 AM
It's a matter of nostalgia partly. A lot of fans of the original series played each game once or even multiple times before the next in the series comes out allowing each game to grow on us in different ways. Then the process repeats with the fourth game except instead of DMC 5 people get thrown for a loop as Capcom does something unexpected and reboots the franchise without tying up the loose ends for the original DMC series.
---
Gamertag: Lunar Legend PSN: LunarLegendX
#3Ether101Posted 11/2/2012 8:55:04 AM
LancerLigar posted...
It's a matter of nostalgia partly. A lot of fans of the original series played each game once or even multiple times before the next in the series comes out allowing each game to grow on us in different ways. Then the process repeats with the fourth game except instead of DMC 5 people get thrown for a loop as Capcom does something unexpected and reboots the franchise without tying up the loose ends for the original DMC series.

All the nasty comments and idiotic statements made by Capcom and Ninja Theory are the reasons this game gets all the heat that it does.
---
Gamers have lost their pride.
Complacency can be a sin.
#4RayconPosted 11/2/2012 8:59:22 AM
GrapeKiwi posted...
compared to the other ones that makes people dislike this so much?

The main character. You can go on and on about "the look" all you want, but the personality of this Donte is just unlikeable. I can't see what others enjoy about watching someone act like a pompous douche, but this is real off-putting to myself. Even more insulting when I get to look back at the Dante he stemmed from, someone who I felt overall was a very likeable character by contrast.

The story as seen so far looks... laughable. And not in the intentional way of previous games, but in a way that's hard to believe it's trying to take itself seriously at this point. I can't help but feel it's trying to hard to cash in on some dark and edgy theme in an effort to draw in younger audiences. And frankly, some of the character designs make me think this might even be an attempt to reach out to the "Twilight" crowds.

Gameplay-wise, you have people on both sides of the fence. The "angel/demon" system looks like a pretty big downgrade to the style system we got in DMC3 (haven't played DMC4 yet), and strikes me as more of a weapon switching method than any integration of "styles" (which NT seems to use interchangeably for some reason). A lot of people are disappointed by the hit in frames per second as compared to previous entries, and on the whole people seem to report the game plays a bit slower than past DMCs. Exploration looks stilted; in fact, just about every expo makes the game appear extremely linear. While past DMCs weren't exactly pushing the envelope in exploration, it had a little of the old Resident Evil backtracking, which I thought was a neat tactic for masking otherwise linear progress. Everything I've seen so far appears to be moving down straight pathways with some gliding thrown in, until the game stops you for a scripted battle with enemies, before moving on for more of the same.

Just my thoughts.
---
"Also kind of amusing that he says the 360 is fully BC with original Xbox games."
"Why? Except for some exceptions, it's true."-Sailor Goon
#5LancerLigarPosted 11/2/2012 9:02:06 AM
Ether101 posted...
LancerLigar posted...

All the nasty comments and idiotic statements made by Capcom and Ninja Theory are the reasons this game gets all the heat that it does.

I agree, that why I said nostalgia was only part of the reason.
---
Gamertag: Lunar Legend PSN: LunarLegendX
#6mahroflcopterPosted 11/2/2012 9:02:56 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]