I truly feel Capcom killed the real DMC with Devil May Cry 4

#11KiraYamatoDaManPosted 11/13/2012 2:14:27 AM
UncleWesker posted...
Gameplay wise though it has probably the most refined and well done combat and enemy design in the series. Which is what's important.

I don't think DMC4 was that refined. Nero was fine but I thought Dante was clunky with the styles. I just feel like they're unnecessary. What's the point of changing styles when you could just give us access to everything at any given time? It made doing simple things more difficult than they should have been. I don't think styles should have ever been in DMC.

The whole point of the DMC series is that the game rewards you for being stylish. This isn't "Press X FOR OMG BIG ATTACK" the game
---
Currently playing : Zero Escape ~PSN: AppleDough
#12jcrush089Posted 11/13/2012 2:15:10 AM
Dark World Ruler posted...
I'm starting to warm up to this game in all honesty, and more and more I think how a DMC5 just wouldnt have worked anyways. They could have put far more effort into Nero and made him interesting character, but instead they made him just another son of Sparda and a clone of Dante personality wise and looks wise. He was the focus of DMC4 but instead of doing a story we were all expecting (like Vergil possessing him, he'd be resurrected some way through Nero) we got an inconsequential plot and a character that was never fleshed out for reasons beyond me.

Then the problem with Dante, he was godly-overpowered in DMC4 hardly even breaking a sweat with any of the villains. It made me think "What villain in a future game that isn't Mundus can actually take him on?". That in combination with the newbie Nero made a perplexing path of where the characters and universe would go in DMC5.

DMC4 killed the real series before Ninja Theory rebooted it, and it's all thanks to Capcom. They had every opportunity to make DMC4 the true sequel to DMC1 we always wanted, and they could have if they made that cult of humans wanting to become demons a cult of humans wanting to reincarnate Mundus and Nero being the "key" to Vergil's resurrection. That would have been far better than the actual DMC4, which in the end did nothing more but introduce Nero with little to no explanation or point why he should be there when there's already Dante.

i agree TC however i think dmc2 also help kill the franchise by giving a ending of dante being trapped which made any future game have to be a prequel to dmc2. they tried to escape this by making nero the new lead since dante would be out of the picture but failed
---
I know the odds are against me but if theres a way to win I'm going to find it!
#13Orange00Posted 11/13/2012 2:37:35 AM
KiraYamatoDaMan posted...
UncleWesker posted...
Gameplay wise though it has probably the most refined and well done combat and enemy design in the series. Which is what's important.

I don't think DMC4 was that refined. Nero was fine but I thought Dante was clunky with the styles. I just feel like they're unnecessary. What's the point of changing styles when you could just give us access to everything at any given time? It made doing simple things more difficult than they should have been. I don't think styles should have ever been in DMC.

The whole point of the DMC series is that the game rewards you for being stylish. This isn't "Press X FOR OMG BIG ATTACK" the game

yea, but there is good complexity and then there is unnecessary complexity. It did feel like Dante was thrown in on the last minute and everything slapped together. (note I'm not saying DmC is the right way to go)

For example, Why wasn't royal guard performed with the designated direction button instead of circle? Why do you first have to press style button, just to change the purpose of circle? I realize it's not this simple in practise but it did feel a little unrefined.
#14_Uwye_Posted 11/13/2012 4:02:14 AM
JELIFISH19 posted...
UncleWesker posted...

You make it sounds so easy. There are only three ways to give Dante everything at once:

A: by using the d-pad
B: by using more complex/unorthodox motions (think Bayonetta)
C: by reducing the number of moves/options/features

Every option has its drawbacks, pick your poison. You don't like the styles, others don't like the alternatives.

Hilariously DmC uses both the B and C options instead of only one.

Orange00 posted...
For example, Why wasn't royal guard performed with the designated direction button instead of circle? Why do you first have to press style button, just to change the purpose of circle? I realize it's not this simple in practise but it did feel a little unrefined.

Because Royal Guard has more moves than just Blocking? :S
#15Orange00Posted 11/13/2012 4:36:00 AM
uwye, but you only use one button to perform all of them. Same applies to all styles if i remember correctly. Well also lock-on and left analog pad. It would get tricky to use certain moves because it's near impossible to press directional buttons and analog pad at the same time but surely you understand what i'm after.

other option would be flesh out styles more to make them more justified. Like maybe some other moves could change a little as well when different styles are used or something..
#16_Uwye_Posted 11/13/2012 4:54:47 AM
Orange00 posted...
uwye, but you only use one button to perform all of them. Same applies to all styles if i remember correctly. Well also lock-on and left analog pad. It would get tricky to use certain moves because it's near impossible to press directional buttons and analog pad at the same time but surely you understand what i'm after.

To be frank, no I don't understand very well. :S Sure, once you change style you perform extra moves only with the...er...Style button but...I don't get why this is supposed to be a bad thing. I mean, it can (and it does) get tricky if you want to perform a very complex multi-style combo but it makes things easy when you are doing a single-two style combo.

Are you saying that a better control scheme would have been to use the corresping direction of the d-pad in lieu of Circle to free an extra face button? O_o Because if it's what you are saying...wow, I can't even imagine how uncomfortable it would be. XD

other option would be flesh out styles more to make them more justified. Like maybe some other moves could change a little as well when different styles are used or something..

But they ARE justified. There's no way you could add the Style moves to the other buttons/weapons or add more moves without using more complex motions -which could be accettable for you but not for others- and the other moves/abilities changing a little is already covered by the DT.
#17ChancreScolexPosted 11/13/2012 5:07:24 AM
Can we please stop calling for the removing of options or otherwise dumbing down of games? In this genre, how many games have combat engines that can stand with the latter DMC titles? I can only think of DMC3/SE, DMC4, Bayonetta, and to a lesser extent Ninja Gaiden/Black & 2. You might be able to squeeze God Hand in there somewhere and even still those games came from 3 teams in an entire industry full of s***ty basic hack and slash titles.

DMC4 was only as "refined" as you made it, mechanically speaking that is. Hell, exceed and insta-revving alone shuts most games up.

Its only issue was that Dante's part was horribly paced and you've seen everything they threw at him aside from Blitz. The way they did the backtracking wasn't the best idea, it really felt like half a game at first. And if you play it straight it seemed the only mission where you get to truly spread your wings was mission 17.

That aside, at this moment it still has the best combat engine in an action game. Only edging out 3/SE because you have access to Dante's entire arsenal at any given time.
#18antking61Posted 11/13/2012 5:17:31 AM
Nero wasn't really a cut and paste of Dante. Dante's a goofball, Nero's an ass.

Nero had Sparda blood but he wasn't actually a son of SPARDA. More like a Grandson of Sparda according to speculation which, I have to say, makes sense.

Nero was intended to get a trilogy to explain everything about him. Also, Capcom's already said that RE7 and DMC5 are set for 2015.
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#19hyjinx17Posted 11/13/2012 5:26:30 AM
I really liked 4 and Nero and I personally like his sword, the Red Queen, better than Dante's, though ebony and ivory still beat the hell out of Nero's gun, blue rose was it? Also Nero's arm was really cool. I like that sort of thing, Reminds me of Kazuma in S-Cry-Ed
---
Rainbow Dash is best pony. The only arguement I will accept is for Twilight Sparkle.
#20_Uwye_Posted 11/13/2012 5:29:13 AM(edited)
antking61 posted...
Also, Capcom's already said that RE7 and DMC5 are set for 2015.

Link? As far as I know they only said "new dmcs every two year" (=2015), not DMC5 specifically.