I truly feel Capcom killed the real DMC with Devil May Cry 4

#21Orange00Posted 11/13/2012 4:46:48 AM
Eh, well i guess i was just saying that it feels a bit silly to press one button just to change the purpose of another button, when i could just press the first one and that would already activate whatever action i wanted.

i don't have any ready answers on how to fix this, cuz as you said it's not possible to use directional buttons as designated style buttons.

The idea behind it just isn't the most logical, that's what makes it seem a bit unrefined. So i'm not blaming NT (and capcom?) for trying to think up alternatives.
#22_Uwye_Posted 11/13/2012 5:12:34 AM(edited)
Orange00 posted...
The idea behind it just isn't the most logical

Uh? No, it is logical. Having a button that changes what another button does is a perfectly good idea that's being used all the time (it's used even in DmC FFS). Or you complained that in DMC3 the L2/R2 buttons changed which weapons you used with Square/Triangle instead of dedicating both buttons to another weapon directly?

Seriously, I don't get the problem against the concept of style switching. :S
#23Ether101Posted 11/13/2012 7:00:27 AM
KiraYamatoDaMan posted...
I'm starting to warm up to this game in all honesty, and more and more I think how a DMC5 just wouldnt have worked anyways. They could have put far more effort into Nero and made him interesting character, but instead they made him just another son of Sparda and a clone of Dante personality wise and looks wise. He was the focus of DMC4 but instead of doing a story we were all expecting (like Vergil possessing him, he'd be resurrected some way through Nero) we got an inconsequential plot and a character that was never fleshed out for reasons beyond me.

Then the problem with Dante, he was godly-overpowered in DMC4 hardly even breaking a sweat with any of the villains. It made me think "What villain in a future game that isn't Mundus can actually take him on?". That in combination with the newbie Nero made a perplexing path of where the characters and universe would go in DMC5.

It's not like Sparda himself took on all of Hell.

He had an army with him.
---
Gamers have lost their pride.
Complacency can be a sin.
#24JELIFISH19Posted 11/13/2012 7:06:24 AM
_Uwye_ posted...
You make it sounds so easy. There are only three ways to give Dante everything at once:

A: by using the d-pad
B: by using more complex/unorthodox motions (think Bayonetta)
C: by reducing the number of moves/options/features

Every option has its drawbacks, pick your poison. You don't like the styles, others don't like the alternatives.

While Bayonetta was a more difficult game, I wasn't fighting the controller like I find myself doing in DMC4. There was nothing unorthodox about Bayonetta's controls. All of the moves made sense and you had access to everything at all times. The thing I hate about DMC4 is that dashing, jumping over an enemy, doing rainstorm, then coming down with Shocking is 3 different styles. The extremely simple sequence should not require as much work as it did. Nero was very intuitive but I didn't feel like Dante was at all. They should've removed styles.
---
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
SSF4AE + BBCS2 + UMvC3 + MK = Life - Waiting desperately for Skullgirls
#25sworderPosted 11/13/2012 7:10:57 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#26sworderPosted 11/13/2012 7:12:15 AM
Eh, to make it shorter.

In Bayonetta, if you wanted to have access to everything. You would have to pause the game to change weapons. You only had access to a limited few.

So no, it's not more intuitive.
#27fioriPosted 11/13/2012 7:14:11 AM
JELIFISH19 posted...
_Uwye_ posted...
You make it sounds so easy. There are only three ways to give Dante everything at once:

A: by using the d-pad
B: by using more complex/unorthodox motions (think Bayonetta)
C: by reducing the number of moves/options/features

Every option has its drawbacks, pick your poison. You don't like the styles, others don't like the alternatives.

While Bayonetta was a more difficult game, I wasn't fighting the controller like I find myself doing in DMC4. There was nothing unorthodox about Bayonetta's controls. All of the moves made sense and you had access to everything at all times. The thing I hate about DMC4 is that dashing, jumping over an enemy, doing rainstorm, then coming down with Shocking is 3 different styles. The extremely simple sequence should not require as much work as it did. Nero was very intuitive but I didn't feel like Dante was at all. They should've removed styles.

How can a game be stylish, without styles?

I'm just kidding, lol. DMC 1 was pretty amazing and didn't need styles to be a good game. Styles worked for DMC 3, though. DMC 3 wouldn't be the same game, without styles.

I don't care about DMC 2 and 4, considering they don't exist in my view...XD

The only real DMC games are DMC 1 and 3. It's just like Megaman and Megaman X series. After Willy is definately killed ( just like Sigma was in X8), there won't be any need to keep these series going.

Mundus is the real villain of Devil May Cry. Sparda did fight and sealed him 2000 years ago. Dante fought and sealed him, with the game coming full circle. No sequels needed. DMC 3 just explained how Dante is the Dante we knew in DMC 1. It's the only case where a prequel really works.

DMC 2 is crap and DMC 4 is just a parody of itself. DMC 2 tried to take itself way too serious, while DMC 4 was a joke all the time.

Hopefully DmC is going to be another decent game, trying to focus on story and characters. That's what I would like to see.
#28Vault_ZeroPosted 11/13/2012 7:21:17 AM
I will never understand this. At what point, in a GAME, did game play take a back seat? Read a book or watch a movie for a story?

You want no styles, less options, in a free form combat game like DMC?
---
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
#29shatterstarPosted 11/13/2012 7:41:20 AM
I honestly believe that the franchise wasn't as stable as it could've been. It was full of highs and lows and also becoming dated in it's arcadie gameplay formula and design.

The franchise didn't get better and better with each installment like God of War did. DMC achieved the opposite effect of all that.

So I agree with TC that DMC4 pretty much killed the franchise. It wasn't good and it felt unfinished and pretty much played like all the others so no new experiences there
#30stevenbobPosted 11/13/2012 7:44:10 AM
Devil May Cry 5 would have to take place after 2 or right before it you can pretend its non canon all you want but it is there maybe dmc 5 be about what made dante become this silent character have him start as DMC4 dante then as the story progresses he becomes DMC3 in personality then DMC1 then DMC2 Dante maybe even explain the change in rebellion you will get a fun loving dante then in DMC 6 you get Dante reliving Spardas rebellion and maybe have some returning bosses from 1-5 and some weapons with mundus as the final boss

all the while Nero story continues as Dantes wraps up Dante can still go to his thing but his story would have pretty much ended

there is so much story they could tell and I never really cared for DMC story besides the first games all that matters is they improve the gameplay
---
Shin Megami Tensei Imagine us version name maelxich
Shin Megami Tensei Imagine Japanese version name maelxich