SPOILERS! Why do people hate on the story and concept of DmC?

#1Kou-NurasakaPosted 11/17/2012 7:47:42 AM
I am a huge DMC fan and have been ever since I picked the first one up a few years ago. I've (attempted to play) DMC2, and completed both 3 and 4, and I can honestly say, it is impossible to make sense out of the games collective stories. I mean, the first game made absolutly no sense in terms of story. It was really all about the stylish combat, with Nelo Angelo thrown in without any significant backstory.

DMC 2 I am not even going to touch.

DMC 3 made a bit of sense, and had the most coherant story out of the series, but it still had a very loose mythology.

DMC4 is a complete sham. Rumors abound that Nero might be Vergil's son, but other than that, nothing is ever mentioned about it. His entire D- Trigger is enigmatic, and the inclusion of Sanctus and whatnot, combined with Dante and Trish just makes the game seem halfhearted. Not to mention all of the unexplained things in the game.

So, basically, I'm saying a reboot may not be a bad thing. And from what I've seen of the game, it isn't going to be a disaster. It looks just as fast paced as ever.
#2DuuuDe14Posted 11/17/2012 7:50:09 AM
If you are such a huge fan then you'd realize that the story takes a back seat. Its all about the action.

Also opinions. I enjoyed all of the stories except for 2's.
---
The Official Sons of Sparda of the UMvC3 board
http://i.imgur.com/QqM2W.jpg Silly Tameem, DMCs are for Kamiya.- Solid_Belmont
#3m100t8sPosted 11/17/2012 8:02:31 AM
You will get A LOT of hate for saying your opinon that you don't like DMC4.

However, I'm ok with the reboot idea. The story was already messed up and the reboot didn't make a bad thing to it. I mean just look how the story goes
DMC3>DMC1>DMC4>DMC2. Hell people even doubt if DMC2 has something to do with the story. And Dante persona in it was at it's worse. And how they killed Vergil in DMC1 in the lamest way. Dante kills Nelo Angelo and then realise that he killed his brother Vergil, Seriously. This is the death of Vergil?. And how in DMC4 Nero is possibly Vergil's son. Just too much BS in these games. This is why i think DMC3 has the better story.

And DmC story would be the best out of the four games (even better than DMC3 IMO).
#4Kou-Nurasaka(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2012 8:04:06 AM
DuuuDe14 posted...
If you are such a huge fan then you'd realize that the story takes a back seat. Its all about the action.

That wasn't the point of the question. I was referring to the fact that everybody says this game is ruining the soul of the franchise, when everything but the action is so muddled and confusing. Basically, as long as the action is great, and the story makes sense, I can't understand the hate for the reboot.
#5Kou-Nurasaka(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2012 8:05:30 AM
m100t8s posted...
You will get A LOT of hate for saying your opinon that you don't like DMC4.

I never said I didn't like DMC 4. I thought it was a great game, nearly perfect, but it didn't make any sense. At all.

However, the action was flawless.
#6DuuuDe14Posted 11/17/2012 8:08:34 AM
Kou-Nurasaka posted...
DuuuDe14 posted...

That wasn't the point of the question. I was referring to the fact that everybody says this game is ruining the soul of the franchise, when everything but the action is so muddled and confusing. Basically, as long as the action is great, and the story makes sense, I can't understand the hate for the reboot.

Because the story didnt need a reboot in the first place. And it is ruining it. The soul of DMC is Dante and the action.
Dante is now been replaced by Dino a generic protagonist with a generic backstory. The gameplay has also been downgraded by halving the framerate, simplifying the combat, removing styles, less abilities for each weapon. I can go on.

And if you want to understand the hate just look at NT and Capcom's PR job. BOOM there you go.
---
#7RayconPosted 11/17/2012 8:13:28 AM
Kou-Nurasaka posted...
So, basically, I'm saying a reboot may not be a bad thing. And from what I've seen of the game, it isn't going to be a disaster. It looks just as fast paced as ever.

And this is where we disagree... There may be some continuity errors, but I'll take that over this overt attempt at trying to be "cool" and "edgy", in what I can only describe as all the wrong ways. I'm not fond of this "angsty teen" angle. Maybe I'm just old to see how "cool" it is.
---
"'Devil May Cry' reboot to run at 30FPS but feel like 60FPS"- Ninja Theory
Hahaha, I'll only pay $30 but it will feel like $60!- Flareth
#8Kou-Nurasaka(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2012 9:00:09 AM
Raycon posted...
Kou-Nurasaka posted...

And this is where we disagree... There may be some continuity errors, but I'll take that over this overt attempt at trying to be "cool" and "edgy", in what I can only describe as all the wrong ways. I'm not fond of this "angsty teen" angle. Maybe I'm just old to see how "cool" it is.

I can understand that, maybe the new angle on Dante isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I'm willing to stay open minded enough to not judge the series just because it isn't 100% the same old DMC.

I never really thought that Dante had a great sense of personality continuity from game to game anyway. He was smooth in 1, but then the whole "I should've been the one to fill your dark soul with light!" thing was really corny. DMC2 Dante was nearly emotionless and cold, DMC 3 brought us back to a younger more haughty Dante, and DMC 4 Dante was basically more of a prankster than he had ever been.

Dante hasn't exacatly stayed static throughout the series anyway.
#9roxas9001Posted 11/17/2012 9:00:59 AM
The DMC series didn't have continuity errors til Crapcom got involved.

The DMC1 novel was canon.

http://tinyurl.com/Gilver-Vergil
---
Not changing this until DmCrap flops.
I dislike 90% of the FF fanbase.
#10DuuuDe14Posted 11/17/2012 9:04:14 AM
Kou-Nurasaka posted...
Raycon posted...
Kou-Nurasaka posted...

I can understand that, maybe the new angle on Dante isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I'm willing to stay open minded enough to not judge the series just because it isn't 100% the same old DMC.

I never really thought that Dante had a great sense of personality continuity from game to game anyway. He was smooth in 1, but then the whole "I should've been the one to fill your dark soul with light!" thing was really corny. DMC2 Dante was nearly emotionless and cold, DMC 3 brought us back to a younger more haughty Dante, and DMC 4 Dante was basically more of a prankster than he had ever been.

Dante hasn't exacatly stayed static throughout the series anyway.

1 3 and 4 are actually realistic though. Started off cocky and flippant and selfish. Then matured and became less abrasive but kept his flippant attitude then as more time passed became assured of himself and his abilities and just wanted to have fun and mess around. He still keeps the most important parts of his personality. The stylish, confident vibe and the flippant attitude. 2 i grant you is a wild card that is just so out there i cant make sense of it.
---