SPOILERS! Why do people hate on the story and concept of DmC?

#31sfvfkofPosted 11/17/2012 11:56:00 AM
ShadowZero007 posted...
Strelok posted...
Ooh we know in advance that DMC5 will create more questions and plotholes...

May I ask how you exactly know that? I mean there hasn't even been a draft for the game. And then you dare to say *WE* assume things about this game where at least this game has information about it?
Hypocrites nowadays, tsk tsk.

I wonder if someone said the same thing about DMC4 at some point....

:p But from what I can gather. A lot of people feel that DMC's are more character driven (Well I guess more specifically Dante driven) than story driven in their plots and presentation. I personally don't mind the higher focus and emphasis on story. Of course the gameplay has to provide some sort of par too, It is a game after all. To have a good story with bad gameplay is like a horrid book with the occasional awesome illustration. DmC's story while given a lot of hate (most of which I feel is somewhat unwarranted as the story seems fine imo, not mindblowingly original, but not much is now at days. It's no more they live than the old DMC was Inuyasha or Blade. Either way; the biggest thing to its credit would be the plots presentation, it already feels more solid and flowing than the typical DMC plot, it's all around just a stronger story execution.

I've said it a few times. It won't beat DMC at being DMC, but DmC is it's own beast ;p related to the genealogy without a doubt, but it's traits and strengths lie somewhat elsewhere. The gameplay may not be quite as frenzied or quick as the peak it reached in DMC4 turbo mode, but still a fast and visceral experience with depth and a great opportunity for creativity. I love the art direction. Dem environments; the game just looks gorgeous. I can understand others apprehension but I think they should try and keep an open mind, as far as I'm concerned DmC looks by no means bad and the upcoming demo should at least be able to affirm our feelings, one way or another.

I actually don't have a problem with the story of this game. I'm not interested in it, but I'm not going to say it's a bad story. I don't look to DMC for the story or most games for that matter, especially action games (much like action movies). I want great combat, cool cutscenes, and cool/funny Dante... and Lady. You can throw in Trish too I guess. lol. But yeah as much as I would like a DMC5 to clear up the plot holes there is just a much a chance of it not.

Also as a side not I wonder if it was a lack of ability or really a product of the storyline that Dante is so unrefined. I know they SAY it was to because of the story. Anyway I'm a huge kung fu movie, john woo, sword fighting loving guy so to see Dante go from looking like a BA martial art jock to a street brawler is just disheartening.

So I actually agree with you on pretty much all points, except I'm sure we have slightly different ideas of how well the combat will be and if it should take any hit (or how much) due to making a better story. As with the actual quality of combat we both seem to think it won't be cream of the croup DMC, but it sounds like you think it still will be good while I think it will be serviceable. Which is a HUGE deal to me.
#32Ether101Posted 11/17/2012 12:06:23 PM
The only real plot holes that DMC had were cased by the anime trying to turn Dante into Alucard.
---
Gamers have lost their pride.
Complacency can be a sin.
#33antking61Posted 11/17/2012 12:06:28 PM
Evil God uses media and soda-pop made from demon vomit to control the world. Cue Etnad, a hard smoking, sexual deviant, rebel stickin it to The Man.

Seriously what part of this sounds interesting on it's own merit, let alone as a DMC story?
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#34ShadowZero007Posted 11/17/2012 12:12:32 PM(edited)
antking61 posted...
Evil God uses media and soda-pop made from demon vomit to control the world. Cue Etnad, a hard smoking, sexual deviant, rebel stickin it to The Man.

Seriously what part of this sounds interesting on it's own merit, let alone as a DMC story?

I could make 1984 sound like a crap novel if I decided the present it's plot so terribly.

Pretty boy in red takes down a demon his papa did.
Theres DMC1

Pretty boy with white hair stops his brother and a bald dude.
DMC3

A walking plot hole helps Dante stop Demons.
DMC4
---
In my restless dreams I see that town...
#35UtaNapishtiPosted 11/17/2012 12:12:23 PM
ShadowZero007 posted...
Strelok posted...
And as I've said hundreds of times before, had they changed the names, there would have been no backlash at all.

Long story short: Entire project is led by some really dumb people.

You know that wouldn't work Strelok :p
Even if they renamed everything the character relations and several key plot points are the same.

The twin brothers. The half breeds of a demonic father who rebelled against a demonic lord. Saw their mother killed. Resents the demonic presence since. Left a broadsword and a katana as the keepsakes of their father. etc etc.

The entire thing would pretty much have to be revised.

ShadowZero007 posted...
caffiend7 posted...
The "STORY" has ripped from other things like They Live, Futurama, and it has Bill O'Riley but lets not forget CRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAWWWWLLLLINGG IN MYYYYYYYYYYYY SKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINnnnn

And Inuyasha was also about a red clad half demon hero with white hair who wields a massive blade that is the keepsake of his father and is drawn into conflict frequently with his calm cool and collected brother who also holds another keepsake of their father.

Are you aware you just destroyed your own argument?
#36DarkJaydragonPosted 11/17/2012 12:12:41 PM
Dante doesn't smoke anymore.
---
Not changing this sig until i go to sleep started : 13/01/06 00:40 am GT: Jaydragon117 Flight of dragons is #1.
#37antking61Posted 11/17/2012 12:13:58 PM(edited)
ShadowZero007 posted...
I could make 1984 sound like a crap novel if I decided the present it's plot so terribly.

Old pretty boy in red takes down a demon his papa did.
Theres DMC1

DMC3

DMC4

Yeah....Nero wasn't a plot hole and I'm not saying DMC had deep plots before, but they didn't sound lame either.

Also, boiled down 1984's about an old wrinkly dude having sex with a girl half his age while being controlled by peeps who hate on emotional expression.
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#38ShadowZero007Posted 11/17/2012 12:15:55 PM
UtaNapishti posted...
ShadowZero007 posted...
Strelok posted...
And as I've said hundreds of times before, had they changed the names, there would have been no backlash at all.

Long story short: Entire project is led by some really dumb people.

You know that wouldn't work Strelok :p
Even if they renamed everything the character relations and several key plot points are the same.

The twin brothers. The half breeds of a demonic father who rebelled against a demonic lord. Saw their mother killed. Resents the demonic presence since. Left a broadsword and a katana as the keepsakes of their father. etc etc.

The entire thing would pretty much have to be revised.

ShadowZero007 posted...
caffiend7 posted...
The "STORY" has ripped from other things like They Live, Futurama, and it has Bill O'Riley but lets not forget CRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAWWWWLLLLINGG IN MYYYYYYYYYYYY SKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINnnnn

And Inuyasha was also about a red clad half demon hero with white hair who wields a massive blade that is the keepsake of his father and is drawn into conflict frequently with his calm cool and collected brother who also holds another keepsake of their father.

Are you aware you just destroyed your own argument?

The plots are different enough to warrant them not being the same.
I can't remember the last time Dante adventured through feudal Japan with a 15 year old girl :p.

DmC's plot is probably gonna be a near mirror of DMC1's plot; least as far as the main objective (Stop Mundus) goes.

I'm just saying similarities are there, DmC is no more unoriginal than DMC ever was, however to say that DmC should just change it's name is silly; as even if you rebrand everything it's all still more or less the same.
---
#39ShadowZero007Posted 11/17/2012 12:17:25 PM
antking61 posted...
ShadowZero007 posted...

Old pretty boy in red takes down a demon his papa did.
Theres DMC1

DMC3

DMC4

Yeah....Nero wasn't a plot hole and I'm not saying DMC had deep plots before, but they didn't sound lame either.

Also, boiled down 1984's about an old wrinkly dude having sex with a girl half his age while being controlled by peeps who hate on emotional expression.

^Bam a classic novel sounds like crap :p

Nero is a bit of a hole, unless you feel Vergil nailed a prostitute at about 14.
---
#40UtaNapishtiPosted 11/17/2012 12:18:01 PM
To address the TC, your argument really misses the point.

Most people just find this new story plain BAD. Too much hamfisted unoriginal political satire attempts and godawful dialogue, with characters who share no traits beyond the bare bones of the characters they're based on.

Mario also has a loose mythology and the story takes a back seat to the game play. Imagine if the Mario in the newest Mario game was going to look like this: http://files.myopera.com/Nerak/albums/2574291/Smash_Bros.jpg
People would be ****ting bricks and for good reason.

Whether or not you liked the DMC story, it was what it was. This is just trying to be something it's not, and personally I would find it unappealing even if it didn't bear the name Devil May Cry.