SPOILERS! Why do people hate on the story and concept of DmC?

#41UtaNapishtiPosted 11/17/2012 12:23:31 PM
The plots are different enough to warrant them not being the same.
I can't remember the last time Dante adventured through feudal Japan with a 15 year old girl :p.

DmC's plot is probably gonna be a near mirror of DMC1's plot; least as far as the main objective (Stop Mundus) goes.

I'm just saying similarities are there, DmC is no more unoriginal than DMC ever was, however to say that DmC should just change it's name is silly; as even if you rebrand everything it's all still more or less the same.

This new setting may not be feudal Japan, but it doesn't really resemble anything from the previous games. And I don't know how old Kat is supposed to be, but she probably ain't much older than Kagome.

And "Stop Badguy" is the plot of every video game ever. And it doesn't help that this version of Mundus is absolutely nothing at all like the original Mundus.
#42smithkakarotPosted 11/17/2012 12:24:32 PM
Kou-Nurasaka posted...
SPOILERS! Why do people hate on the story and concept of DmC?

'Cause it's honestly kinda lame.
---
"Welcome to Oblivion!"-Vegeta
#43Ether101Posted 11/17/2012 12:32:40 PM
ShadowZero007 posted...
antking61 posted...
ShadowZero007 posted...
I could make 1984 sound like a crap novel if I decided the present it's plot so terribly.

Old pretty boy in red takes down a demon his papa did.
Theres DMC1

Pretty boy with white hair stops his brother and a bald dude.
DMC3

A walking plot hole helps Dante stop Demons.
DMC4

Yeah....Nero wasn't a plot hole and I'm not saying DMC had deep plots before, but they didn't sound lame either.

Also, boiled down 1984's about an old wrinkly dude having sex with a girl half his age while being controlled by peeps who hate on emotional expression.

^Bam a classic novel sounds like crap :p

Nero is a bit of a hole, unless you feel Vergil nailed a prostitute at about 14.

This shows how clueless you are. There's never been anything to suggest that Vergil is Nero's father.
---
Gamers have lost their pride.
Complacency can be a sin.
#44UncleWeskerPosted 11/17/2012 12:36:46 PM
If DMC's plot is composed of such a slap dash of tropes and cliches, I don't see why people bash DmC so hard for being "unoriginal"

Because those games did not advertise themselves on their thrilling and intriguing narrative. This game is.

Theres DMC1

DMC3

DMC4

I have no issues with any of these story summations. In fact, I wish the plot in DMC4 was treated with as much brevity as you've given it here. Again, the story is not what's important in these games, nor is it what anyone is playing them for (aside from maybe to see old Dante do a few cool in-cutscene acrobatics)
---
"I hate you, UncleWesker. No, really. You are the biggest douche on this board. You should go hang yourself in your basement." ~ RT102
#45Vault_ZeroPosted 11/17/2012 12:38:41 PM
UncleWesker posted...
If DMC's plot is composed of such a slap dash of tropes and cliches, I don't see why people bash DmC so hard for being "unoriginal"

Because those games did not advertise themselves on their thrilling and intriguing narrative. This game is.

Theres DMC1

DMC3

DMC4

I have no issues with any of these story summations. In fact, I wish the plot in DMC4 was treated with as much brevity as you've given it here. Again, the story is not what's important in these games, nor is it what anyone is playing them for (aside from maybe to see old Dante do a few cool in-cutscene acrobatics)

Yeah, This!
---
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
#46BaulModeusPosted 11/17/2012 12:48:58 PM(edited)
Nero was a plot hole, one that was explained in the DMC 4 Novel, which most people reject even though it was written by the DMC 4 Scenario Writter (mother being a prostitute, Vergil enjoying Earth before embarking on his DMC 3 plan) which itself was full of plot holes considering the Devil May Cry Novels (not the DMC 3 Mangas) written Shin-Ya Goikeda and Series Creator Hideki Kamiya before DMC 2 contradicts much of what is said/done in DMC 3

Funny enough Mundus apparently has no memory of ever fighting Vergil, calling Dante the first Sparda he has fought since his Father. lol.
#47KyryloPosted 11/17/2012 12:58:35 PM
If you dislike DMC2 so much, than grats, story of dmc is actually pretty near on it: evil corporation ruled by demons.
#48JELIFISH19Posted 11/17/2012 1:06:46 PM
sworder posted...
Rasendori124 posted...
Fair enough that DMC needed a reboot but the fact that Capcom chose NT is mind boggling. Why the hell would they give DMC to a company like NT? Imo I would have rebooted it after DMC5 which answers all the questions and fills all the plot holes.

DMC5 would have left more questions and more plot holes

How would you go about making a good game that fills in all of the holes of DMC3 to DMC2? There are a lot of them and a lot of time has passed between the games. How can you make that a good plot with that? It's like completing a puzzle with poorly shaped pieces. You can't just fill the holes either. People want more than that. Then people can't decide who they want to play as. Some people want Dante, some want Nero, and some want Vergil. Some even want Sparda.

People seem to forget that Itsuno was one of the main people who wanted a reboot. He knew the series wasn't as good as it could have been. Do you really think Kamiya would make a sequel? He would probably reboot it too after what Itsuno did to his creation. There probably wouldn't be styles and it would probably be closer to Bayonetta than DMC. People would probably find a reason to complain about that as well as the plot since it probably will be its own thing. The series developed more problems as it progressed and it doesn't have an easy fix.

Why not give it to NT? They worked with Itsuno for the combat. They weren't left completely on their own. NT doesn't even have a bad track record. PG's Metacritic average isn't that much higher. NT has 80.5 while PG has an 82.5. It's hard to believe that when you look at how much people love PG and how much people hate NT here.
---
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
SSF4AE + BBCS2 + UMvC3 + MK = Life - Waiting desperately for Skullgirls
#49redskinStuPosted 11/17/2012 1:18:36 PM
Devil May Cry is one of the first games I ever got for my PS2, and it blew me away. Still some of the best bosses ever, Mundus, Phantom etc.
#50Lordaeron86Posted 11/17/2012 1:50:49 PM
Its always amusing seeing people argue on gaming boards that cliche anime tropes are original and NEVER bad while taking some elements from a western book or movie is completely uninspired stupid lazy baka gaijin writing.
---
"To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it."