SPOILERS! Why do people hate on the story and concept of DmC?

#71StriderOWPosted 11/17/2012 3:37:14 PM
roxas9001 posted...
StriderOW posted...
BaulModeus posted...
The scenario writer disagrees, his novel clearly states that Nero was Vergil's son. DMC 4 much like DMC 3 was a mess of a storyline.

DMC4 novel is not cannon. He left Capcom and then released the book. It's for the same reason why the DMC1/2 novel's are not cannon as well.

Before they retconned it with DMC3, the DMC1 novel was indeed canon.

Kamiya told me that Gilver from the novel is Vergil.

Exactly what you just stated. When books that come out screw with the story line they are not cannon. With the DMC4 book to story writer wrote in his book that the book wasn't cannon to the series. He explain that this was the original story he wanted placed into DMC4.

Capcom stated that DMC4 was 1 year after the DMC anime. The anime is one year after DMC1. Dante was about 28 in DMC1 so in DMC4 Dante 30 years of age. I forgot all about the anime but yea it fits into there.
#72BaulModeusPosted 11/17/2012 3:38:21 PM
_Uwye_ posted...
BaulModeus posted...
_Uwye_ posted...
BaulModeus posted...
The scenario writer disagrees, his novel clearly states that Nero was Vergil's son. DMC 4 much like DMC 3 was a mess of a storyline.

DMC3 is a mess only if you take into account the mediocre manga, and Nero and Vergil's age is a mess only if we assume that the notion that DMC4 takes place 10 after the previous game is true.

For reference, Kobayashi stated that Lady is ten years older in DMC4 (Dante=29-30 years old) but when working with Reuben Langdon they were aiming at the performance of a man in his mid thirties. So, yeah.

DMC 3 wasn't a mess because of the manga, which was ok (just ok), but because the novel written after DMC 1 by Kamiya (the series creator) and Goikeda already showed his intended canon for Vergil and Dante's relationship, leading to Dante killing Vergil himself at the end of the novel.

When DMC3 was released the DMC1 novel wasn't canon anymore, there was no mess there. It's the DMC3 manga that messes things up since that is supposed to be canon.

Also, I never read the novel (is it even available in english?) but I've heard that contradicts stuff said in DMC1 anyway.

I think you can order it online, it doesn't contradict anything from part 1 but it does contradict post-Kamiya DMC.
#73roxas9001Posted 11/17/2012 4:36:05 PM
Kamiya Tweets about Gilver and Alastor

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/269348164065181696

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/268787004580442112
---
Not changing this until DmCrap flops.
I dislike 90% of the FF fanbase.
#74Drkr_ZenPosted 11/17/2012 6:13:33 PM
I think my hate for DmC's story stems from the fact that Capcom introduced a great new character, for the series, in the form of Nero, then totally abandoned him. They could have taken the series in a totally new direction with him... but instead decide to make a reboot where the new Dante shares tons of similarities with Nero.

It makes no sense to me. Why make a reboot if your main character is simply going to behave a lot like a character you recently introduced into your series and, at the same time, bastardizes the previous series?

I guess I just don't understand "narrative" like Ninja Theory, or something... but then again, I'm completely dumbfounded by the fact that Capcom went to NT to reboot DMC when they could have gone to a superior action game developer - Platinum Games - and, at the same time, Kamiya himself.

But meh, after I buy Remember Me used for $30 or less dollars, I'm completely done with Capcom. Especially when P* is in the business of developing amazing action games.
---
Playing: LBP2, MHP3rd HD, ME3, OoT 3D, KH3D, Borderlands 2
"See You Space Cowboy."
#75Kou-Nurasaka(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2012 7:01:33 PM
UtaNapishti posted...
To address the TC, your argument really misses the point.

Most people just find this new story plain BAD.....Whether or not you liked the DMC story, it was what it was. This is just trying to be something it's not, and personally I would find it unappealing even if it didn't bear the name Devil May Cry.

Then they don't have to buy it. I'm just pointing out that the majority of the older games were not tied together by a large overarching plot map either.
#76RichterB17Posted 11/17/2012 7:05:49 PM
Kou-Nurasaka posted...
UtaNapishti posted...

Most people just find this new story plain BAD.....Whether or not you liked the DMC story, it was what it was. This is just trying to be something it's not, and personally I would find it unappealing even if it didn't bear the name Devil May Cry.

Then they don't have to buy it. I'm just pointing out that the majority of the older games were not tied together by a large overarching plot map either.

They aren't going to buy it.
---
"The shadows betray you because they belong to me!" - Bane
#77Kou-Nurasaka(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2012 7:08:55 PM
RichterB17 posted...
Kou-Nurasaka posted...
UtaNapishti posted...

Okay? Point settled. I more than likely am, because as most people have already pointed out, the storyline isn't the main thing that is important for these types of games. The gameplay is, and while I love a good story, the gameplay look epic.

Also, this part is directed at no one in particular, but if somewhere around 30-40 people on a message board can't make sense of the games storyline and what is canon/ what isnt, can we all agree the story is nearly non-exsistant?
#78FireMage7777Posted 11/17/2012 7:22:54 PM
Strelok posted...
Why not give it to NT:

NT can't do combat to save their lives.

Heavenly Sword...
---
The official Valbanisher, that doesn't believe in kupo
#79pyro_buntaPosted 11/17/2012 7:30:57 PM
FireMage7777 posted...
Strelok posted...
Why not give it to NT:

NT can't do combat to save their lives.

Heavenly Sword...

1) DMC
2) Heavenly Sword

Pick one.
---
...if you know what I mean
#80pyro_buntaPosted 11/17/2012 7:37:22 PM
Kou-Nurasaka posted...
RichterB17 posted...
Kou-Nurasaka posted...
UtaNapishti posted...

Okay? Point settled. I more than likely am, because as most people have already pointed out, the storyline isn't the main thing that is important for these types of games. The gameplay is, and while I love a good story, the gameplay look epic.

Also, this part is directed at no one in particular, but if somewhere around 30-40 people on a message board can't make sense of the games storyline and what is canon/ what isnt, can we all agree the story is nearly non-exsistant?

Pretty much.

What's important is what happens during each game, and those events stay there. They don't bring a lot of stuff from one game to the next, except characters and weapons. Just look at the jumbled progressiveness of the games: DMC (start) > DMC2 (far future) > DM3 (past) > DMC4 (sequel to the first). You can NOT know the other games and enjoy any of these games.

See Dante's cutscenes. How many story related things is read into? Very little, but we instead het over the top crazy cutscenes. DMC is all about eyecandy and combat. Just look at Trish in DMC4, she appeared in a middle cutscene just for PLOT.
---
...if you know what I mean