DmC the fall of another good series.

#31DevilTears604Posted 11/20/2012 9:09:36 PM
malicemizerfan posted...
DevilTears604 posted...
To me, Dante still retains his laid-back, badass attitude here though. That's what I always thought defined the character. The dialogue in the demo sounded at least as good as previous DMCs, and probably better.

Yeah, because "#### you!" "#### you!" "#### you!" Reminds me of great things, like that time my brother got drunk and started screaming at everyone on my birthday. Stil made sure he didn't drown in his own vomit. Would not do the same for tameem. Or the guy at capcom who approved this blasphemy called dmc.

Bro, don't get so caught up in it. Besides, look at the boss. It's huge, deformed, it's got puss and fluids dripping from every orifice. You really expect that thing to go all Shakespearean and speak like he's talking to the Queen or the President? It's look screams profanity.

What I thought was great, and very Dante-ish was:

S.I.: You can't kill me! I'm twelve thousand years old!!

Dante: Really? You don't look a day over five thousand!
---
Day One buys for 2013: Devil may Cry, Bioshock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto V
#32En Sabah NurPosted 11/20/2012 9:09:38 PM
malicemizerfan posted...
En Sabah Nur posted...
I live cali. My understandibg of cursing is that it is something teens do to try and sound cool. And how does the #### you screaming contest even begin to hold up to the dialogue in the past ones?

Maybe because it makes more sense in a real world context?

You have a 20-something year old anarchist Dante with an attitude dealing with a nasty, grotesque demon. Logically, wouldn't you assume that if demons were real they would use profanity? I think that is a guarantee. Wouldn't you also assume that Dante, in a real world situation, would also resort to that sort of language?

I don't know where your understanding of cursing comes from, but where I come from (and how I was raised in both America and Europe) we use it in basically every conversation unless we're in a professional or school environment. It's part of everyday life and most of my daily exchanges sound like a Judd Apatow movie (from Superbad to 40 Year Old Virgin, take your pick).

It's all in the eye of the beholder, apparently. Just keep that in mind.

Kind of loses all sense of realism somewhere around the horribly cliche origin, demon city, and oh right, fighting demons.

I think you're confusing the meaning of "realism" as used in this discussion.

By your definition, there's almost no such thing as realism in video games. Maybe it would be easier to replace "realism" with the word "plausibility" to make things easier.

It's more plausible, if you're patterning the non-supernatural elements of your setting after the real world, to utilize more "aggressive" language. It makes sense, whether sissies like it or not. Profanity is everywhere. Deal with it.

I can think of more reasons for Dante to say **** you than for him not to.
---
Playing - AC3, ZOE HD, X-COM, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, Doom 3 BFG, Tekken Tag 2, BF3, Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs, The Walking Dead, Lollipop Chainsaw, MAA
#33Malus_X6Posted 11/20/2012 9:09:52 PM
At least I got a chuckle out of "Flock off, featherface."
---
PSN: LordMalus
XBL: LordMalusDCLXVI
#34Capitan_KidPosted 11/20/2012 9:11:40 PM
Are people really getting butthurt over cursing? What is this? Elementary school? Old Dante would cuss. So does Nero. He even screams **** YOU!
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
#35DevilTears604Posted 11/20/2012 9:12:37 PM
Capitan_Kid posted...
Are people really getting butthurt over cursing? What is this? Elementary school? Old Dante would cuss. So does Nero. He even screams **** YOU!

It's an excuse to hate on something that's not a carbon copy of what's been done for eleven years now.
---
Day One buys for 2013: Devil may Cry, Bioshock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto V
#36malicemizerfanPosted 11/20/2012 9:13:40 PM
En Sabah Nur posted...
I thought Dante's exchange with the boss was just fine.

It's all subjective. I'll take profanity and the direction they're going in over "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!" any day.

You guys are seriously rocking those rose-colored shades. I always loved the series for its gameplay. I never thought much of the dialogue, and I hated Dante's personality in DMC3 (even though it was an excellent game).

Personally, I'd tell a demon to go **** itself too. But maybe that's just my inner Dante talking.

No. That's not dante, dante revels in the sheer absurdity of the situation, not just screaming profanity at things. That just seems like you wanting to sound cool, but having absolutely nothing to say.
#37En Sabah NurPosted 11/20/2012 9:13:52 PM
Malus_X6 posted...
At least I got a chuckle out of "Flock off, featherface."

To each his own.

I was entertained more by the dialogue with the boss in this demo than the entirety of the dialogue in the rest of the games. I actually LIKE profanity in games and books and movies. It is more akin to real life. It's just a fact. Lesson of the day: Angry people use bad words.
---
Playing - AC3, ZOE HD, X-COM, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, Doom 3 BFG, Tekken Tag 2, BF3, Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs, The Walking Dead, Lollipop Chainsaw, MAA
#38KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 11/20/2012 9:14:05 PM
DevilTears604 posted...
Capitan_Kid posted...

It's an excuse to hate on something that's not a carbon copy of what's been done for eleven years now.

Actually it's us not liking writing that was supposed to "break the mold that games can't have movie or theatre level stories and dialogue".
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#39UbberDevilPosted 11/20/2012 9:16:40 PM
Capitan_Kid posted...

The most classic Dante would say is "hell" or "damn". And Nero screams "Rock you" not "f*** you". dwarfkicker was able to prove that and end the debate a few years ago.
---
Q- if Satan is the prince of darkness, who's the king?
A- UbberDevil, and Sparda is my Queen. GT: MongooseDave2
#40En Sabah NurPosted 11/20/2012 9:17:34 PM
malicemizerfan posted...
En Sabah Nur posted...
I thought Dante's exchange with the boss was just fine.

It's all subjective. I'll take profanity and the direction they're going in over "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!" any day.

You guys are seriously rocking those rose-colored shades. I always loved the series for its gameplay. I never thought much of the dialogue, and I hated Dante's personality in DMC3 (even though it was an excellent game).

Personally, I'd tell a demon to go **** itself too. But maybe that's just my inner Dante talking.

No. That's not dante, dante revels in the sheer absurdity of the situation, not just screaming profanity at things. That just seems like you wanting to sound cool, but having absolutely nothing to say.

Dante would really be reveling in this topic if he were here then, because you have absurdity coming out of your ears.

I have no desire to sound cool, I'm just tired of all the crying about insignificant matters.
---