Why is everyone acting so prudish over the f word?

#91Ether101Posted 11/23/2012 2:43:17 PM
mahroflcopter posted...
Ether101 posted...
mahroflcopter posted...
shdwdrgnix posted...
What people fail to realize is that Dante did say F*** to that Warden guy in the anime. And that wasn't the only time he swears in this.

Most people see the Anime in the same light that they see Devil May Cry 2: They don't think about it, they don't talk about it, and even though Capcom says it's canon they say it didn't happen.

I don't remember them saying that at all. I like the over all idea of the anime but the execution left a lot to be desired.

"they" as in "the fandom in general". The Anime was none to well received since it was a bunch of stand alone episodes that followed a very generic structure, was obviously low budget when you watch the fight scenes (Dante swings his sword and fires Ebony & Ivory for a few seconds... wins fight and ends the episode), gave Trish a completely new personality (which carried over into Devil May Cry 4), had really bad character designs for the demons (A 5 year old could have come up with more inspired character designs), and essentially rehashed much of the basic plot of Devil May Cry 3 in the final 2 episodes (find objects, bring them together, get a sacrifice, open hell gate, unleash hell on earth to gain power, etc).

I personally liked the Anime for my own reasons (and would really like a second season)... but I can understand why many didn't.

I thought "they" was Capcom.
---
Gamers have lost their pride.
Complacency can be a sin.
#92Undead_YakuzaPosted 11/23/2012 2:43:25 PM
mahroflcopter posted...
SlaveBlade posted...
UnknownWin posted...
It was the first time in the series he says that.

He says **** in the anime, get over it people.

And guess how well regarded the anime is in general...

But that wasn't because of said word. It's just a pretty mediocre anime show.
#93mahroflcopterPosted 11/23/2012 2:55:11 PM
Undead_Yakuza posted...
mahroflcopter posted...
SlaveBlade posted...
UnknownWin posted...
It was the first time in the series he says that.

He says **** in the anime, get over it people.

And guess how well regarded the anime is in general...

But that wasn't because of said word. It's just a pretty mediocre anime show.

That was one (though it tends to not be seen since it is really minor to be honest) of the complaints (i.e. 99% of the cursing felt like it was added last minute even if it made no sense in the context). Basically, they tried to increase the "maturity" and "coolness" by having Dante and Lady swearing a bunch.
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
The DmC Demo didn't hurt my butt, it just gave it a rash. The cure? Play Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4.
#94Genyosai3Posted 11/23/2012 2:56:05 PM
Just the demo, regardless of competent writing, basically bits and pieces of story, I'm not going to be high and mighty here, I personally liked the trolling between Dante and the boss, but the f-bomb f-bomb f-bomb didn't make me chuckle because of exessive use, what did was that like always, even this Dante, agitates his foes, either physically or verbally, he gets them riled up for a fight, that's what he does, not everybody is going to be Rurouni Kenshin or Batman and take on foes with a no nonsense policy.

Going to the writing of this, like I said, first bit, take a look at the FIRST TMNT movie, a lot of people still view it as the best one, but Raph's lines in the first couple of minutes were:

D**n
Oh man,
D**n,
D**N!
If you only had a two minute preview of this movie you wouldn't have thought much different than DmC(espesially given TMNT's kid friendly demographic), now would you?
---
PSN: Dragon_Install_3 BBCS:Tao,Valk/P4A:Akihiko "Tell me Ragna mains, what does 5B,....... mean to you?"
#95IngSlayerPosted 11/23/2012 3:05:03 PM
Does he abuse the word like an electroshock-deserving waste of flesh?

I haven't been keeping up with much info.
---
Sedix: Baffling Artist
#96YumeOMiruPosted 11/23/2012 3:07:22 PM
IngSlayer posted...
Does he abuse the word like an electroshock-deserving waste of flesh?

I haven't been keeping up with much info.

Nah, he just use it like a boy trying to be a man but fail. But NT think they hit gold with it..................
---
Having a dream is essential to live.
#97john_freeman69Posted 11/23/2012 3:08:54 PM
Undead_Yakuza posted...

I haven't been following this game that closely. Heard about the game when it was first announced. I liked the demo, and here I am.

Then why are you defending the writing if you just liked the gameplay?
---
EVERYONE WATCH My Little Pony IT'S THE BEST SHOW EVER!!!!
#98NessaJ_TuNPosted 11/23/2012 3:11:46 PM
Undead_Yakuza posted...
Capitan_Kid posted...
Seriously this isnt grade school. Dante or any other character using f*** isnt a big f***ing deal. Get over it.

Because people are grasping at straws a this point, in order to discredit the new Dante.

Old Dante was a cheesy, non-funny, anime-ish protagonist, and some people are being blinded by nostalgia when they say that he was a great character. Oh, not to forget, IMO.

u just have a bad taste in character and since when Anime-ish is bad?? Fyi Anime is way better than most Hollywood movies these days.
#99john_freeman69Posted 11/23/2012 3:13:04 PM
NessaJ_TuN posted...

u just have a bad taste in character and since when Anime-ish is bad?? Fyi Anime is way better than most Hollywood movies these days.

I never got the anime vibe from him (Except in DMC2, but that doesn't count).

He was more like the Japanese Duke Nukem.
---
EVERYONE WATCH My Little Pony IT'S THE BEST SHOW EVER!!!!
#100Undead_YakuzaPosted 11/23/2012 3:15:40 PM
john_freeman69 posted...
Undead_Yakuza posted...

I haven't been following this game that closely. Heard about the game when it was first announced. I liked the demo, and here I am.

Then why are you defending the writing if you just liked the gameplay?

Because I have no problems with the writing in the DmC demo. I can name at least ten other games that have worse writing, and even more that uses the f-word too much and in ways not at all appropriately.