DMC3 had a good story!

#61SlaveBladePosted 11/28/2012 10:10:45 AM
Dragoon_Kail posted...
SlaveBlade posted...
Dragoon_Kail posted...
SlaveBlade posted...
Now that I've grown up (lol) I need a little more incentive to get from point A to B than "Because!"

Gonna need to see a drivers license before i believe that :P and no, you actually don't need more incentive then that, especially in a devil may cry game

I just said I do. Why am I not allowed to prefer more reasoning in an action game?

Because it's an action game; specificly hack & slash styled; it's NOT an RPG

Irrelevant to the point. Like someone else brought up earlier, what about Legacy of Kain? Action game with an amazing story (among other things)
---
Interested in a RP about a post apocalyptic future Earth with some Mutant shenanigans? PM me if you wanna join~
#62Dragoon_KailPosted 11/28/2012 10:21:14 AM
I could argue semantrics about the legacy of kain games not having great gameplay(old school mag reviews always tore them apart over medicore, repetitive gameplay lol) or being a action rpg technicly, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut i won't, the main focus of action games is the action, otherwise what's the point? lol

Sure you can be a disney princess who dreams of more~! *prepares a musical number* but most seem quite happy with an excellenct action game that gets to the point and has memorible/likible/relatible/idolizingible/quotible characters
---
"This is good, isn't it?" .....*cries* it is good Bigboss......John......it is good~! ; ;
#63mmSNAKEPosted 11/28/2012 11:27:29 AM
LoK to me was more of puzzle action games. It had action elements and killing enemies was the action part. But to me it always felt that puzzle portion was somehow the main focus. Even in combat to you had to figure out how to kill certain enemies rather than rely on execution skills (this goes true even more for bosses).

To people that say DMC3 had "good" story. It depends on your definition of good. To me it has a story which is consistent to a point but to enjoy the plot for it's direction, character development or thought is almost non existent. Dante is the same character throughout, nothing changes. At core he is still a wise cracking demon killer. Vergil is the typical morbid power hungry pessimist. He doesn't change either. Hell if they didn't fight at the very end and Vergil reconsidered what he was doing, perhaps it would have been a better turn...but we wouldn't get a kick ass boss fight. The main antagonist? How deep is he? I need power to take over the world...Yeah real complex motives there.

Comparing that to Kain from LoK, where he was put in a decision which had extreme repercussions for him, the vampire race and the rest of the world, with seemingly no way to win, he made himself the devil to give the world a chance later. Does DMC ever have moral dilemma like that? It's usually a straight forward answer from each question. There are no massive downsides, Dante always ends on top and bad guys dig their own grave in essence. Hell he even saves the girl every time.

The story might be enjoyable, but it's not "good". Maybe I have very high standards, but I still believe people that feel otherwise about this game series have low standards or just don't understand the difference between just enjoying something and something being quality because it was made well.

I enjoy reading Dresden Files, I really enjoy it. However the story isn't anything revolutionary. It isn't anything close to some of the better works in the genre in terms of plot quality, but it damn sure is fun to read.
---
Beatings will continue until morale improves!
#64KyryloPosted 11/28/2012 11:40:42 AM
After seeing so much pathetic japanaophobes: just so you know, if not japan the best storylines you were getting would have been Duke Nukem. Cause 90% of western studios can do dumb shooters or generic crap like Assassin Creed.
#65ShadowZero007Posted 11/28/2012 11:42:19 AM
Kyrylo posted...
After seeing so much pathetic japanaophobes: just so you know, if not japan the best storylines you were getting would have been Duke Nukem. Cause 90% of western studios can do dumb shooters or generic crap like Assassin Creed.

You realize you're being just as Xenophobic as the people you call a "Japanophobes".
---
In my restless dreams I see that town...
#66SephirothDZXPosted 11/28/2012 11:44:11 AM
At some point people decided that a "simple story" and "bad story" were the same thing.

DMC3 has a pretty simple story but that doesn't inherently make it bad. The game is basically Dante fighting his way towards stopping the bad guy with a plot twist thrown in for dramatic effect, and then there's a subplot involving Lady and Arkham.

It's a pretty basic story of a person turning into a hero to stop the bad guy. Avengers used pretty much the exact same formula and that's considered one of the best superhero movies ever.
#67VolcanoBoulderPosted 11/28/2012 11:45:42 AM
Kyrylo posted...

And a lot of Japanese studios seem to consider **** like Final Fantasy 13 and Metroid: Other M to be well-written and have good storytelling. Your argument goes both ways.

Of course, nothing excuses the ignorance of so-called Japanophobes, but fighting fire with fire is rarely the best way to win an argument.
#68ShadowZero007Posted 11/28/2012 11:45:57 AM
Kyrylo posted...

Also as far as plot goes.

AC > DMC.
Also don't forget.
Bioshock?? Yeah American studio.
Like Half Life, and Fallout.
All that Elder Scrolls lore? Western.
---
In my restless dreams I see that town...
#69Dragoon_KailPosted 11/28/2012 11:47:46 AM
Kyrylo posted...

Hypocracy Fail, play the price is right fail song, jimmy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A
---
"This is good, isn't it?" .....*cries* it is good Bigboss......John......it is good~! ; ;
#70roxas9001Posted 11/28/2012 12:14:23 PM
VolcanoBoulder posted...
Kyrylo posted...

And a lot of Japanese studios seem to consider **** like Final Fantasy 13 and Metroid: Other M to be well-written and have good storytelling. Your argument goes both ways.

Of course, nothing excuses the ignorance of so-called Japanophobes, but fighting fire with fire is rarely the best way to win an argument.

You probably or most likely didn't understand but anyways the plots in the other FFs aren't gold either.
---
Not changing this until DmCrap flops.
I dislike 90% of the FF fanbase.