DMC3 had a good story!

#71ShadowZero007Posted 11/28/2012 12:15:54 PM
roxas9001 posted...
VolcanoBoulder posted...
Kyrylo posted...
After seeing so much pathetic japanaophobes: just so you know, if not japan the best storylines you were getting would have been Duke Nukem. Cause 90% of western studios can do dumb shooters or generic crap like Assassin Creed.

And a lot of Japanese studios seem to consider **** like Final Fantasy 13 and Metroid: Other M to be well-written and have good storytelling. Your argument goes both ways.

Of course, nothing excuses the ignorance of so-called Japanophobes, but fighting fire with fire is rarely the best way to win an argument.

You probably or most likely didn't understand but anyways the plots in the other FFs aren't gold either.

FFXIII's biggest narrative problem is that it's ending is a pretty literal dues ex machina.
---
In my restless dreams I see that town...
#72Pesmerga255Posted 11/28/2012 12:16:01 PM
AC > DMC.
Also don't forget.
Bioshock?? Yeah American studio.
Like Half Life, and Fallout.
All that Elder Scrolls lore? Western.

The Japanese have made some good stories over the years. Look at Shin Megami Tensei. That was too edgy for the west initially and the religious aspects are implemented well.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#73ShadowZero007Posted 11/28/2012 12:18:45 PM(edited)
Pesmerga255 posted...
AC > DMC.
Also don't forget.
Bioshock?? Yeah American studio.
Like Half Life, and Fallout.
All that Elder Scrolls lore? Western.

The Japanese have made some good stories over the years. Look at Shin Megami Tensei. That was too edgy for the west initially and the religious aspects are implemented well.

I'm not denying that.
My favorite game of all time is SH2.
I also love the MGS series as a whole.
I know the Japanese can excel at storytelling.
Anyone can it's not dependent on region.
I was stating examples of western developers creating good stories to show our friend who thinks the best we can do is DN differently.
---
#74Pesmerga255Posted 11/28/2012 12:18:55 PM
SH2? Shadow Hearts 2? That's a great game. It's a shame 3 sucked so much.

My favourite RPG is Suikoden 2.
---
#75ShadowZero007Posted 11/28/2012 12:20:36 PM
Pesmerga255 posted...
SH2? Shadow Hearts 2? That's a great game. It's a shame 3 sucked so much.

My favourite RPG is Suikoden 2.

Silent Hill.
I've heard good things about Shadow Hearts though.
As far as RPG's go for me >_>
Damn that's tough.
Either FFX (Shut up) P3 or Nocturne
---
#76Pesmerga255Posted 11/28/2012 12:21:33 PM
Ah. Shadow Hearts is great though, you should check it out. Play 1 first. It sets up everything for the second game.
---
#77VolcanoBoulderPosted 11/28/2012 12:31:26 PM(edited)
roxas9001 posted...
You probably or most likely didn't understand but anyways the plots in the other FFs aren't gold either.

When did I say that the other Final Fantasy games had good writing? I gave two specific examples - that's it.

FF13's writing is horrible. It drops you right into an extremely complicated story, where very little actually makes sense at first... but that's not inherently a bad thing if done right. Unfortunately, everything is explained in overlong cutscenes filled with exposition taking the place of dialogue. The characters are all obnoxious and serve only to make the already badly-paced and written story even more insufferable. And, as ShadowZero007 said, the ending is a terrible deus ex machina.

But don't kid yourself, I think the majority of Square's RPGs also suffer from bad writing, and FF13 is far from their worst offender.

EDIT: Sorry if this post seems aggressive. It's cool if you like Final Fantasy 13's story, and I don't mean to say that you shouldn't. I just don't appreciate people telling me that I didn't like something because I "didn't understand it".
#78roxas9001Posted 11/28/2012 12:35:01 PM
VolcanoBoulder posted...
roxas9001 posted...

When did I say that the other Final Fantasy games had good writing? I gave two specific examples - that's it.

FF13's writing is horrible. It drops you right into an extremely complicated story, where very little actually makes sense at first... but that's not inherently a bad thing if done right. Unfortunately, everything is explained in overlong cutscenes filled with exposition taking the place of dialogue. The characters are all obnoxious and serve only to make the already badly-paced and written story even more insufferable. And, as ShadowZero007 said, the ending is a terrible deus ex machina.

But don't kid yourself, I think the majority of Square's RPGs also suffer from bad writing, and FF13 is far from their worst offender.

EDIT: Sorry if this post seems aggressive. It's cool if you like Final Fantasy 13's story, and I don't mean to say that you shouldn't. I just don't appreciate people telling me that I didn't like something because I "didn't understand it".

Its cool.
---
Not changing this until DmCrap flops.
I dislike 90% of the FF fanbase.
#79Dragoon_KailPosted 11/28/2012 12:36:09 PM
Well both cultures are guilty of bad writting, the western sides just genericly half assed the Japanese side annoys me because even if the plot is original or interesting they ruin it with the same forumlatic character arc types and pandering to the same audiances (including the rampant pedo otaku market, cause clearly we need a sexualized 12yo in every game)

My fav example is take one genre(let's say action) of japanese media, watch one series entirely(say DBZ) and you have now watched EVERY series of that genre

But to their credit they at least have seprete genres that follow the same tropes, western stuff is just "dude bros gotta save the day from the thing that's bad for some vauge reason -insert setting of -lord of the rings-star wars- aliens are bad- foreigners are invading- zombies then rinse and repeat

Then there's dialouge, Japanese scripts are overbearing on exposition & stating the stupidly obvious or exclaiming "what!?" while western is everything you've heard in movies & tv since ever
---
"This is good, isn't it?" .....*cries* it is good Bigboss......John......it is good~! ; ;
#80liquidleonx3Posted 11/28/2012 1:45:48 PM
Dragoon_Kail posted...
To be fair, Japanese writting has a raging hard on for needless exposition (especialy during action scenes) and stating the painfully obvious (this is especially fun with hentai as the girl describes step by step what's being jamed up her coochie hole)

Basicly Japanese writting is 99% terrible, so you can't blame metal gear solid that much

Brings Naruto to mind where every time they do a technique they feel the need explain not just what it does but how it works, how it affects the body, HOW its gonna kill/hurt the opponent, ect. It gets ridiculous. Imagine if they had that issue in Devil May Cry and they tried to explain half the crazy **** Dante and Vergil are able to do.
---
{-Official Eight Gates Lee of Everywhere}
I'm waiting for IGN's review. I grew up with it so they're the only reviewers I trust. - HappyUnicorn101