DMC3 had a good story!

#81FireMage7777Posted 11/28/2012 2:26:40 PM
roxas9001 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
roxas9001 posted...
DJ_Slayer07 posted...
DMC3 was actually really well written, in the sense that, at it's core, beneath all the silliness and "whoo hoo-ing", it's really a very traditional Campbellian hero's journey, hitting every major archetype and even going so far as to directly reference/lampshade a couple of them.

It starts with the call to adventure by a herald (referenced with Dante getting, and immediately refusing, a phone call in the first seconds of the game), which leads to Dante crossing a threshold into a new, unfamiliar world. It has the "belly of the whale" moment when Dante's beaten by Vergil and is revived with newfound power and resolve (and is hilariously referenced moments later when Dante's literally swallowed by a giant whale), it has a very Shakespearean climax in the middle with Arkham's revelation that serves as the turning point in the story, the apotheosis, when Dante realizes what's important to him, the ultimate boon when he confronts Arkham, the magic flight when he has to overcome Vergil and escape the demon world before the portal closes, and the return threshold, when he goes back and opens up his shop, and everything returns to normal, but with Dante having grown and learned over the course of his journey.

Every character also fits closely to a classic Jungian archetype. Arkham plays the role of the herald in the beginning, but later becomes the shapeshifter that Dante's forced to trust despite his obvious ill will. Lady serves as something of the muse, being the driving force in Dante's character development, but also goes through her own journey of growth and self-discovery that ends with her confronting her father, and Vergil, of course, is the shadow (another archetype that's directly referenced, this time in the Doppleganger boss fight), who represents Dante's dark half, the path he could have walked, the part of himself that he despises, but has to overcome and ultimately accept in order to complete his growth.

It's clear that the writers of DMC3 knew what they were doing and put a lot of thought into it. I wouldn't say it's anything outstanding (it definitely has some problems with pacing and exposition, especially in the second half), but it hits all the major notes that a good story should hit. You combine that with solid performance from the actors, good cinematography, a moving and consistent central theme about family, some subtle, some not-so subtle references to the Divine Comedy, and a great score, and I'd say it's perfectly fair to say that DMC3 has a "good" story.

And what were they thinking when they wrote 4? did all these ok talent just up & leave.

LOL@implyingsomethingwaswrongwith4

Punk ass Nero, personalityless Kyrie, Dante acting like he was in 3 instead of 1, love story, KYYYYRIIIIEEEE!!!!, Nero's VA, yea that's alot.

He was supposed to be, was there for motivation, because Dante had a facelift in DMC3, I mean DMC1 Dante kind of sucked, so?, and just because you fail to comprehend JYB's awesomeness is your fault, not DMC4's
---
How do you say "I need more power" in dinosaur? RAAAAAWR!!!
#82KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 11/28/2012 2:29:12 PM
WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!

Am I seeing someone insult JYB? You dare insult Izaya? Watch your back man, he's got people everywhere. He's a dangerous man.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#83FireMage7777Posted 11/28/2012 2:32:17 PM
mmSNAKE posted...
The main antagonist? How deep is he? I need power to take over the world...Yeah real complex motives there.

Please tell me what scene had Vergil going "I'm taking over the world". You can't because he didn't
---
#84FireMage7777Posted 11/28/2012 2:34:31 PM
ShadowZero007 posted...
roxas9001 posted...
VolcanoBoulder posted...
Kyrylo posted...
After seeing so much pathetic japanaophobes: just so you know, if not japan the best storylines you were getting would have been Duke Nukem. Cause 90% of western studios can do dumb shooters or generic crap like Assassin Creed.

And a lot of Japanese studios seem to consider **** like Final Fantasy 13 and Metroid: Other M to be well-written and have good storytelling. Your argument goes both ways.

Of course, nothing excuses the ignorance of so-called Japanophobes, but fighting fire with fire is rarely the best way to win an argument.

You probably or most likely didn't understand but anyways the plots in the other FFs aren't gold either.

FFXIII's biggest narrative problem is that it's ending is a pretty literal dues ex machina.

LOL no. Etro's involvement is pointed out via the analects. The game not handing you the explanation and encouraging you to complete it fully and analyze clues instead of being lazy isn't DEM
---
#85Dragoon_KailPosted 11/28/2012 2:35:47 PM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!

Am I seeing someone insult JYB? You dare insult Izaya? Watch your back man, he's got people everywhere. He's a dangerous man.

yo, yo hold me back son, hold me back! i'ma go black power ranger on that guys ass! you don't talk junk bout JYB in this forum!
---
"This is good, isn't it?" .....*cries* it is good Bigboss......John......it is good~! ; ;
#86FireMage7777Posted 11/28/2012 2:40:36 PM
VolcanoBoulder posted...
roxas9001 posted...
You probably or most likely didn't understand but anyways the plots in the other FFs aren't gold either.

When did I say that the other Final Fantasy games had good writing? I gave two specific examples - that's it.

FF13's writing is horrible. It drops you right into an extremely complicated story, where very little actually makes sense at first... but that's not inherently a bad thing if done right. Unfortunately, everything is explained in overlong cutscenes filled with exposition taking the place of dialogue. The characters are all obnoxious and serve only to make the already badly-paced and written story even more insufferable. And, as ShadowZero007 said, the ending is a terrible deus ex machina.

But don't kid yourself, I think the majority of Square's RPGs also suffer from bad writing, and FF13 is far from their worst offender.

EDIT: Sorry if this post seems aggressive. It's cool if you like Final Fantasy 13's story, and I don't mean to say that you shouldn't. I just don't appreciate people telling me that I didn't like something because I "didn't understand it".

I would say as much
---
#87mmSNAKEPosted 11/28/2012 2:42:36 PM
Please tell me what scene had Vergil going "I'm taking over the world". You can't because he didn't

Arkham was the main antagonist. Vergil was not.
---
Beatings will continue until morale improves!
#88FireMage7777Posted 11/28/2012 2:50:32 PM
mmSNAKE posted...

Arkham was the main antagonist. Vergil was not.

No, Arkham was the main villain. Vergil was the main antagonist due to him not being a villain
---
#89DJ_Slayer07Posted 11/28/2012 3:00:46 PM
roxas9001 posted...
And what were they thinking when they wrote 4? did all these ok talent just up & leave.

They were probably thinking that Bleach was popular and they could capitalize off of it. DMC4's plot is just shy of being identical to the Soul Society arc, with a couple bits from later in the show thrown in for good measure.
---
"I don't go looking for trouble, but I'll fight back if trouble finds me."
--Amarant, Final Fantasy IX
#90VolcanoBoulderPosted 11/28/2012 3:02:40 PM
FireMage7777 posted...
I would say as much

OK.