In case some of you "hardcore fans" forgot, this is how DMC3 demoed.

#101_Uwye_Posted 11/28/2012 2:30:57 PM
mahroflcopter posted...
And even if Receipt was right... that raises the question of what the hell is Capcom thinking releasing a 7 month old build?

What? You didn't received the memo? Almost all demos released on consoles are old builds of their respective games. Because it makes sense.
#102FireMage7777Posted 11/28/2012 3:22:22 PM
Receipt posted...
Ether101 posted...
Receipt posted...
Man, I would've missed out on so much of my gaming time's most fond memories if I'd have thought that the demo of this game did anything but scratch the surface. Whew.

Actually, I loved this demo. Every moment I played of it. Which is why I was on a stupid internet message board in 2005 playing it live for people via webcam before the game came out. *sigh* I miss style competitions.

Edit: You are ignoring 8 message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.

Here's the problem with your "logic", DMC3's demo was from an early build of the game the DmC demo came out after the game was completed so it should be close to the final product.

This demo is an old build, there's even placeholder audio. Almost all demos released on consoles are old builds of their respective games. It takes a lot of time and effort to put out a demo, time that they could be using much better during the final months of production on things like performance optimization. That also goes without bringing up cert and stupid licensing things that developers have to go through to even get something on the marketplaces. It's the same demo that press has been playing at events for a while, definitely the one they were playing at E3. It's at LEAST seven months old, do you have any idea how much happens to a game in seven months? That's how things work in real life. You do not compare demos to final builds.

You are ignoring 23 message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.

This isn't the E3 demo, is the PAX Prime demo. You would know that if you were awesome enough to be able to go to these kind of events
---
How do you say "I need more power" in dinosaur? RAAAAAWR!!!
#103Ether101Posted 11/28/2012 3:52:31 PM
Receipt posted...
Ether101 posted...
Receipt posted...
Man, I would've missed out on so much of my gaming time's most fond memories if I'd have thought that the demo of this game did anything but scratch the surface. Whew.

Actually, I loved this demo. Every moment I played of it. Which is why I was on a stupid internet message board in 2005 playing it live for people via webcam before the game came out. *sigh* I miss style competitions.

Edit: You are ignoring 8 message(s) from users on this page. Manage your list here.

Here's the problem with your "logic", DMC3's demo was from an early build of the game the DmC demo came out after the game was completed so it should be close to the final product.

This demo is an old build, there's even placeholder audio. Almost all demos released on consoles are old builds of their respective games. It takes a lot of time and effort to put out a demo, time that they could be using much better during the final months of production on things like performance optimization. That also goes without bringing up cert and stupid licensing things that developers have to go through to even get something on the marketplaces. It's the same demo that press has been playing at events for a while, definitely the one they were playing at E3. It's at LEAST seven months old, do you have any idea how much happens to a game in seven months? That's how things work in real life. You do not compare demos to final builds.

If I recall right, the last two months before a game drops are spent producing physical copies and this game was supposedly done back before it was pushed to January. Combine that with the fact that a lot of demos seem to be ripped right out the game with very little effort put into making sure nothing is leaked, I'm incline to believe that's just not true.
---
Gamers have lost their pride.
Complacency can be a sin.
#104_Uwye_Posted 11/28/2012 4:00:43 PM(edited)
Ether101 posted...
If I recall right, the last two months before a game drops are spent producing physical copies

It varies from game to game depending on various things but one week is actually enough. Skyrim for example went gold 4 days (?) before release date.

Regadless what Receipt is saying is bonkers. I seriously doubt that anyone release demo builds so old, and even if it happens now and then it's not the case for the DmC one.
#105Receipt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2012 12:51:47 AM
Ether101 posted...
Receipt posted...
Ether101 posted...
Receipt posted...

If I recall right, the last two months before a game drops are spent producing physical copies and this game was supposedly done back before it was pushed to January. Combine that with the fact that a lot of demos seem to be ripped right out the game with very little effort put into making sure nothing is leaked, I'm incline to believe that's just not true.

The majority of demos for non XBLA games are E3/TGS/Event builds, which are made months before their respective events because despite what you seem to think, it does in fact take a ****load of time to make a demo. Developers don't just email a build to Microsoft and have it up the next day, everything on live/psn has to pass cert too, which takes more time. They're responsible if they accidentally put out a demo and say, the singleplayer autosave isn't commented out properly and it wipes your default storage device, like with the Viewtiful Joe 2 demo for example.

There are a lot of ways a game can break, there're a lot of things in your console that a game is touching, that could also break, they're handing you a piece of a piece of a game that isn't even finished. They're also it under the assumption that you've actually played a video game before, and maybe even *gasp* a video game demo, to have a reference point for things not being done yet.

There's a reason a message equivalent to "This is a work in progress and not representative of the final product" is in front of these things.

People like you who think you just **** demos out real quick at the end of the line are excruciating to game developers. :\ Listen to E3 podcasts sometime, there's a reason developers wanted to kill it .
---
While there is truth in Receipt's words, there is a tinge of bitterness that makes it seem like he's evil. Like cough syrup. -Paparoach23
#106RichterB17Posted 11/29/2012 12:57:05 AM
Receipt posted...
Ether101 posted...
Receipt posted...
Ether101 posted...
Receipt posted...

The majority of demos for non XBLA games are E3/TGS/Event builds, which are made months before their respective events because despite what you seem to think, it does in fact take a ****load of time to make a demo. Developers don't just email a build to Microsoft and have it up the next day, everything on live/psn has to pass cert too, which takes more time. They're responsible if they accidentally put out a demo and say, the singleplayer autosave isn't commented out properly and it wipes your default storage device, like with the Viewtiful Joe 2 demo for example.

There are a lot of ways a game can break, there're a lot of things in your console that a game is touching, that could also break, they're handing you a piece of a piece of a game that isn't even finished. They're also it under the assumption that you've actually played a video game before, and maybe even *gasp* a video game demo, to have a reference point for things not being done yet.

There's a reason a message equivalent to "This is a work in progress and not representative of the final product" is in front of these things.

People like you who think you just **** demos out real quick at the end of the line are excruciating to game developers. :\ Listen to E3 podcasts sometime, there's a reason developers wanted to kill it .

Sooo we aren't supposed to judge demo's? Then why put them out? What are we supposed to do with them?
---
"The shadows betray you because they belong to me!" - Bane
#107smithkakarotPosted 11/29/2012 1:03:14 AM
I'M COMING OUT
I WANT THE WORLD TO KNOW, GOTTA LET IT SHOW
---
"Welcome to Oblivion!"-Vegeta
#108rice_noodlesPosted 11/29/2012 1:05:50 AM
The demon axe easy SSS thing was fixed in this demo. So it sure as hell wasn't that build.

Now what.
#109_Uwye_Posted 11/29/2012 9:00:26 AM
Receipt posted...

This doesn't change the fact that what you said was a load of bull. Worst case scenario this demo was made in mid August.

RichterB17 posted...
Sooo we aren't supposed to judge demo's? Then why put them out? What are we supposed to do with them?

And you aren't allowed to judge the released game either, because patches, right?
#110stevenbobPosted 11/29/2012 9:20:48 AM
FireMage7777 posted...
Receipt posted...
Ether101 posted...
Receipt posted...

This isn't the E3 demo, is the PAX Prime demo. You would know that if you were awesome enough to be able to go to these kind of events

it is the pax demo except one change they "perfected" the ranking system so no more sss in 3 hits it takes a dodge first

its basically old version of the game in models cut scenes graphics but with the most recent mechanics in terms of moves damage style points
---
Shin Megami Tensei Imagine us version name maelxich
Shin Megami Tensei Imagine Japanese version name maelxich