After the Demo

#1Roxas_27Posted 11/29/2012 2:28:27 AM
I'm still on the fence about this game. Unlike a lot of the haters, I'm willing to give the game a shot, just because it's an honest effort by what I consider to be a rookie developer. I've only played the demo once, but instead of putting me on one side, it's kept me firmly on this fence.

First thing to notice is the lack of lock-on. Instead, R1 makes you dodge. Uh-uh, Ninja Theory, you done goofed on that one. Also to notice is that the old method of weapon switching is gone, and instead holding R1 changes your weapon to a heavy axe, and L1 changes it to a lighter scythe. Like Heavenly Sword, but the difference is that this worked for HS, not so much here. That, or I didn't play enough to swallow the changes in the controls, unnecessary and unhelpful as they may be.

This is probably my only huge gripe, aside from the noticeably-slower pace of the game. The art direction is fantastic, the characters are solid, and the dialogue has lost the corny-factor (which I liked in DMC 3 and before, but by DMC, 4 it had lost its novelty. Everyone can admit that.)

I want to jump onto Ninja Theory's side of this debate, but the controls man, the controls. Why'd they change that, of all things? Change those back and speed the pace up a little, and you've got a game I'm more than likely to throw money down on.

What about everyone else? I know there are a lot of opinions on here, and there have been for a while; I just wanted to add one that isn't so... painful to read.
---
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams
#2BillysanPosted 11/29/2012 2:34:09 AM(edited)
I didn't like the method of weapon switching feels like a amateurish way to try to give the game more depth.

And the lack of lock-on just makes the controls feel more bloated.

And Dante feels really jerky. The animations and combos don't flow very well at all.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 360 Live: Billy Saltzman
#3megamaticsPosted 11/29/2012 2:46:43 AM
You'll probably think the Weapon Switching is even more convoluted when you hear about how you also switch weapons with the D Pad. This is of course to change in and out the Angel and Demon Weapons.
---
GamerTag: RaymondMic/OptimusMega PSN: Optimus Mega
SteamProfile: Megamatics
#4GoldsicklePosted 11/29/2012 3:13:45 AM
I tested the Trigger mechanics and it actually works best for muscle memory.

The "Style"-swap system was too cluttered.

To begin, a lot of Dante's moves like Fireworks and Beast Uppercut weren't Style-exclusive moves.

"Styles" was just a way to regulate Dante's large arsenal.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#5mortredcritPosted 11/29/2012 3:13:48 AM
Billysan posted...
I didn't like the method of weapon switching feels like a amateurish way to try to give the game more depth.

And the lack of lock-on just makes the controls feel more bloated.

And Dante feels really jerky. The animations and combos don't flow very well at all.

In short, NT in charge of tight and responsive controls and gameplay.
But at least you have the art direction and super edgy story.
---
~Thank you for your irrelevant opinion~
#6FireMage7777Posted 11/29/2012 3:18:34 AM
Goldsickle posted...
I tested the Trigger mechanics and it actually works best for muscle memory.

The "Style"-swap system was too cluttered.

To begin, a lot of Dante's moves like Fireworks and Beast Uppercut weren't Style-exclusive moves.

"Styles" was just a way to regulate Dante's large arsenal.

...this post...wow this post...
---
How do you say "I need more power" in dinosaur? RAAAAAWR!!!
#7GoldsicklePosted 11/29/2012 3:19:19 AM
FireMage7777 posted...

What is it?
---
#8FireMage7777Posted 11/29/2012 3:21:14 AM
Goldsickle posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

What is it?

Well it caused me to have an aneurysm due to the sheer amount of horribleness it contained
---
#9GoldsicklePosted 11/29/2012 3:23:20 AM
FireMage7777 posted...
Well it caused me to have an aneurysm due to the sheer amount of horribleness it contained

So I take it that you're too unintelligent to properly explain your negative reaction?
---
#10FireMage7777Posted 11/29/2012 3:27:05 AM
Goldsickle posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

So I take it that you're too unintelligent to properly explain your negative reaction?

After the massive amount of brain cells that died from your horrible post, yes
---