Did DMC1 have the level of depth that DMC3 had?

#11Pesmerga255Posted 11/29/2012 2:09:20 PM
Goldsickle posted...
If one considers DMC1 as a gem, it's an unpolished one.

All the improvements seen in 3, 4 & even 2 were done without Hideki Kamiya's involvement.

When Hideki Kamiya was developing Bayonetta, he researched DMC4 just to keep up with the times, because he himself acknowledged that the stuff he did in DMC was not up to date.

2 had no improvements over 1. The combo system was simplified and the controls are clunkier and a lot harder to work with.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#12QCTeamkillPosted 11/29/2012 2:13:52 PM
mortredcrit posted...
Take note, DMC1 was still using RE1 like tank controls for maneuverability. Great for RE which they got out of it in the middle of the series but not tremendous for a H&S franchise in the making.

Huh?

You mean when you had lock on isn't it still the same in 2 and 3?

Also Dante still had the slowest jog I've ever seen unless he was on DT, that's why players move with chaining stringers so much. I think that girl in the demo actually makes a joke of it : "Dante Run!" "I am running"
#13DarkJaydragonPosted 11/29/2012 2:14:10 PM
Like I said in another topic, DMC1 would probably be the best if it wasn't for the crappy camera system that they used due to the pre-rendered backgrounds of the time and also coming from the RE influence that started DMC.

The game isn't difficult but it's a lot of fun and a great setting, having to learn a camera system to me wasn't fun back then, fighting Griffon and Nightmare were only hard at times because you would get locked in the infinite loop of running out of one scene only to have your controls reversed when you entered another so that you end up running back to where you just came from, also, off-screen attacks in these views were annoying, especially on DMD mode.
---
Not changing this sig until i go to sleep started : 13/01/06 00:40 am GT: Jaydragon117 Flight of dragons is #1.
#14DarkJaydragonPosted 11/29/2012 2:14:54 PM
QCTeamkill posted...
mortredcrit posted...
Take note, DMC1 was still using RE1 like tank controls for maneuverability. Great for RE which they got out of it in the middle of the series but not tremendous for a H&S franchise in the making.

Huh?

You mean when you had lock on isn't it still the same in 2 and 3?

Also Dante still had the slowest jog I've ever seen unless he was on DT, that's why players move with chaining stringers so much. I think that girl in the demo actually makes a joke of it : "Dante Run!" "I am running"

Lol I never noticed that, well spotted.
---
Not changing this sig until i go to sleep started : 13/01/06 00:40 am GT: Jaydragon117 Flight of dragons is #1.
#15GoldsicklePosted 11/29/2012 2:15:18 PM
Pesmerga255 posted...
2 had no improvements over 1

Quick weapon swap, unless you want to pause the game and see a flashy animation every time you want to change firearms.

Also, the button formation of 3 & 4 follows 2's mapping, not 1.

2 also introduced mission select, instead of being forced to replay the missions from the start, in order.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#16QCTeamkillPosted 11/29/2012 2:17:54 PM
Goldsickle posted...
Pesmerga255 posted...

Quick weapon swap, unless you want to pause the game and see a flashy animation every time you want to change firearms.

2 also introduced mission select, instead of being forced to replay the missions from the start, in order.

Actually, the Triangle jump in DMC1 was only for North America. After that they sticked to the japanese standard.
#17Pesmerga255Posted 11/29/2012 2:18:26 PM
Goldsickle posted...
Pesmerga255 posted...

The quick weapon swap was just for guns. Then again, the melee weapons are all exactly the same so it doesn't matter which one you use.

I'll give you the control thing and mission thing.

Dante lost the ability to do attacks like Roundtrip. The Devil Trigger customization thing was more of a hinderance than a help, the missions and environments were boring and the script was pretty much non-existent. 2 was a huge step back in so many ways.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#18Hunter1534Posted 11/29/2012 2:21:14 PM
QCTeamkill posted...
I played all of them as they came out, played it a lot on DMD and talked about it with friends and nobody was using reload canceling or jump cancelling or stun locking Nelo Angelo.

There was no YouTube or whatever, those tricks were reserved to a niche of players.

I, personally, still see jump cancelling as a glitch in enemy step that became a "feature" because obviously it was overpowered and difficult to pull off.

Only when DMC4 came out that I learned about all those gimmicks and I still find many of the "features" an abuse to the game's mechanic.

DMC 3 had intentional jump cancelling. It was in their trailers.
---
Yo momma got caught givin' up neck in the bathroom at the Woodcrest country club, and it wasn't yo daddy.
#19QCTeamkillPosted 11/29/2012 2:26:28 PM
Hunter1534 posted...
QCTeamkill posted...
I played all of them as they came out, played it a lot on DMD and talked about it with friends and nobody was using reload canceling or jump cancelling or stun locking Nelo Angelo.

There was no YouTube or whatever, those tricks were reserved to a niche of players.

I, personally, still see jump cancelling as a glitch in enemy step that became a "feature" because obviously it was overpowered and difficult to pull off.

Only when DMC4 came out that I learned about all those gimmicks and I still find many of the "features" an abuse to the game's mechanic.

DMC 3 had intentional jump cancelling. It was in their trailers.

Fits my theory nicely, DMC players liked the glitch so they kept it in.
#20_Uwye_Posted 11/29/2012 2:32:16 PM
Pesmerga255 posted...
Goldsickle posted...
If one considers DMC1 as a gem, it's an unpolished one.

All the improvements seen in 3, 4 & even 2 were done without Hideki Kamiya's involvement.

When Hideki Kamiya was developing Bayonetta, he researched DMC4 just to keep up with the times, because he himself acknowledged that the stuff he did in DMC was not up to date.

2 had no improvements over 1. The combo system was simplified and the controls are clunkier and a lot harder to work with.

It introduced styles, so to speak. Also, Bloody palace.