Did DMC1 have the level of depth that DMC3 had?

#131NofumasaPosted 12/1/2012 10:39:04 PM
FireMage7777 posted...
mmSNAKE posted...
DMC1 was way better if you ask me. DMC3 was just a anime-ish ripoff.

Again anime used in such broad and derogatory sense. You do understand that anime also has incredible story telling in many series?

Geass, CLANNAD, most recently SA:O

SAO? Sword Art Online?

Aw hell naw.
---
I am Nofumasa Baba.
Brother of Nobufasa Baba.
#132FireMage7777Posted 12/1/2012 10:40:52 PM
Nofumasa posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
mmSNAKE posted...

Again anime used in such broad and derogatory sense. You do understand that anime also has incredible story telling in many series?

SAO? Sword Art Online?

Aw hell naw.

Best anime of 2012
---
This is a "boss" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmIldyRCOkA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
#133KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 12/1/2012 10:42:02 PM
FireMage7777 posted...
Nofumasa posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
mmSNAKE posted...

SAO? Sword Art Online?

Aw hell naw.

Best anime of 2012

You mean best new show, or just show in general? Honestly, I think the best current anime is One Piece. There's just nothing I don't like about it. Luffy is such a boss.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#134mmSNAKEPosted 12/1/2012 10:52:16 PM
It's hard to compare One Piece to many things. Mostly because most of shounen shows like that are not so good. Oda manages to deliver, even after so many years. I could probably go hours about why I like One Piece. I especially resent the blind bias it gets from people that have no idea what it is about or never gave it a decent chance.

Best current show I feel is Psycho Pass, though I like Jormungand a lot as well. SA:O I can't watch because I really don't like stories that have characters play a MMO sort of game.
---
Beatings will continue until morale improves!
#135FireMage7777Posted 12/1/2012 10:59:00 PM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
Nofumasa posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
mmSNAKE posted...

SAO? Sword Art Online?

Aw hell naw.

Best anime of 2012

You mean best new show, or just show in general? Honestly, I think the best current anime is One Piece. There's just nothing I don't like about it. Luffy is such a boss.

New show
---
This is a "boss" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmIldyRCOkA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
#136SinisterSamuraiPosted 12/1/2012 11:18:33 PM
One thing to consider when talking about the first Devil May Cry is that the other games of the time, of the same genre, were Resident Evil and Onimusha. I say they were the same genre, because DMC was really practically of the first of it's kind.

The DMC demo had been included in the RE:CV's case, and the gameplay was lightning fast in comparison to other contemporary games. It was also one of the first (popular) 3D sword titles without a block button, and that was something gamedom as a whole had yet to really wrap it's head around. That, and infinite ammo handguns. It was all new, all so wonderful. It didn't have any 3D predecessors to be compared to. Most people, including Castlevania's main director, described it as the first "true" 3D Castlevania game. An incredible number of players compared the feel of controlling Dante to the feel of controlling a 2D fighter character because of the responsiveness.

So there are definitely some rose lens if you really look for them. Sure, DMC didn't have as many moves available to the player as say, DMC3, but every move had a particular utility. DT gave you unique and powerful moves, instead of just boosting your normal set. Enemies were opponents with their own movesets, not just combo fodder. Every room had a different combat vibe than the previous one, because the player had to adapt to the enemies within. When DMC3 was being programmed, the devs had to dumb down all the enemies because they never knew what kit the players would bring into a particular area. Not the case in DMC; One ancient board celeb commonly described DMC as a puzzle game, except that each boss and enemy's combat strategy was the puzzle you were to solve with the tools at your disposal. It feels like a completely different combat design doc than DMC3 or 4.

But there's more, too. DMC had Survival Horror atmosphere and even character development. Most of the backdrop pieces had old RE descriptors attached, but they weren't neutral. Several descriptions had Dante's bias and perspectives coloring them. there were some other things, too. The old DMC menus may not be technologically superior anymore, but aesthetically they're still some of the most beautiful of any game I've ever seen. Same for the landscapes. Ironically, even though DmC has done everything else wrong, it seems to be the closest so far to DMC's environments.
---
I order you to cease any and all supernatural activity and return forthwith to your place of origin, or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension.
#137WhySoLimpPosted 12/1/2012 11:35:06 PM(edited)
mmSNAKE posted...

Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood come to mind when it comes to incredible story telling.
#138NofumasaPosted 12/1/2012 11:34:11 PM
SAO is **** for me. It felt apart once Kirito becomes Mr. Perfect. The fights are still fun to watch though. I prefer .hack// than SAO. I started JoJo's Bizarre Adventure recently and loving it. Oh and... I like Chuunibyou.
---
I am Nofumasa Baba.
Brother of Nobufasa Baba.
#139FireMage7777Posted 12/1/2012 11:35:10 PM
Nofumasa posted...
SAO is **** for me. It felt apart once Kirito becomes Mr. Perfect. The fights are still fun to watch though. I prefer .hack// than SAO. I started JoJo's Bizarre Adventure recently and loving it. Oh and... I like Chuunibyou.

Mr Perfect?
---
#140KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 12/1/2012 11:35:47 PM
I recently watched (and liked) Angel Beats. It was pretty cool. It was sad at times, but pretty funny. I can't remember how old it is, but it's not new.....
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]