I think people need to compare DmC with Lords of Shadow

#61antking61Posted 12/1/2012 9:27:33 AM
RichterB17 posted...
And the game felt enough like Castlevania to me. It had familiar enemies like Fleamen, Werewolfs, Wargs, Skeletons, and Skeleton Knights, it had vampires, it had a Castle, and a main character with a whip. The only difference was that its an origin story before all the real crazy stuff like the Castle being alive and what not. In my opinion it's a better origin story than Lament of Innocence.

Including or excluding the final boss being Satan wearing a G-String made of clouds, the inability to jump over trip moves, the fact that Gabe's shoulder span in 5 heads wide, and the needless introduction of potentially the most interesting 2 characters in the game just to kill them at the end of the chapter?
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#62redlotus714Posted 12/1/2012 11:04:50 AM
Hmmm if you guys are going to compare these two games lets ponder on this fact what would DmC look like combat wise without capcoms help if heavenly sword is any indicator it would have been awful. Now imagine Los with capcoms combat expertise and advise? Better yet even the playing field what would DmC look like if Nt would have been left to their own devices. I enjoyed Los and actually enjoy DmC so I'm not against either well I would have preferred DmC to be a new ip.
#63No-A-BodyPosted 12/1/2012 11:05:52 AM
MrStarkiller posted...
Body: >here
I get around. This you know.

>LoS
Felt more like Dante's Inferno to me.

>optimistic
This path is of your own choosing.

~I'm not getting the impression Yahya is going to respond. That would be a pity. I might opt to pursue elsewhere.

More like Inferno you say? ... I find that kinda odd. I'm really trying to see you're perspective on it, but I just can't figure it out. I mean, after stage 3 or 4, the environment designs really just repeat in DI. And the enemy variety were very slim I thought. Sure, in LoS you might be fighting a lot of wolf- type enemies for awhile, but it makes sense since you're going after Cornell, the Werewolf Lord of Shadow. I find LoS's enemy variety to be much more then that of DI's.

And my biggest irk with DI is the block. I couldn't block as instantly as I can in GoW, and it made the harder settings in DI a major pain since I couldn't counter as easily. That Dante does this short animation, thus leaving you vulnerable for a few frames, and GoW doesn't seem to have that. I had no issue with countering in LoS.

For me, games that are, or have, a GoW style combat system are as such (I'm going to use the Conan game as a starting point cause I can't think of anything else):

5. Conan: something something darkside I don't know

4. Dante's Inferno

3. Heavenly Sword (HS and DI were going to be the other way around, but I remember actually kind of enjoying HS story)

2. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

1. God of War (Any of them)

And yes, the optimistic path is my choosing. I've highly enjoyed other games people have put to the whip because, you know what, the game actually had decent or good gameplay. I liked Dark Sector, Enslaved, Resident Evil 5, and I'm sure some others. A game has to be fundamentally flawed for me to hate it. A good example of that for me is Dark Void. I LOVE the Rocketter aspect of it, but the on foot portions were just so bare bones that, as much as I tried, I couldn't get into it. And DmC plays very well, so I do look forward to seeing where it takes me.

Though I have said before, E&I damage needs improved, needs a lock-on, and display enemy health. Lock-on and health are needed simply so you can track a specific enemy, destroy him, then move to the next. That's kind of what you need to be able to do on the harder settings. Also, lock-on would eliminate a LOT of having to manually manipulate the camera during a fight, which is something you don't want to have to do when the action gets frantic.

But I'm looking forward to DmC.
---
Gaming Community Today: spend years begging for it, get excited for it, and trash it the moment you're expectations are not met. -ajmrowland
#64BillysanPosted 12/1/2012 7:22:57 PM
RichterB17 posted...

And the game felt enough like Castlevania to me. It had familiar enemies like Fleamen, Werewolfs, Wargs, Skeletons, and Skeleton Knights, it had vampires, it had a Castle, and a main character with a whip. The only difference was that its an origin story before all the real crazy stuff like the Castle being alive and what not. In my opinion it's a better origin story than Lament of Innocence.

I don't know really the plot didn't seem to really have anything to do with Gaberial becoming Dracula. The DLC covered that which I felt was underwhelming.

They really should of explored more of his transformation in the ending of Lords of Shadows. I mean you have all this build up of him becoming dark then the ending basically just says you are forgiven..semi sweet ending!

After Credits oh look Gabe becomes Dracula! You assume okay so maybe he took the mask or something...nope the plot of the main game had nothing to do with it.

Basically all I'm saying is the ending was handled poorly in LoS.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 360 Live: Billy Saltzman
#65No-A-BodyPosted 12/2/2012 6:03:49 PM
Billysan posted...
RichterB17 posted...

I don't know really the plot didn't seem to really have anything to do with Gaberial becoming Dracula. The DLC covered that which I felt was underwhelming.

They really should of explored more of his transformation in the ending of Lords of Shadows. I mean you have all this build up of him becoming dark then the ending basically just says you are forgiven..semi sweet ending!

After Credits oh look Gabe becomes Dracula! You assume okay so maybe he took the mask or something...nope the plot of the main game had nothing to do with it.

Basically all I'm saying is the ending was handled poorly in LoS.

Good point. You see how he could lose all faith after everything he's gone through and having nothing left but anger and darkness in his heart, but his becoming a vampire was kinda phoned in. "Oh, you need to be a vampire to beat such and such ancient evil. Considering he JUST became a vampire, I don't think his power would have grown enough to really matter. I think he beat it simply due to all the power and ability he gained through the main game, so no real point in becoming a vampire other than just for plot.
---
Gaming Community Today: spend years begging for it, get excited for it, and trash it the moment you're expectations are not met. -ajmrowland
#66BillysanPosted 12/2/2012 8:34:16 PM(edited)
Yeah the thing is Laura said he still had love and compassion in his heart. Her biting him was basically his origins into Dracula.

The reason he needed vampire blood was because only pure evil beings can survive inside the forgotten ones realm.

It was phoned in though. It was a rushed way to explain how he became a vampire...felt weak to me.

The plot of the Lords of Shadow seems more focused around the original plot and characters Mercury Steam has crafted with Castlevania elements thrown in around it.

Gabe should of just become a being of Darkness at the end of Lords of Shadows. I don't really think it's necessary to define that Gabe became THE vampire because of a simple bite.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 360 Live: Billy Saltzman
#67MrStarkillerPosted 12/3/2012 3:48:08 PM
Body: >level comparison
I'm only focused on gameplay. The feel of DI and LoS are closer than LoS to GoW.

>DI block
You get used to such things.

NOTE: Unholy only was the right path for a challenge. Holy was a joke. Especially when you get some of the relic and magic antics in full swing for regenerating MP and HP while slinging high damage crosses all over the place. The only issue would be with the final forms of the final boss.

>noted games
SWFU has GoW gameplay, but with unique elements of its own. It's a curious case. DMC4 began accepted a bit of GoW, but I don't know that I care for how that went (and less for DmC). NG3 seems to have the same troublesome adaptation going on. Bayonetta made all this look easy.

>Dark Sector
I liked the demo, but the full product didn't interest me enough.

>Enslaved
No thanks.

>RE5
No to this and RE6.

As for my own example of a title not often given any serious consideration, I'd just drop SWFU1 again.

>Dark Void
Held promise. Didn't seem to deliver. Perhaps another can keep working at what it was trying for. If there is ever a Vanquish 2, I'd like to think they'll focus on the 'flying suit' and work this vertical cover thing in properly. Another entry can focus on the 'melee suit' (Action Beat-Em-Up *God Hand* with mecha). When they've mastered making the three suit system, they can worry about getting their desire of having all three in one game (good luck with that).

>various fixes
Plenty more to note, I'm sure.

>looking forward to DmC
I'm looking forward to the release myself. Just for different reasons.