So, why did we need a reboot (Series sales thread)

#11joegt123Posted 12/1/2012 12:40:19 AM
mmSNAKE posted...
Dragon's dogma - under 2 mil. - good sales
DMC4 - over 2 mil. - bad sales.
Capcom logic

I don't know what the budget was for those but I would assume that more money you put in, more money you want in return. So If they had a bigger budget for DMC4 they might have not as made as much profit.

I don't think there's any way they could have spent much less on dragon's dogma than dmc4... I haven't played d'sd but it looks amazing. I could be horribly wrong but it seems like a pretty damn large budget game to me.
---
http://youtu.be/QHdk36PNuVw?t=50s THE reason I'm giving the Dante May Cry a chance.
Currently Playing: AC: For Answer, and too many to count.
#12KyryloPosted 12/1/2012 12:40:50 AM
mmSNAKE posted...
Capcom logic

I don't know what the budget was for those but I would assume that more money you put in, more money you want in return. So If they had a bigger budget for DMC4 they might have not as made as much profit.

That funniest thing: Dragon's Dogma had much bigger budget than DMC4. Thus reused levels in DMC4.
#13mmSNAKEPosted 12/1/2012 12:43:54 AM
I don't think there's any way they could have spent much less on dragon's dogma than dmc4... I haven't played d'sd but it looks amazing. I could be horribly wrong but it seems like a pretty damn large budget game to me.

You never know. It can depend on all sorts of things. Just by looking at the game it's difficult to tell. Unless it's one of those games like CoD, or most sports games where hardly many things change that warrant a lot of difficult work.
---
Beatings will continue until morale improves!
#14joegt123Posted 12/1/2012 12:45:44 AM
Kyrylo posted...
mmSNAKE posted...
Capcom logic

That funniest thing: Dragon's Dogma had much bigger budget than DMC4. Thus reused levels in DMC4.

I think we're firmly back in "capcom logic" territory again.
---
http://youtu.be/QHdk36PNuVw?t=50s THE reason I'm giving the Dante May Cry a chance.
#15_Uwye_Posted 12/1/2012 1:00:18 AM
JangotheBlueFox posted...
do the sales for DMC3 include the sales of the special edition? and do the sales of each game include the sales of the 5th anniversary collection and the sales of the HD collection?

No, those numbers are of the initial release only. Re-releases, Greatest Hits/Platinum versions, ports made at a later date and the HD collection aren't counted.

mmSNAKE posted...
Capcom logic

Dragon's Dogma is one of the most expensive projects ever made by Capcom, probably just behind RE6 (and maybe RE4).

-There has been a lot of speculation that Dragonís Dogma is Capcomís biggest and most expensive game produced. Can you confirm of deny this?

Itsuno: Iím not sure if it is the most expensive, but I do know it is one of the most expensive projects at Capcom, and that it also has the most staff working on it. Within the company, we have 150 people currently working on it. If we include outsourced staff, that adds another 150 people for a total of 300. As for why it costs so much money and needs so many people, the game has a lot of content and there also numerous technical challenges, which should become evident once you play the game. For example, we used between fifty to sixty people to do the voice acting for the game.

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/422519/interview_capcom_video_game_director_hideaki_itsuno/

There's no way that DMC was rebooted because it wasn't profitable enough or some BS like that. Capcom did it either because they thought that it will sell more this way or because they think that sales won't be impacted so they might as well free one of their internal teams to work on something else.
#16FireMage7777Posted 12/1/2012 1:07:30 AM
joegt123 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
joegt123 posted...
With numbers like that I'm amazed they didn't can the series before 4. Lucky they sold as much of 4 as they did or not even this derpboot would be happening.

Those are actually good sales though...

I mean the fact that each game sold less and less. 3, arguably the best, sold the least. Clearly it was a trend seeming to form, there.

Um, 4 sold the most, and 3 had backlash from 2...
---
Still waiting for that comeback Sickle
#17mmSNAKEPosted 12/1/2012 1:09:47 AM
If that's the case, oh well. Just shows how much they value the franchise.
---
Beatings will continue until morale improves!
#18joegt123Posted 12/1/2012 1:11:21 AM
FireMage7777 posted...
joegt123 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
joegt123 posted...
With numbers like that I'm amazed they didn't can the series before 4. Lucky they sold as much of 4 as they did or not even this derpboot would be happening.

I mean the fact that each game sold less and less. 3, arguably the best, sold the least. Clearly it was a trend seeming to form, there.

Um, 4 sold the most, and 3 had backlash from 2...

Pay attention to the whole discussion.... I was saying that I was amazed that the series wasn't canned after 3 due to falling sales. Though if it discludes subsequent releases, then we don't have the numbers on SE. Which does make the point rather invalid.
---
#19Kobe_Got_JamPosted 12/1/2012 1:27:05 AM
Ether101 posted...
joegt123 posted...
FireMage7777 posted...
joegt123 posted...

DMC2 soled well because of DMC1's reputation.
DMC3 soled badly because DMC2's reputation.
DMC4 soled well because of DMC3's reputation.

There's a pattern there.

Is the pattern misspelling?
---
PSN ID: MoirNoir
#20_Uwye_Posted 12/1/2012 1:27:10 AM
joegt123 posted...
Pay attention to the whole discussion.... I was saying that I was amazed that the series wasn't canned after 3 due to falling sales. Though if it discludes subsequent releases, then we don't have the numbers on SE. Which does make the point rather invalid.

But the fact was that they knew why DMC3 sold less. It wasn't "well, DMC is selling less and less despite all the games being good, let's can the series" (coughOnimushacough). Since the sales by themselves were waaaaaay more than decent and the feedback was good (to say the least) it's not so weird that they greenlighted one more game to see how it goes.

Regarding the SE the numbers I've always heard were in the 500k range, but don't quote me on that.