Parrying: Face Enemies Or Not?

#1GoldsicklePosted 12/3/2012 2:51:28 PM
In Bayonetta, MGR & DmC, parrying requires you to face the enemy.

In games like DMC3-4 & Onimusha, you only need to press the guard button at the right time regardless of where the attack is coming from.

Which system do you prefer?
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#2Pesmerga255Posted 12/3/2012 2:57:43 PM
All direction guard. A good example is in KH BBS. Terra's guard is almost useless, but Aqua's is great.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#3FNP88Posted 12/3/2012 2:58:00 PM
Bayonettas parries felt amazing, and i like how DmC has implemented it so far(really need to mess around with it more on the normal mobs). Not that the system in DMC3/4 was bad at all, i just found Bayonettas to be better personally.
#4KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 12/3/2012 2:59:47 PM
I prefer facing the enemy. I just feel it's more realistic then being able to parry any attack from any direction. I also think it takes a little more skill.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#5FireMage7777Posted 12/3/2012 3:02:08 PM
Pesmerga255 posted...
All direction guard. A good example is in KH BBS. Terra's guard is almost useless, but Aqua's is great.

All you need to beat Vanitas with Aqua
---
This is a "boss" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmIldyRCOkA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
#6Pesmerga255Posted 12/3/2012 3:27:39 PM
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...
I prefer facing the enemy. I just feel it's more realistic then being able to parry any attack from any direction. I also think it takes a little more skill.

I don't get this obsession people have with realism in games.
---
#7Pesmerga255Posted 12/3/2012 3:28:15 PM
FireMage7777 posted...
Pesmerga255 posted...

All you need to beat Vanitas with Aqua

True. It doesn't do **** against Mysterious Figure though. That bastard.
---
#8KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 12/3/2012 3:31:02 PM
Pesmerga255 posted...
KA_ME_HA_ME_HA posted...

I don't get this obsession people have with realism in games.

I'm not saying I want the entire game to be 100% realistic, but some things I just prefer to be realistic. I don't like pushing a button and blocking any attack from anywhere. Best example is Batman AC. A thug is going to hit you with a pipe? Just hit triangle and Batman will auto block anything. From any angle, he sees it. Hell, even in the cartoon and the comics he couldn't block stuff he couldn't see. I just like certain things to be realistic.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#9Pesmerga255Posted 12/3/2012 3:32:48 PM
He isn't blocking. He's using his mad Batman skillz to counter-attack.
---
#10_Uwye_Posted 12/3/2012 3:33:42 PM
I like the "facing the enemy" way. No real reason, I guess it just looks better that the animation starts without my character suddenly turning around.