Parrying: Face Enemies Or Not?

#11Pesmerga255Posted 12/3/2012 4:35:36 PM

I'm not saying I want the entire game to be 100% realistic, but some things I just prefer to be realistic.

Realism doesn't belong in Devil May Cry.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#12KA_ME_HA_ME_HAPosted 12/3/2012 4:37:22 PM
Pesmerga255 posted...

I'm not saying I want the entire game to be 100% realistic, but some things I just prefer to be realistic.

Realism doesn't belong in Devil May Cry.

I never said it does. I just prefer the "Face the enemy" style of parrying.
---
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]
#13joegt123Posted 12/3/2012 4:46:14 PM
I like the batman/assassin's creed way of doing it. Where the character reaches behind themselves to block/parry. It adds a sense of omnipresence to the character that just seems...fitting considering you're not playing some inept schmuck who's running out into the wild with a sword looking to stab people to pieces.

If you want it to be more realistic/fair with the omniblocking, then I say make the parry window smaller when not facing the enemy than when you are. Something like that.
---
http://youtu.be/QHdk36PNuVw?t=50s THE reason I'm giving the Dante May Cry a chance.
Currently Playing: Assassin's Glitch 3, and too many to count.
#14Psychochild27Posted 12/3/2012 6:20:47 PM(edited)
In Bayonetta, MGR & DmC, parrying requires you to face the enemy.

Bayonetta doesn't. Can't speak for MGR, but in Bayonetta you can be locked onto an enemy, get attacked from behind by a second enemy and she'll block it with no fuss. If you're using lock on, she'll change her target only after the block but which direction she's facing is not a factor to a successful parry (Though very rarely she'll continue to target her original target after the block).

Bayonetta's parry is a bit more involved and a bit more satisfying to use for it, but it's effectively DMC3's block with a directional input in lieu of a single button.
---
/sits in Dante's chair.
#15FNP88Posted 12/3/2012 6:31:37 PM
Psychochild27 posted...

Bayonetta doesn't. Can't speak for MGR, but in Bayonetta you can be locked onto an enemy, get attacked from behind by a second enemy and she'll block it with no fuss. If you're using lock on, she'll change her target only after the block but which direction she's facing is not a factor to a successful parry (Though very rarely she'll continue to target her original target after the block).

Bayonetta's parry is a bit more involved and a bit more satisfying to use for it, but it's effectively DMC3's block with a directional input in lieu of a single button.

Hmmm, i thought you had to be facing your enemy. I might have just messed up a few times trying it like you explained at first, and assumed i had to be facing directly towards them. Also, "lieu" is one of those words that i find so pointless. It literally has the same amount of letters as "place", why say it in French? Not making fun of you, just think it is funny.
#16Psychochild27Posted 12/3/2012 6:46:51 PM
FNP88 posted...
Psychochild27 posted...

Hmmm, i thought you had to be facing your enemy. I might have just messed up a few times trying it like you explained at first, and assumed i had to be facing directly towards them. Also, "lieu" is one of those words that i find so pointless. It literally has the same amount of letters as "place", why say it in French? Not making fun of you, just think it is funny.

If they mean the same thing, what difference does it make?

And yeah, I tested it before I posted. Lost Chapter second wave's a good place to try as the angels there are very easy to parry and it takes no time to get there.
---
/sits in Dante's chair.
#17pyro_buntaPosted 12/3/2012 10:36:06 PM
If it wasn't Royal Guard, then yes. I prefer the direction precise parrying unlike *coughassassinscreedcough*
---
...if you know what I mean
#18Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 11:42:10 PM
Psychochild27 posted...
Bayonetta doesn't.

Let me rephrase:

Bayonetta requires you to specifically point towards the direction of the attack.
This method is closer to 'facing' the attack than DMC or Onimusha's method where you just press the block button when the time is right.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#19Psychochild27Posted 12/4/2012 1:40:34 AM(edited)
In that case, DMC3, though it's not as simple as which input you like.

DmC's parries are disappointing because they're sort of all over the place. They're both mindless to pull off when you don't intend to, but when you're trying, it's a very deliberate, clumsy process that doesn't feel like you accomplished anything when you pull it off. In the demo, if you swing too early, that just stops most enemies in their tracks, the attack doesn't come out, you don't lose anything for it. Nail the timing and you don't get much for your troubles. You stop the attack and short of the Cherubs, the Ice Guys and Poison who have interesting results from your parries (Though parrying an ice guy when he's the only one on the field's more annoying than helpful), that's it. Your attack goes through, you get 10 style points and you keep on trucking.

It's one of those instances where I truly believe Ninja Theory when they claim they balanced the game for DMD mode, because only when the enemies in the demo are DT'ed and have hit stun resistance will a parry be remotely useful. Otherwise, dodges reward the player far, far more for significantly less effort.

Bayonetta swings really hard the other way. It's really intuitive to pull off and they reward you very nicely for your trouble of getting that perfect parry (or any parry really), but it's also ridiculously easy to exploit as since they're directional inputs, you can spam them during a combo string to no ill effect so long as you you're not accidentally doing stilleto/launcher inputs. If an attack lands while Bayonetta's attacking an enemy and you're going LEFTLEFTLEFTLEFTLEFT, the parry will take priority and kick in because Bayonetta can pretty much cancel out of just about every attack she has at any point (Though even ones like Punish will parry and keep the Punish trucking).

DMC3's style is bar none the best. It feels intuitive and responsive like Bayonetta, but it can't be effortlessly spammed during combo strings due to the input method and all the interruptable frames Bayonetta has in her attacks. Plus, I like how the single button solution lends itself well to parrying attacks with longer active frames like Nevan's bat-spin and with a single button, attacks coming from the ceiling or beneath you are fair game to parry and there's little confusion on how you'd do that. You can't parry Poison's earth pillar attack, but you certainly can handle Berial's lava pillars or Cerberus' icicle drop very intuitively.

It actually adds more options for interesting parry opportunities than it takes away.
#20Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 2:50:33 AM
Psychochild27 posted...
DmC's parries are disappointing because they're sort of all over the place.

DmC's parry is exactly the same as the parrying in DMC1.

For example, parrying a Sin Scissor so you can get a critical hit on it's mask or parrying Nightmare's thrust attack so that the core is exposed for a long time.
Parrying Nelo Angelo is a bit more trickier but you can stun him for a bit.

Also, this parry mechanic is carried over by Nero in DMC4 (since he lacks Royal Guard).
The problem is that it's overlooked completely (players seem to focus more on Exceed and Devil Bringer), so I don't know how many enemies are effected by it.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".