New Dante Hate

#11KaijinSurohmPosted 12/5/2012 8:20:18 AM
SilentPhenomed posted...
Well I'm a DMC vet, and ill say that I prefer new Dante. He's at least not saying things that make me facepalm my face till its numb. Dante was different in like every DMC. He was either too lame or too cheesy (or too serious for dmc2). People are just so attached to this fictional one dimensional character. I personally say "WHO CARES" I don't love the old Dante, it's a fictional non-existing character, why should I care what Capcom does with him?

Then don't care? Sorry bud, but the mass of fans didn't ask you "Will you care about this change with us"?

Most fans feel that they destroyed a legends when it wasn't needed. And liking Donte over Dante makes me worry about the new generation of kids.

Basically, what it tells me is this
*Donte*
Bad Attitude
Massive swearing
Do what I want, because I can, and if you don't like it, stop me
Drug looking appeal

wins over

*Dante*
Human attitude
Sarcastic
Never swears past "Hell"
As the power to stop Demons, and never forces that on people
Very clean looking, with body that fits the job of what he can do
#12VitaminAK(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 8:23:51 AM
KaijinSurohm posted...
VitaminAK, I really have tried to see him in the the new "Edgy and Dark" style that they claim, but it just comes off as horrible, and an insult at best.

Thanks for the intelligent post, how refreshing. You made some good points there.

About the dialogue: I prefer the new stuff, I think it is edgy and well done, I think it is much more well rounded and focused as character delivery than the old stuff. I just get a better feel for the character his dynamics, and how he relates to his world and situation. For me old dante was a cool dude, but the delivery of the characterization just seriously diminished the feeling of angst and seriousness of the entire game for me, i never felt anything i did really mattered, nor did the protagonist even really care. I guess its nice to have those feelings in this world for the first time, at least so far.

Drug addict: I can see where your coming from on that front. Hes not a typical hero archetype. But that's what I personally like so much about it.
#13QCTeamkillPosted 12/5/2012 8:24:06 AM
I gave my copy of DMC4 to my nephews, see if they like it and consider giving them DmC in January.

They call me later asking how to get passed they "old gay vampire" on mission 1.

Out of the mouths of babes.
#14Pesmerga255Posted 12/5/2012 8:25:33 AM
VitaminAK posted...
KaijinSurohm posted...
VitaminAK, I really have tried to see him in the the new "Edgy and Dark" style that they claim, but it just comes off as horrible, and an insult at best.

Thanks for the intelligent post, how refreshing. You made some good points there.

About the dialogue: I prefer the new stuff, I think it is edgy and well done, I think it is much more well rounded and focused as character delivery than the old stuff. I just get a better feel for the character his dynamics, and how he relates to his world and situation. For me old dante was a cool dude, but the delivery of the characterization just seriously diminished the feeling of angst and seriousness of the entire game for me, i never felt anything i did really mattered, nor did the protagonist even really care. I guess its nice to have those feelings in this world for the first time, at least so far.

Drug addict: I can see where your coming from on that front. Hes not a typical hero archetype. But that's what I personally like so much about it.

It's up to you whether you like it or not, but I'd rather you didn't try and pass my reasons off for disliking him as invalid.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#15VitaminAK(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 8:30:25 AM
Pesmerga255 posted...

It's up to you whether you like it or not, but I'd rather you didn't try and pass my reasons off for disliking him as invalid.

someone else justified your reasoning with valid explanations, maybe you shouldnt generalize so much, read what you write and try to justify it yourself next time? just a thought.
#16Pesmerga255Posted 12/5/2012 8:32:38 AM
I don't have any reason to justify my personal dislike of a character to anybody else.
---
#17KaijinSurohmPosted 12/5/2012 8:34:09 AM
VitaminAK posted...

Hmm. The biggest problem with that, is that it's Dante. He's the "Godmode Sue" of the DmC games, lol. He was Half Demon, Half Human, and could click the Devil Trigger. His job wasn't to save the world (even though that seemed to happen every tuesday), his job was just to butcher a bunch of demons, and make it look easy lol.

If Dante actually had issues killing something, then that world was done for. That was Dante's basic character design. "Angst" was never really part of it. Mundus tried playing with Dante's heart, and it got him killed. Lady showed a rebellious Dante that life isn't all about Pizza (though I have a feelign that was just a front, and he was good hearted the whole time), and Angus stole Yamato - which got him killed lol.

Ah well, I'm rambling now. Basically, Dante has no angst to worry about. He was too good at his job, and nothing was too big to take down. (Litturaly)

Donte feels like he's beeing pushed into the fight, and the fact he is sucked into Limbo, where noone can see him actually fight, would be a mental strain. That little thing personally annoyed me, since it just makes Donte look even more mental then before.
Probably what NT was going for though.
#18KaijinSurohmPosted 12/5/2012 8:36:35 AM
Pesmerga255 posted...
I don't have any reason to justify my personal dislike of a character to anybody else.

Then don't post. I can't stand Donte, but I'm more then willing to give a reason as to WHY I don't like him.

Just saying "He's a Tool" and leaving it at that leaves room for people to berate you. If you if go into depth as to what he does, why he does it, how he looks, why he looks that way, etc, and touch every aspect possible, it gets people to go "Hmm. Let me rethink my opinion, and I'll come back to you with something more then "Your an idiot.".
#19pyro_buntaPosted 12/5/2012 8:37:02 AM
VitaminAK posted...
Lol, i have played ALL dmc games, and right when they came out. I am a true fan of the series.

His new look is very socially relevant to my generation and i'm 30. Its not relevant to anyone under 20. i am surprised at the vast misconception here. His look, style and everything is constantly said to be based in a completely different genre than its intent.

The swearing is well done, as it does exactly what you explained and does it well. I dont see the point you made there.

Shunned as human beings? really? Judging from your statements, i'm not sure you should be making such bold (and baseless) remarks.

What do you think of the removal of lock-on? Like it? Hate it? Use it much on the older DMC games?
---
Like Drawing? Like Anime-Manga? Join the OT Draw Thread!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/post.php?board=2000121&topic=64830865
#20Pesmerga255Posted 12/5/2012 8:37:05 AM
Lady showed a rebellious Dante that life isn't all about Pizza

Explain the scene in DMC4 when Dante, Lady and Trish are sitting in Devil May Cry.
---