Best Hack&Slash for 2013? DmC, NGS3, GOW4, MGR, or CLOS2?

#201shatterstarPosted 12/8/2012 6:26:40 PM
Strelok posted...
So do the Call of Duty games.

I have learned to ignore "professional" reviewers ever since I saw a reviewer give Baldurs Gate a 2/10 because he hated Dungeons & Dragons and it was very clear he never even got out of the prologue.

Well good for you Tripweed but we all know that a majority of gamers base their purchase on reviews.

I don't but how many times we've heard gamers say in these forums...."I'll wait for the reviews before I buy."

I'll say about a million times.
#202LordMePosted 12/8/2012 6:46:03 PM(edited)
shatterstar posted...
Strelok posted...

I have learned to ignore "professional" reviewers ever since I saw a reviewer give Baldurs Gate a 2/10 because he hated Dungeons & Dragons and it was very clear he never even got out of the prologue.

Well good for you Tripweed but we all know that a majority of gamers base their purchase on reviews.

I don't but how many times we've heard gamers say in these forums...."I'll wait for the reviews before I buy."

That didn't save Enslaved. High reviews don't mean high sales.

Many games that get praised in reviews, and fail on the market. Happens all the time.
#203Stink_NastyPosted 12/8/2012 7:32:58 PM
Kamiya said that if he was going to do DMC2 he was going to do it with an all new character, so unless the novels is based on a different character I don't know.

MGS had a good story and then 4 came in and tried to patch everything up and it was kind of a mess. The characters were good though and people enjoyed them, which is why even though the story and plot progression was OK, people liked it because of the characters.

I don't think Platinum has ever made a game with a good story to date, this usually shouldn't be a problem, but they make bad stories and then throw it in your face. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls don't have great stories, but people love those games and they're great, why? Because the lore is left for you to explore, the core component of the game is the game play and the developers don't shy away from that and don't put a huge emphasis in the story.

The core component in Bayo, DMC, NG is the game play, but games like DMC4 and Bayo try way too hard with their story and it comes out terrible. Everything about them is bad, even NG has a terrible story but NG and NG2 doesn't really shove the story at you like Bayo did.

Bottom line, if this game featured the same crap as MGR, people would be throwing a fit. It could play exactly the same way, so long as NT made it, people would be throwing a fit. The only reason most people like MGR now is because its made by Platinum.
---
Child: Can you tell me another story about the Shepard? Stargazer: Did you buy the DLC?
Child: No......Stargazer: Then go to bed. -readyforwar
#204Dominus_1Posted 12/8/2012 8:45:48 PM
Stink_Nasty posted...
Kamiya said that if he was going to do DMC2 he was going to do it with an all new character, so unless the novels is based on a different character I don't know.

MGS had a good story and then 4 came in and tried to patch everything up and it was kind of a mess. The characters were good though and people enjoyed them, which is why even though the story and plot progression was OK, people liked it because of the characters.

I don't think Platinum has ever made a game with a good story to date, this usually shouldn't be a problem, but they make bad stories and then throw it in your face. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls don't have great stories, but people love those games and they're great, why? Because the lore is left for you to explore, the core component of the game is the game play and the developers don't shy away from that and don't put a huge emphasis in the story.

The core component in Bayo, DMC, NG is the game play, but games like DMC4 and Bayo try way too hard with their story and it comes out terrible. Everything about them is bad, even NG has a terrible story but NG and NG2 doesn't really shove the story at you like Bayo did.

Bottom line, if this game featured the same crap as MGR, people would be throwing a fit. It could play exactly the same way, so long as NT made it, people would be throwing a fit. The only reason most people like MGR now is because its made by Platinum.

What are you even talking about? DMC4 story wasn't good but it wasn't bad enough that it ruined the game. Did you even play DMC4? The story started out good it just faltered later and is probably why they repeated levels in the game. Hell in the end it was just Dante goes on mission to get back yamato from Sparda worshiping cult and destroy them(and reclose the gate), where Nero has a devil like power awaken in himself and eventually realizes the group he's a part of is evil and helps put an end to it (and save his "gf").

MGR story isn't even being penned by Platinum its being penned by KojiPro. So for MGS fans they still get to maintain some MGS elements. This is not the same for DmC in which both gameplay and story are being developed by NT. I know Capcom is overseeing the gameplay but that's not the same as it being internally developed by Capcom on MT framework...
#205Stink_NastyPosted 12/8/2012 9:04:25 PM

What are you even talking about? DMC4 story wasn't good but it wasn't bad enough that it ruined the game. Did you even play DMC4? The story started out good it just faltered later and is probably why they repeated levels in the game. Hell in the end it was just Dante goes on mission to get back yamato from Sparda worshiping cult and destroy them(and reclose the gate), where Nero has a devil like power awaken in himself and eventually realizes the group he's a part of is evil and helps put an end to it (and save his "gf").

MGR story isn't even being penned by Platinum its being penned by KojiPro. So for MGS fans they still get to maintain some MGS elements. This is not the same for DmC in which both gameplay and story are being developed by NT. I know Capcom is overseeing the gameplay but that's not the same as it being internally developed by Capcom on MT framework...

Ok first off you're wrong, I have played DMC4, you can check my stupid profile and se I beat it once and never touched it again because I didn't like it.

I don't see how you can say it "started good then faltered" that would imply only theending sucked, but at the halfway mark, the game takes a turn for the worse. So although I agree that it started OK, the last half of the game was crap. So I don't see how a story can be good or OK when half of it sucked. That makes no sense.

Secondly, I never mentioned that Platinum was writing MGR, I said that the story in their games sucked and they do. I also mentioned that Kojima isn't an amazing story teller, rather the characters he made were interesting and likeable and carried the story. So my argument isn't that MGR's story will suck because I don't know if it will or won't. My main argument is that MGR commits many of the "sins" that many of the DMC fans thought NT would ruin DMC with, but that was never the case.

MGR has breakups in the fluidity of combat with Blade mode, also this is pretty constant. It happens every couple of seconds, which if it were featured in this DmC, it will be hated by everyone. I only think that the reason people like MGR so much is because it's being developed by Platinum. If DmC looked exactly like MGR but was still being developed by NT, people would hate it regardless of whether it looked the same or not.

Finally, Capcom worked hand in hand with them to develop the game play, Tameem has come out and sad and so has everyone at Capcom. NT's primary focus was the story, Capcom let them use the Unreal engine and basically Capcom did what they can with that engine to create the combat we see now. Also, NT's games have been lauded for their story, regardless of whether it was written by Tameem or not, they were known for their art direction and story. I'm not saying DmC's story will be good either, I don't know, I haven't played it but it's a possibility it could be.
---
Child: Can you tell me another story about the Shepard? Stargazer: Did you buy the DLC?
Child: No......Stargazer: Then go to bed. -readyforwar
#206shatterstarPosted 12/8/2012 9:22:49 PM
LordMe posted...
shatterstar posted...
Strelok posted...

That didn't save Enslaved. High reviews don't mean high sales.

Many games that get praised in reviews, and fail on the market. Happens all the time.

Namco's PR department killed that game. That game received next to very little promotion. I didn't know a damn thing about Enslaved until my friend told me to download the demo after it was out for about 8 months.

I never seen any TV advertisement or anything about Enslaved.
#207Pesmerga255Posted 12/8/2012 9:34:04 PM
I saw an advert for MGR on 4od back in October. Weirdly, I haven't actually seen it advertised on TV once though.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#208Psychochild27Posted 12/8/2012 9:45:49 PM
I could see Dmc being longer than MGR. From the videos I've seen (and the demo) the game has a lot of platforming which will probably extend the overall length. Also you have to find the keys to unlock secret missions so I could see that taking some people a while. The question that remains for me though is will the extra time make the game worthwhile?

The heavy platforming and the super-limiting scripted Limbo sequences that can only be cleared one way is the worst thing about DmC. All of the heavy platforming set pieces might be interesting the first time around, but on subsequent playthroughs it's time-consuming filler keeping you out of the most interesting content in the game, the combat. I don't touch a number of missions in DMC3 (7, 10, 15, 16, 17) and DMC4 (4, 5, 13, 14, 18) for that reason.

With the DmC demo, I ended up just quitting the demo after I cleared the third fight in Under Watch for that reason and it's why I make a point to use a cherub to jump cancel up and skip all the angel pull/demon pull nonsense in the first room. If the game has as much Limbo nonsense in each stage as we see in the demo, I don't want anything to do with it.

I saw an advert for MGR on 4od back in October. Weirdly, I haven't actually seen it advertised on TV once though.

It's over two months from release, why would you?
#209Pesmerga255Posted 12/8/2012 9:48:36 PM
It's over two months from release, why would you?

4od is an on demand service for a TV channel we get here. They normally show adverts that are actively shown on the channels it covers.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#210sworderPosted 12/8/2012 9:56:19 PM
Psychochild27 posted...
The heavy platforming and the super-limiting scripted Limbo sequences that can only be cleared one way is the worst thing about DmC. All of the heavy platforming set pieces might be interesting the first time around, but on subsequent playthroughs it's time-consuming filler keeping you out of the most interesting content in the game, the combat. I don't touch a number of missions in DMC3 (7, 10, 15, 16, 17) and DMC4 (4, 5, 13, 14, 18) for that reason.

With the DmC demo, I ended up just quitting the demo after I cleared the third fight in Under Watch for that reason and it's why I make a point to use a cherub to jump cancel up and skip all the angel pull/demon pull nonsense in the first room. If the game has as much Limbo nonsense in each stage as we see in the demo, I don't want anything to do with it.

Sounds like you just have an attention span problem.

All you need to do is jump from one platform to the next while occasionally pulling something. That is far less time consuming than the stuff you needed to do in DMC4. If you've always been playing DMC, I don't see how you don't see this as anything other than an improvement.