You know, after playing Devil May Cry 4 again...

#1mahroflcopterPosted 12/8/2012 7:27:03 PM
You know, I was beginning to warm up to this reboot. I had gotten used to the new style of writing, I was getting used to the new soundtrack, and I was okay with the art direction. Then it hit me: It had been over a year and a half since I had last played Devil May Cry 4, and therefore it was hard for me to make a comparison. So I popped Devil May Cry 4 into the disc tray and gave it another spin (I'm not gonna even get into how this compared to Devil May Cry 3...). The result?

I have come to the conclusion that DmC is quite possibly the worst thing Capcom could have done with the series.

In regards to Nero:

After just 10 minutes I felt right back at home slaughtering demons like nobodies business. Devil May Cry 4 felt so fluid it was like I was carving butter with each button press, the Exceed system was as rewarding as ever, and bustering enemies just felt good. And the Manual Lock On? A HUGE boon. And I really did miss the ability to taunt.

In regards to Dante:

No comparison. Fluid, responsive, manual lock on, the ability to change movesets and weapons with a single button press (no need for holding with some additional button presses needed later on), the presence of Royal Guard (sorely missed), the presence of Trickster (dodging and a little blue teleport don't make up for it), and of course... you can taunt.

Overall:

The graphics have aged pretty well considering that was hardly the main focus of the game and considering it is over 4 1/2 years old at this point. The character models, animations, and inputs? They beat DmC, bend it over the table, and then taunts the living hell out of it until DmC cries uncle. And say what you will about the art direction being to "animu"... I still prefer the gothic architecture, ancient ruins, spanish castles, mountains, and forests to that Bayonetta wannabe art direction crossed with contemporary themes DmC has going. And the enemies themselves? HELL YES! Frosts, Blitz, Assaults, Alto Angelos, Blanco Angelos, Mephistos, Fausts, etc. kick the ass of the Stygian, Ravager, Death Knights, and Pathos found in DmC. Also, as a first boss, Berial puts Poison to shame. Finally, the voice acting: Johnny Yong Bosch, Liam O' Brien, Stephanie Shen along with Rueben Langdon so far demolish anything found in DmC.

DmC is less fluid, less responsive, has a certain amount of lag, really needs work with the hit boxes, has a needlessly uncomfortable control scheme, has uninspired enemy designs...

Basically, after nearly coming around... I've slid right back into the camp of "I will never buy this in a million years". I don't even care about what they did with the story... I can skip over that. The downgrade to the combat? Yeah, I'll wait for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Bayonetta 2.

So it's been real on this board. Hell, I've even enjoyed humoring the trolls since they try just so damn hard. But I just can't support this direction Capcom and Ninja Theory have taken. So...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls0e5g1oWn1qjkv09o1_500.gif
---
Currently going "squa squa squa!"
The DmC Demo didn't hurt my butt, it just gave it a rash. The cure? Play Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4.
#2LordChewbaccaPosted 12/8/2012 7:40:44 PM
I must agree dmc4 has held up really well in terms of the visuals and animations. I don't know what Capcom did to achieve these graphics back then but kudos to them MT framework is my favourite engine in the business.

DmC visual i can't comment because i wont play it on consoles only pc so any performance and jaggy problems will disappear for me.

In terms of gameplay (not a jab at DmC) i feel every action game has been lacking since Dante was given on the fly style switching. This factor makes him so incredibly fun and versatile to play as that I can pop in the game and play bloody palace for an hour any day.
#3pyro_buntaPosted 12/8/2012 10:16:34 PM
Nero's taunts were gold.

Gotta gow Legendary Dark Knight mode if you want more dose of cuhrayzee. That is if you have a decent PC.
---
Like Drawing? Like Anime-Manga? Join the OT Draw Thread!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000121-anime-and-manga-other-titles/64830865
#4Pesmerga255Posted 12/8/2012 10:23:39 PM

DmC visual i can't comment because i wont play it on consoles only pc so any performance and jaggy problems will disappear for me.

You can't say that for certain. It might get a bad PC port.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#5SiLVeR_420Posted 12/8/2012 11:07:59 PM
Pesmerga255 posted...

Is any outscourced port ever good?
---
Gamertag- youngSiLVeRstar
Forgive the name.
#6SilentS89Posted 12/8/2012 11:10:15 PM
SiLVeR_420 posted...
Pesmerga255 posted...

Is any outscourced port ever good?

Its funny because Capcom outsourced DmC to Ninja Theory and Ninja Theory outsourced the PC port. Its outsourcing inception.
#7darkslayer001Posted 12/8/2012 11:23:52 PM
mahroflcopter posted...
You know, I was beginning to warm up to this reboot. I had gotten used to the new style of writing, I was getting used to the new soundtrack, and I was okay with the art direction. Then it hit me: It had been over a year and a half since I had last played Devil May Cry 4, and therefore it was hard for me to make a comparison. So I popped Devil May Cry 4 into the disc tray and gave it another spin (I'm not gonna even get into how this compared to Devil May Cry 3...). The result?

I have come to the conclusion that DmC is quite possibly the worst thing Capcom could have done with the series.

In regards to Nero:

After just 10 minutes I felt right back at home slaughtering demons like nobodies business. Devil May Cry 4 felt so fluid it was like I was carving butter with each button press, the Exceed system was as rewarding as ever, and bustering enemies just felt good. And the Manual Lock On? A HUGE boon. And I really did miss the ability to taunt.

In regards to Dante:

No comparison. Fluid, responsive, manual lock on, the ability to change movesets and weapons with a single button press (no need for holding with some additional button presses needed later on), the presence of Royal Guard (sorely missed), the presence of Trickster (dodging and a little blue teleport don't make up for it), and of course... you can taunt.

Overall:

The graphics have aged pretty well considering that was hardly the main focus of the game and considering it is over 4 1/2 years old at this point. The character models, animations, and inputs? They beat DmC, bend it over the table, and then taunts the living hell out of it until DmC cries uncle. And say what you will about the art direction being to "animu"... I still prefer the gothic architecture, ancient ruins, spanish castles, mountains, and forests to that Bayonetta wannabe art direction crossed with contemporary themes DmC has going. And the enemies themselves? HELL YES! Frosts, Blitz, Assaults, Alto Angelos, Blanco Angelos, Mephistos, Fausts, etc. kick the ass of the Stygian, Ravager, Death Knights, and Pathos found in DmC. Also, as a first boss, Berial puts Poison to shame. Finally, the voice acting: Johnny Yong Bosch, Liam O' Brien, Stephanie Shen along with Rueben Langdon so far demolish anything found in DmC.

DmC is less fluid, less responsive, has a certain amount of lag, really needs work with the hit boxes, has a needlessly uncomfortable control scheme, has uninspired enemy designs...

Basically, after nearly coming around... I've slid right back into the camp of "I will never buy this in a million years". I don't even care about what they did with the story... I can skip over that. The downgrade to the combat? Yeah, I'll wait for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Bayonetta 2.

So it's been real on this board. Hell, I've even enjoyed humoring the trolls since they try just so damn hard. But I just can't support this direction Capcom and Ninja Theory have taken. So...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls0e5g1oWn1qjkv09o1_500.gif

i have to agree with u on the fact that i was on the fence of buying this game when i started to play the demo....when i finished the demo i felt less than enthusiastic to buy so i decided to buy used....but after i went back and played the hd collection and dmc4, i decided to rent it....
#8darkslayer001Posted 12/8/2012 11:27:11 PM
i dont know much about graphics but to those who think DmC has gud graphics dont get fooled by the vibrant colors which is part of the art direction and not of the graphics upgrade.
DMC4 cutscences and gameplay is really sharp and smooth compared to DmC...i am still surprised that DMC4 came back in 2008 when i see the graphics...
#9LordChewbaccaPosted 12/9/2012 3:39:48 PM
Well the unreal engine tends to be good even on a bad port, all depends on your pc. Gears of war one on pc was considered a horrendous port but i could play it with max anti aliasing and constant 60fps. The engine was just made to be great on pc regardless.

I also find when people say bad port they just mean they can't max it out and play it at 60fps/1080p which is pretty hard regardless of the optimization and the game still looks good without being maxed. For example Assassin creed 3 on pc is a bad port but it looks a hell of a lot better than it does on console and plays at a much smoother fps.
#10Pesmerga255Posted 12/9/2012 3:41:34 PM
It might end up like the PC version of Darksiders 2.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!