Why do people really "hate" this Dante?

#11Shopaholic163(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2012 7:15:10 PM
Raycon posted...
Shopaholic163 posted...

Is it just the... hair? Because that's a bit trivial, don't you think?

Just a word of advice, try not to trivialize the criticisms of this Donte down to "just the hair." Every reviewer/journalist has tried it as an attempt to marginalize otherwise legitimate complaints and all it does is put words in our mouths and rile fans up.

I know you're not looking to stir up trouble, but the way you worded your post comes off as very provocative to long-time fans of the series who have real problems with the direction of this game.

Very true. In that case, I will apologize to those that were offended.

That said, it does seem like a lot of the hate does stem from Dante's appearances, though. I've seen some complaints about game play, but the majority is either about his hair, new "emo" attitude (what does that even mean?), etc.
---
Anticipating: Tomb Raider
#12RayconPosted 12/16/2012 7:25:19 PM
The aesthetic complains are there, as is expected any time a beloved character undergoes a radical redesign like this one did.

Personally? It feels like Dante has been "poochie-fied." Capcom/NT looked at the current market, saw the Twilight craze and tried to cash in on it with a facelift that looks far too... pretty? Not to mention creepy in the right light (someone cue the creepy Donte pic here). They tried to make his look/persona darker to match the current trends, and as a result he feels kind of cheapened as a character, as though he sold out to what was popular instead of staying true to what we enjoyed about him.

And then there's his personality, the part that irks me the most. He's a straight up douche-bag. Swears excessively (and with no meaningful purpose belying it), and behaves immaturely (dickishly knocking a drink out of one guy's hand, punching a bouncer in the face before cheekily writing "**** you" on the clipboard with the list of names). He just feels utterly unlikeable as a character.
---
"Clue in, girl! Get in that trap room and grab that battery while I, a bad-ass convict, play this beautiful piano melody."-MorphineChild on REŘ
#13Project5BossPosted 12/16/2012 7:33:10 PM
Raycon posted...
The aesthetic complains are there, as is expected any time a beloved character undergoes a radical redesign like this one did.

Personally? It feels like Dante has been "poochie-fied." Capcom/NT looked at the current market, saw the Twilight craze and tried to cash in on it with a facelift that looks far too... pretty? Not to mention creepy in the right light (someone cue the creepy Donte pic here). They tried to make his look/persona darker to match the current trends, and as a result he feels kind of cheapened as a character, as though he sold out to what was popular instead of staying true to what we enjoyed about him.

And then there's his personality, the part that irks me the most. He's a straight up douche-bag. Swears excessively (and with no meaningful purpose belying it), and behaves immaturely (dickishly knocking a drink out of one guy's hand, punching a bouncer in the face before cheekily writing "**** you" on the clipboard with the list of names). He just feels utterly unlikeable as a character.

You think he's pretty? If anything old Dante and Vergil are the pretty ones, the new versions look hideous. They've got this dorky, goofy facial structure.
#14antking61Posted 12/16/2012 7:34:08 PM
How many times must we answer these same, tired questions?
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#15Shopaholic163(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2012 7:35:11 PM
antking61 posted...
How many times must we answer these same, tired questions?

Sorry. I'm new here. I didn't think this was asked already; I didn't bother to scroll past the older threads.
---
#16Dark_EpathyPosted 12/16/2012 7:36:28 PM
Many feel that this Dante is replacing the original Dante. They seem him as a bastardization when he's really just a different iteration.

On top of this, interviews and trailers have revealed that he is deliberately off-putting and belligerent in the beginning of the game in the interest of setting up a character arc in which he matures and becomes a hero--much like what happens to the original Dante in DMC3.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#17sillycatstevenPosted 12/16/2012 7:39:06 PM
i'd already mentioned this in another similar topic. i suspect that most people hating Dante for aesthetic reasons such as hair color and the "emo" attitude (whatever that means) have converted to pros. this is because despite NT's other failing, they did a really good job in the aesthetic aspects of the game. the world looks great, the characters looks cute when they should, and ugly when they should and most importantly, there's that Twilight vibe oozing from every aspect of this game, just with more swearing.
many people hate the new Dante is because they have something to compare him to. NT has essentially replaced Japanese anime-styled main character with a 15 year old loud mouth ***. yes he may change during the game, but at the moment, it doesn't seem he get that much better. maybe from a 15 year old punk to a 14 year old love sick puppy. (no... i didn't make a typo. the decrease in age is intentional.)
---
PSN: SillyCat659221 Add Me, i'm in NZ
Go now, if you want it / Another world awaits you.
#18RayconPosted 12/16/2012 7:42:53 PM
Project5Boss posted...

You think he's pretty? If anything old Dante and Vergil are the pretty ones, the new versions look hideous. They've got this dorky, goofy facial structure.

Maybe pretty isn't the right word... There's just something flashy about him that makes me feel like they aimed to make him very attractive toward a certain demographic.

In any case, I agree about old Dante and Vergil. They weren't exactly "prettyboy" good-looking, but they were definitely good-looking men.
---
"Clue in, girl! Get in that trap room and grab that battery while I, a bad-ass convict, play this beautiful piano melody."-MorphineChild on REŘ
#19Shopaholic163(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2012 7:45:28 PM
Raycon posted...

I can only empathize with you to an extent, as I do not know how past iterations of Dante behaved and whatnot. But I can see why you would be hesitant to embrace this rebooted version; the portion that I quoted from you does seem like a valid complaint. Conformity does tend to degrade certain things in that the identity that made said things unique is diminished. I've seen it in my favorite novels, t.v. shows, etc.
---
#20ZeroX91Posted 12/16/2012 7:47:40 PM
I wouldn't say "emo" attitude, he is just an unlikeable ass. He reminds me of the "situation" off Jersey Shores.
---
Official Pyro Jack of the SMT IV board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypl2VWvjdn4&NR=1