Why do people really "hate" this Dante?

#21RayconPosted 12/16/2012 8:50:18 PM
Shopaholic163 posted...
Raycon posted...
Personally? It feels like Dante has been "poochie-fied." Capcom/NT looked at the current market, saw the Twilight craze and tried to cash in on it with a facelift that looks far too... pretty? Not to mention creepy in the right light (someone cue the creepy Donte pic here). They tried to make his look/persona darker to match the current trends, and as a result he feels kind of cheapened as a character, as though he sold out to what was popular instead of staying true to what we enjoyed about him.

I can only empathize with you to an extent, as I do not know how past iterations of Dante behaved and whatnot. But I can see why you would be hesitant to embrace this rebooted version; the portion that I quoted from you does seem like a valid complaint. Conformity does tend to degrade certain things in that the identity that made said things unique is diminished. I've seen it in my favorite novels, t.v. shows, etc.

Yeah, I'm sure it's hard to appreciate some of the criticisms when you have no frame of reference to draw from (as many complaints deal with the drastic changes relative to the original). But the biggest issue for me (his unlikeable personality) is probably something you can grasp without having to understand the past iteration of Dante.

Unless douchey wanna-be tough guys are your thing. >_>
---
"Clue in, girl! Get in that trap room and grab that battery while I, a bad-ass convict, play this beautiful piano melody."-MorphineChild on REΨ
#22Project5BossPosted 12/16/2012 8:52:25 PM
Raycon posted...
Project5Boss posted...

You think he's pretty? If anything old Dante and Vergil are the pretty ones, the new versions look hideous. They've got this dorky, goofy facial structure.

Maybe pretty isn't the right word... There's just something flashy about him that makes me feel like they aimed to make him very attractive toward a certain demographic.

In any case, I agree about old Dante and Vergil. They weren't exactly "prettyboy" good-looking, but they were definitely good-looking men.

Well old Dante and Verg didn't look like girls but they had movie star/model good looks. They were imo the pinnacle of white male beauty(facially).

I'm not sure who this new Dante is supposed to appeal to. Urban youths?
#23ZeroX91Posted 12/16/2012 8:55:42 PM
Project5Boss posted...
Raycon posted...
Project5Boss posted...

You think he's pretty? If anything old Dante and Vergil are the pretty ones, the new versions look hideous. They've got this dorky, goofy facial structure.

Maybe pretty isn't the right word... There's just something flashy about him that makes me feel like they aimed to make him very attractive toward a certain demographic.

In any case, I agree about old Dante and Vergil. They weren't exactly "prettyboy" good-looking, but they were definitely good-looking men.

Well old Dante and Verg didn't look like girls but they had movie star/model good looks. They were imo the pinnacle of white male beauty(facially).

Angsty, world-weary teens, and the douchey "gansta" types I believe.
---
Official Pyro Jack of the SMT IV board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypl2VWvjdn4&NR=1
#24RayconPosted 12/16/2012 8:56:48 PM
Project5Boss posted...
Raycon posted...
Project5Boss posted...

Eh, maybe. The most recent DMC in memory was 3, and I didn't think he was anything special (face-wise). >_>
---
"Clue in, girl! Get in that trap room and grab that battery while I, a bad-ass convict, play this beautiful piano melody."-MorphineChild on REΨ
#25lokithefoolPosted 12/16/2012 8:59:04 PM
Shopaholic163 posted...
As someone who has no prior knowledge of the devil may cry series, and who had absolutely no interest in the game whatsoever up until I tried the new demo, I'm really just curious: what is it about this Dante that is so horrid?

Is it just the... hair? Because that's a bit trivial, don't you think?

Is it the new attitude? Apparently -- from the very little I skimmed here -- he's much more juvenile now?

Is it just the fact that this is a reboot and people are scared of change?

Or is it just sheep mentality, in that people are banding together to hate on an unreleased game just because they can?

Translation

Hey here is(insert generic trolling attempt) how do you guys feel about that? DERP.

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\
#26Shopaholic163(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2012 9:00:09 PM
Bad boys? I don't think I'll ever comprehend the appeal of them. All I can say is been there and done that.

Anyways, I'll probably still pick up the game, or, at least when it gets cheap. Beat-em-ups are strangely appealing.
---
Anticipating: Tomb Raider
#27Shopaholic163(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2012 9:01:42 PM
How about the rest of you? Even those of you that are in opposition of the new direction: are you going to pick up the game at some point?
---
Anticipating: Tomb Raider
#28Project5BossPosted 12/16/2012 9:02:15 PM

I don't think a hack n' slash is the preferred gaming ganre of these types.

Eh, maybe. The most recent DMC in memory was 3, and I didn't think he was anything special (face-wise). >_>

IMO 1-3 make this most apparent facially. In 4 he has a more rugged handsomeness.
#29ZeroX91Posted 12/16/2012 9:07:31 PM
Project5Boss posted...

I don't think a hack n' slash is the preferred gaming genre of these types.

So you see the problem then? lol
---
Official Pyro Jack of the SMT IV board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypl2VWvjdn4&NR=1
#30Project5BossPosted 12/16/2012 9:12:33 PM
ZeroX91 posted...
Project5Boss posted...

I don't think a hack n' slash is the preferred gaming genre of these types.

So you see the problem then? lol

Of course I do, as so often with these companies dumbing their product down in a sad attempt to grab the Smash, CoD, GoW, GTA casuals. They'll end up pushing away old fans and their product will be met with apathy from the casual base.