A DmC Hands-on Review Magazine. New Fans and Old Should Read!

#51LordMePosted 12/20/2012 8:51:41 PM
Abiz_ posted...
Why are the physics so bad in DmC then?

DMC4 physics are aren't any better. You may not like DmC, but you seem to just to say things to make sure everyone knows you hate this game.

The article was a enjoyable read. Very much looking forward to playing it at 60 fps on my pc.

He is talking about the enemies and characters seemingly floating while airborne, which makes never touching the ground insanely easy.
#52Pesmerga255Posted 12/20/2012 8:52:29 PM

The article was a enjoyable read. Very much looking forward to playing it at 60 fps on my pc.

Surely you mean watching it at 60 fps on your PC, it'll still play like it was designed for 30.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#53DethaPosted 12/20/2012 8:58:25 PM(edited)
UE3 is a very versatile engine, but almost always 30fps. That's industry standard though.
---
i3 2130 @ 3.4 GHz | Team Xtreme 8gb @ 1600 MHz | GTX 460 (768mb) @ 855 MHz / 2000 MHz
#54HellFire-BahamuPosted 12/20/2012 8:58:31 PM
Pesmerga255 posted...
HellFire-Bahamu posted...
Pesmerga255 posted...
Everything in DmC feels too floaty. Everything just doesn't behave the way it should in the air.

I feel like I brought this up before, but you know little to nothing about engines I'm assuming, correct? Not even trying to hate. You just never make good arguments when it comes to justifying why an engine is bad and you don't seem to know how they work it seems.
Again, not hatin'. I can't expect everyone to know (Game design is half the reason I'm in school. I'm not the best programmer in the world, but anyone with a background with atleast a AAA game engine should be able to size up another engine without much problem)

I don't have any personal experience working with game engines, but I know quite a lot about computer architecture. I'm more of a hardware guy myself. Do you have any experience working with MT framework?

Don't work for Capcom :/
I do, however, have personal experience with UE3, Unity, and Havok.
Doesn't take long to notice what's in-game rendering and what's simply cosmetic.
Japanese developers do a lot of cosmetic work to make it appear that something is realistic (not trying to diss them. Simply different engine focuses by region really), while western developers are considerably more concerned about having an engine replicate realism through physics. UE3 is actually one of the leads when it comes to game physics and excluding the weird ragdoll physics that's used sometimes, it's a very beefy engine.
When it comes to scale, there's a noticeable difference between MT Framework and UE3.
I'm sure you've played more UE3 games than MT, but if you notice, UE3 can render larger environments and is less "room" based. MT Framework, while having great lighting and graphics, tends to have very linear and tight environments to maintain that look.
There's a considerable amount of static environments, scripted animations (animations not a direct cause of simulated wind or character interaction. Generally just a basic animation that can be easily overlooked), and really, little to no real time rendering other than lighting and NPC/Player characters (minor exaggeration).
However, lack of physics pretty much gives way to higher framerates, so thus, OG DMC4 had great 60fps, cause there wasn't much going on in the game itself other the NPCs and Nero. The most physics you will experience in DMC4 (and ultimately, most MT Framework games really) are the minor wind effects. Otherwise, it's just a very pretty version of an engine of last gen.
Unreal is the Adept Rogue of game engines, other than possibly Unity. While I honestly don't even like Epic Games (I loathe Cliffy B. He's not even a part of the company, but I can't stand him. Unfortunately, he's pretty good at what he does though :/ Gotta give him credit), the engine is probably one of the most realistic engines out there when left unmodified. Honestly, check out some tech demos. You will be wowed.

TEXT BRICK!
---
PSN: AlastorNEGATIVE
#55HellFire-BahamuPosted 12/20/2012 9:03:08 PM
RichterB17 posted...
Pesmerga255 posted...
Everything in DmC feels too floaty. Everything just doesn't behave the way it should in the air.

I feel like I brought this up before, but you know little to nothing about engines I'm assuming, correct? Not even trying to hate. You just never make good arguments when it comes to justifying why an engine is bad and you don't seem to know how they work it seems.
Again, not hatin'. I can't expect everyone to know (Game design is half the reason I'm in school. I'm not the best programmer in the world, but anyone with a background with atleast a AAA game engine should be able to size up another engine without much problem)

Even so, he is still right. In DMC4 everything felt the way it should with how enemies are thrown in the air without feeling floaty. In DMC4 the enemies actually descend down as they should where as this game you throw them in the air and they actually stay in the air for quite a bit of time. It's weird and I'm not sure if this a UE problem or not but it was perfect in DMC4.

I'm not going to say UE is a bad engine though, but what I will say is that the constant texture loading problem I've seen in many UE games is really bad, and I personally don't like the look of it.

That's understandable.
However, the floaty situation is not the engines fault. It's intentional, but it's very dependent on certain moves too. If you miss time it, they'll just fall at a regular speed.
I think it's part of the "30 feels like 60" shtick. Otherwise, they'd fall to the ground too fast.
Honestly, the problem has gotten to be the hardware, not necessarily the engine.
The engine continues to advance, but consoles don't.
It really sucks, but if you're a PC gamer, you really get to see UE3 shine, while MT just kind of stays the same even with all the extra processing power :/
---
#56HellFire-BahamuPosted 12/20/2012 9:08:59 PM
Detha posted...
UE3 is a very versatile engine, but almost always 30fps. That's industry standard though.

If you notice, most western games run at 30fps unless made on an company specific engine and even then, it tends to be a 50/50 situation. Games with very extensive engines will almost always run at 30fps on consoles.
However, a good number of japanese games run at 60fps. Almost all of these games have very basic physics engines, "room" based environments (probably a bad word to describe it. If you've played a Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, or a Resident Evil game after 3, you know what I'm talking about), and obscenely static environments. However, great graphics.
---
#57DethaPosted 12/20/2012 9:18:37 PM(edited)
Eh, not really this gen.

Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Resident Evil, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Final Fantasy, various J-RPGs: all 30 or around.

Aside from SF and DMC, I can't think of many Eastern games that try to hit that 60fps mark. MGS4 barely hits 60 when standing still sometimes.

RE4 wasn't even 60fps, so I don't quite know what you mean with the RE thing.

MT Framework was Capcom's golden engine, meant to play at 30, but look like 60 on consoles, with its special motion blur. It was however able to pull out 60fps when DMC4 came along.
---
i3 2130 @ 3.4 GHz | Team Xtreme 8gb @ 1600 MHz | GTX 460 (768mb) @ 855 MHz / 2000 MHz
#58BaulModeusPosted 12/20/2012 9:16:10 PM
Good article, happy to see that the people who actually got their hands on a sizable chunk of the game enjoyed it so much.

http://tinyurl.com/ckljclq
#59HellFire-BahamuPosted 12/20/2012 9:18:20 PM
BaulModeus posted...
Good article, happy to see that the people who actually got their hands on a sizable chunk of the game enjoyed it so much.

I was looking at that earlier.
Dude looks sick.
---
#60BaulModeusPosted 12/20/2012 9:23:27 PM
BaulModeus posted...

I was looking at that earlier.
Dude looks sick.

Drekavac looks creepy and like a challenge judging from the description. Cant wait!