A DmC Hands-on Review Magazine. New Fans and Old Should Read!

#71rice_noodlesPosted 12/20/2012 10:54:39 PM
Show of hands.

Who thinks the red and blue enemies are "subtly-coloured"?
#72LordMePosted 12/20/2012 10:59:47 PM
rice_noodles posted...
Show of hands.

Who thinks the red and blue enemies are "subtly-coloured"?

Yeah, that was kind of stupid of them to say that...

Also, Dante's Devil Trigger is just gonna change his coats color by mission 10? Talk about not having foresight...
#73RichterB17Posted 12/20/2012 11:14:57 PM
m100t8s posted...
LMFAO xD
Reading antis reactions about this Hands-on xD

This.. would be even funnier when IGN and GameSpot review comes out!!
Even with the fact IGN sucks and so GameSpot sometimes, However those two sites are the most famous gaming reviews sites. So if they gave DmC a really good review, It will increase DmC sales more than Capcom expected. And new fans will come.

So have fun antis watching DmC success.

Cause that worked for Enslaved.... oh wait.
---
"The shadows betray you because they belong to me!" - Bane
#74Psychochild27Posted 12/20/2012 11:17:18 PM(edited)
HellFire-Bahamu posted...
RichterB17 posted...
HellFire-Bahamu posted...
Pesmerga255 posted...
Everything in DmC feels too floaty. Everything just doesn't behave the way it should in the air.

I feel like I brought this up before, but you know little to nothing about engines I'm assuming, correct? Not even trying to hate. You just never make good arguments when it comes to justifying why an engine is bad and you don't seem to know how they work it seems.
Again, not hatin'. I can't expect everyone to know (Game design is half the reason I'm in school. I'm not the best programmer in the world, but anyone with a background with atleast a AAA game engine should be able to size up another engine without much problem)

Even so, he is still right. In DMC4 everything felt the way it should with how enemies are thrown in the air without feeling floaty. In DMC4 the enemies actually descend down as they should where as this game you throw them in the air and they actually stay in the air for quite a bit of time. It's weird and I'm not sure if this a UE problem or not but it was perfect in DMC4.

I'm not going to say UE is a bad engine though, but what I will say is that the constant texture loading problem I've seen in many UE games is really bad, and I personally don't like the look of it.

That's understandable.
However, the floaty situation is not the engines fault. It's intentional, but it's very dependent on certain moves too. If you miss time it, they'll just fall at a regular speed.
I think it's part of the "30 feels like 60" shtick. Otherwise, they'd fall to the ground too fast.

It's not just the rate at which enemies fall from juggles (Or how Dante oddly gets slower in the air when he hits terminal velocity for that matter). DmC also fails to carry over horizontal aerial momentum that certain moves would give Nero and Dante in DMC4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JZSTJekI3E

This gave some moves with odd firing spreads such as Rain Storm much greater utility in combos, it could be used to create interesting cross-ups on larger targets, it could be used as a defensive tool to push Nero or Dante out of range of an aerial enemy attack or as a zoning tool to position Dante for a rose toss or an Overdrive, it could be used to transition to another enemy and (Though unintended), it did create some fantastic effects when used with Royal Guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHY4X7g2yRs

It's a shame it's gone in DmC, as it was one of DMC4's best, most subtle additions.
#75BillysanPosted 12/20/2012 11:52:11 PM
Can't believe they felt like they had to explain the white hair. At this moment this just screams cheap character development...
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 360 Live: Billy Saltzman
#76m100t8sPosted 12/20/2012 11:58:18 PM
Billysan posted...
Can't believe they felt like they had to explain the white hair. At this moment this just screams cheap character development...

I have to agree about this. The point of DmC is pretty stupid if you ask me.
Did anyone really asked himself "Why Dante's hair is white?" Thats pretty stupid.
We needed just an explanation for Nero in a title called "Devil May Cry: Nero's Awakening" or something like that. And after that we get DMC5 with Dante.

The idea of DmC even if it was a prequel is pointless to be honest. We never needed or asked for an explanation for the damn hair.
#77DethaPosted 12/21/2012 12:05:31 AM(edited)
I think the point was to reach a larger audience, so they toned down his appearance. Looking at the older games, a lot of people may just look at the box and be like "WHAT THE-- WHITE HAIR'RE. Who dis freak?"

Games are in a new age of social relevance, so games attempt to be as accessible as possible. Quirky animoo characters and obscure images won't cut into that pie like other approaches. The niche audience is always there, but they're attempting to expand beyond that. Kev Levine of Bioshock Infinite had something to say about that recently.

I think they wanted to tell a transformation/coming of age story (natural of a reboot), and the white hair is just an emergent property of that and a talking point among fans.

You're not going to see on the back of the box a bullet point:

See how Dino gets his white hair.
---
i3 2130 @ 3.4 GHz | Team Xtreme 8gb @ 1600 MHz | GTX 460 (768mb) @ 855 MHz / 2000 MHz
#78BillysanPosted 12/21/2012 12:13:18 AM
Tameem Antoniades said that he felt like the white needed a explanation or whatever.

Personally sounds like a cheap way to show character growth.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 360 Live: Billy Saltzman
#79_Uwye_Posted 12/21/2012 5:11:06 AM
Detha posted...
Eh, not really this gen.

Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Resident Evil, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Final Fantasy, various J-RPGs: all 30 or around.

Bayonetta is (mostrly) 60fps on X360.

Aside from SF and DMC, I can't think of many Eastern games that try to hit that 60fps mark. MGS4 barely hits 60 when standing still sometimes.

God of War (well, it tries), Dante's Inferno, Burnout Paradise, CoD, Rage, Driver: SF, Forza 4, various sport titles, off the top of my head.
#80HellFire-BahamuPosted 12/21/2012 6:40:59 AM
_Uwye_ posted...
Detha posted...
Eh, not really this gen.

Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Resident Evil, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Final Fantasy, various J-RPGs: all 30 or around.

Bayonetta is (mostrly) 60fps on X360.

Aside from SF and DMC, I can't think of many Eastern games that try to hit that 60fps mark. MGS4 barely hits 60 when standing still sometimes.

God of War (well, it tries), Dante's Inferno, Burnout Paradise, CoD, Rage, Driver: SF, Forza 4, various sport titles, off the top of my head.

Key word here is "Eastern".
We were talking about eastern games reaching 60fps.
---
PSN: AlastorNEGATIVE