Raising the style meter quickly: did you all forget about DMC3?

#11XDecimoXPosted 12/22/2012 12:29:21 AM(edited)
I'm surprised no one is bringing up how getting hit affected the style meter. In DmC, it knocks you down two ranks I believe, but in all previous DMCs, you had to start all over if you got hit.
---
PSN - NeroTheDB
#12Psychochild27Posted 12/22/2012 1:22:14 AM
Pesmerga255 posted...
You can easily get an SSS ranking in the Poison fight using only Arbiter's basic combo and making sure you wait a couple of seconds between uses.

The bigger problem is that Arbiter Dodge'd Arbiter Combos is the single most profitable method of getting style points, and I'm not talking just meter gain. Against Poison, there's an 8,000 point or so difference in favor of Demon Dodge Arbiter spam on top of getting you to SSS in a single crumple attempt instead of the alleged high risk/high "Reward" parry method after taking off one of her bars.

Spamming Distorted Real Impacts in DMC4 to a similar effect like you do Arbiter Dodge spam meanwhile may look impressive because they make the style meter jump up when you do it from nothing to C-ish or so against Scarecrows (Bigger enemies are a bit easier to squeeze more ranks, but they also have more HP in general making more style ranks easier to earn legitimately), but you're typically not going to come out ahead on style points or meter than fighting them normally if you're any good.
#13AlexxShadenk777(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2012 1:23:49 AM
Billysan posted...
No it always goes down and the higher you went the faster it fell.

Yes, the meter itself does go down, but the rank does not actually drop below S unless you get hit.

StriderOW posted...
Look how you are gaining your style meter in DMC3... You are hitting a big amount of enemies at the same time with jam session. When you hit a big amount of enemies then you style meter will raise VERY fast... Also you are parrying a lot of attacks with it as well which causes the same effects. Of course there are ways to raise the meter easily but these are setups/exploits. You can't really compare that to the way you can raise it in this new game.

I actually can. Using Jam Session is technically easier since you don't even need a setup for it, all you need to do is stand near enemies.
Also, DTE. Did I mention it yet? All you need to do is hold down L1 till the entire DT gauge is charged and then let go and not only it does a fairly large amount of damage, it raises the meter from 0 to SSS instantly even on a single enemy. Again, it's vastly easier, and filling up DT in DMC3 takes far less time, especially if you have Trickster or Royalguard.

XDecimoX posted...
I'm surprised no one is bringing up how getting hit affected the style meter. In DmC, it knocks you down two ranks I believe, but in all previous DMCs, you had to start all over if you got hit.

Actually it drops like 4-5 ranks.
---
PSN: AlexxShadenk777
#14geneocidePosted 12/22/2012 1:31:50 AM
AlexxShadenk777 posted...

StriderOW posted...
Look how you are gaining your style meter in DMC3... You are hitting a big amount of enemies at the same time with jam session. When you hit a big amount of enemies then you style meter will raise VERY fast... Also you are parrying a lot of attacks with it as well which causes the same effects. Of course there are ways to raise the meter easily but these are setups/exploits. You can't really compare that to the way you can raise it in this new game.

I actually can. Using Jam Session is technically easier since you don't even need a setup for it, all you need to do is stand near enemies.
Also, DTE. Did I mention it yet? All you need to do is hold down L1 till the entire DT gauge is charged and then let go and not only it does a fairly large amount of damage, it raises the meter from 0 to SSS instantly even on a single enemy. Again, it's vastly easier, and filling up DT in DMC3 takes far less time, especially if you have Trickster or Royalguard.

Another thing you may wish to consider is that the enemies are way more offensive in DMC3. And this method would get you killed on a boss.
---
*Hops on Sony Pony.* Onward my loyal legion of Nintendrones and Xbots!
Ahh! My ding ding dong!
#15XDecimoXPosted 12/22/2012 1:40:22 AM(edited)

If you're talking about DmC, you're either completely wrong, or it's based on damage, 'cause I just tested it, and it went from S to B. Two ranks.

Edit: Tested it on Poison just now. Only two ranks down still.

If you're talking about DMC, the last time I played the DMC4 demo, getting hit sent you from SSS to D.
---
PSN - NeroTheDB
#16Psychochild27Posted 12/22/2012 1:44:04 AM
XDecimoX posted...

If you're talking about DmC, you're either completely wrong, or it's based on damage, 'cause I just tested it, and it went from S to B. Two ranks.

If you're talking about DMC, the last time I played the DMC4 demo, getting hit sent you from SSS to D.

Play it again, because you're mistaken here. Each hit takes you down two ranks in DMC4, the jump from SSS to D was because Scarecrows have multiple attacks that hit you twice.
#17KyryloPosted 12/22/2012 1:44:35 AM
I'm kinda late to putting this up but really, it bothers me that some antis will use the argument that you can raise the meter up to SSS with just 3 attacks somehow makes it a worse game.

Did anyone else even play DMC3? You can do the same thing with just one: Jam Session. And you don't even need to time a "Perfect Evade" beforehand.
I was also going to include Crazy Roll, though it only reached SS when I recorded it, you'd only need to taunt once beforehand or catch one more enemy with it (I hit 3), but made it a point to include blocking Enigma arrows with Combo 2, which is also a perfect way to crank up the Style meter. And if you can't tell, Turbo mode is off for the sake of completion.

And also, I think everyone should remember Vergil's ability to spam Roundtrip, Judgement Cut and/or spam ground combos whilst spraying Summoned Swords. The poor meter doesn't even have a prayer to hope to ever lower even one rank ever again. And also full DTE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=6z0fux1mXvk

My advice? If you're going to bring up negative aspects about the gameplay in DmC, say something actually substancial. Which you actually can't, since the gameplay not only is as fluid and cancel-happy as DMC3, if not more, it makes DMC4 cry in the corner, which has such brilliant uncancellable and sluggish, watered down, incredibly nerfed moves like Fireworks, Air Fireworks, Gunstinger, Gilgamesh multikicks, the last kick of Combo A, can't jump/dash etc. while charging punches/kicks, can't do Rising Dragon without charging Beast Uppercut a whole level, Shocking!, Kick13, DT'd Kick13, Argument, Revenge, Grief, OMEN, and of course, the two Slash Dimensions.

Point isn't valid, in dmc you gett SSS with single hit of arbiter. Fail.
#18ZhaneBXPosted 12/22/2012 1:49:58 AM
Isn't there a video from the Poison fight were he got SSS rank with a single attack spammed over and over ? Very stylish... yeah, how that reminded me of Jam Session!
#19XDecimoXPosted 12/22/2012 1:50:27 AM
Psychochild27 posted...
Play it again, because you're mistaken here. Each hit takes you down two ranks in DMC4, the jump from SSS to D was because Scarecrows have multiple attacks that hit you twice.

Guess you're right on that part. Considering S-SSS are on the same meter in that game, Getting hit sends you from SSS to B, which my memory must have mistaken for a D. My bad.
---
PSN - NeroTheDB
#20Psychochild27Posted 12/22/2012 1:58:51 AM(edited)
XDecimoX posted...
Psychochild27 posted...

Guess you're right on that part. Considering S-SSS are on the same meter in that game, Getting hit sends you from SSS to B, which my memory must have mistaken for a D. My bad.

Nah. Odds are it was either the pirouette kick or the big two swing attack they have - Each hit will knock you down two ranks. You get hit by one, odds are you're eating the other so you end up going from S to B to D. Also:

Actually, it's weird in that it'll drop you from SSS to B or S to B. If you're in the S-rank echelon, it drops your ass to B because I dunno, DMC4 did it?

/never say I'm not fair on this game when it comes to discussing mechanics.