So why did they reboot the series? did dmc4 really do that bad?

#1dexalotPosted 12/23/2012 8:02:41 AM
I loved the game back when it came out, and i dont remember many complaints about it, while im still excited the game it just makes me ponder why they decided it needed a reboot rather than a proper sequel
#2antking61Posted 12/23/2012 8:04:53 AM
DMC4 sold the most in the franchise by double and was well received as a whole. The only real issues were lazy levels for Dante and the lack of Crazy Combos.
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#3DethaPosted 12/23/2012 8:05:51 AM(edited)
DMC4 sold over 2 million.

I think Itsuno just wanted to make something else, like Dragon's Dogma. They probably thought they could do better than 2 million if they went in a more westernized direction.
---
i3 2130 @ 3.4 GHz | Team Xtreme 8gb @ 1600 MHz | GTX 460 (768mb) @ 855 MHz / 2000 MHz
#4DuuuDe14Posted 12/23/2012 8:08:57 AM
Money
---
The Official Sons of Sparda of all GameFaqs boards.
I shall forever be sitting in Dante's chair. Till the day he returns to us.
#5TheDromaderPosted 12/23/2012 8:11:09 AM
DuuuDe14 posted...
Money

This basicly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrYnZ7ZxRe4
#6GoldsicklePosted 12/23/2012 8:24:46 AM
- There was this whole "increase output via outsourcing" thing going on with Capcom.

- When Ninja Theory was asked to make a DMC game, they couldn't decide whether they wanted to make a sequel, prequel, spin-off, remake or reboot. They eventually settled with reboot/retelling, much like how Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a retelling of the first Silent Hill.

- Dante looks so different because Capcom rejected an earlier design by Ninja Theory that supposedly looks "too similar" to the original Dante.
Capcom says "if we wanted the same Dante, we would make the game ourselves".
So that's how you get black-haired, punk Dante.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#7dexalot(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2012 8:25:07 AM
Well with that logic a real sequal would have made even more money if dmc4 made the most money in the franchise, now we have tons of angry fans because of the change
#8wwinterj25Posted 12/23/2012 8:32:00 AM
dexalot posted...
Well with that logic a real sequal would have made even more money if dmc4 made the most money in the franchise, now we have tons of angry fans because of the change

This is the thing. Capcam wanted to change Dante to appeal to a bigger audience. Ninja Theory wanted to reboot the story to appeal to a bigger audience. By doing this they have turned there back on the fanbase of the game. Neither methods appeal to a bigger audience and quite a few of the original fans won't buy the game period so what I'm saying is Capcom have screwed themselves over by been greedy and will loose a lot of sales.

IF this does happen then I hope they go and make Devil May Cry 5. I don't mind DmC but it's sad that I may never see another Devil May Cry game again. The story, characters and gameplay had so much potential just for it to be thrown down the drain.
---
One who knows nothing can understand nothing - GamerTag: wwinterj/PSN wwinterj
#9SilentS89Posted 12/23/2012 9:00:48 AM
Goldsickle posted...
- There was this whole "increase output via outsourcing" thing going on with Capcom.

Aka, quantity over quality.