Question about Ninja Theory.

#1Mystery_MissionPosted 12/30/2012 8:22:26 PM
How did they become known for their "great storytelling"? I haven't played Heavenly Sword but I have played Enslaved, and the story for that was pretty awful.
#2LordMePosted 12/30/2012 8:24:09 PM(edited)
The hired other writers for their previous games.

EDIT: Never played Enslaved, but HS had a good story.
#3Pesmerga255Posted 12/30/2012 8:28:28 PM
HS and Enslaved both had terrible stories.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#4Dark_EpathyPosted 12/30/2012 8:29:02 PM
and the story for that was pretty awful.

I'll give you it wasn't groundbreaking, but awful? Why do you say that?
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#5DarkSymbiotePosted 12/30/2012 8:30:10 PM
Some people heard that it was great... it was actually poor.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#6ChickenfrogmanPosted 12/30/2012 8:31:23 PM
Characterization was incredibly inconsistent and wild, ending was atrocious, story was incredibly all over the place
---
Renekton would make a terrible lifeguard. He'd just laugh at you as you drown and die and then probably eat your corpse.
PSN: RevolverChicken7
#7fioriPosted 12/30/2012 8:39:48 PM
Mystery_Mission posted...
How did they become known for their "great storytelling"? I haven't played Heavenly Sword but I have played Enslaved, and the story for that was pretty awful.

I think the previews say that NT games were known for their "storytelling", and not NT itself.

I also played Enslaved and I have to admit that it was a weak game. Not a bad one, but weak for a PS3.
#8Supreme121Posted 12/30/2012 8:42:34 PM
Truth be told. Nobody that worked within NT had a hand in writing their previous games (finalized versions of them at least). Everything down to the story and character dialogue were written by outside help. Hell, one of the writers for Enslaved said the previous script, written by Tameem himself, was god awful. And one of the many things she disliked was the main character, Monkey, kicking a helpless slave off a the ship to his death, just for the sake of showing how much of a "badass" he can be...
#9DarkSymbiotePosted 12/30/2012 8:46:19 PM
Supreme121 posted...
Truth be told. Nobody that worked within NT had a hand in writing their previous games (finalized versions of them at least). Everything down to the story and character dialogue were written by outside help. Hell, one of the writers for Enslaved said the previous script, written by Tameem himself, was god awful. And one of the many things she disliked was the main character, Monkey, kicking a helpless slave off a the ship to his death, just for the sake of showing how much of a "badass" he can be...

>_>
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#10Dark_EpathyPosted 12/30/2012 8:53:32 PM
Characterization was incredibly inconsistent and wild, ending was atrocious, story was incredibly all over the place

I guess I can see where you mean the characterization was inconsistent. But Trip, well--she was motivated by vengeance. She enslaved Monkey not out of spite but necessity (in her eyes, at least). She kept him enslaved to help her with her quest in the latter half of the game, and he was more willing to go along because he had begun getting attached. Not to mention he could sympathize with what happened.

Pigsy. . . yeah, I suppose. He was a comic relief character with an out-of-place fate that was tonally opposed to how he was introduced. Still, nothing to really mark against the game.

As for the ending, it was abrupt. It could have used more buildup. The whole game could have, really--some more development throughout would have been beneficial. But I think the ending was fine, content-wise, and it did bring up an interesting moral question. One may think the answer is clear-cut, but for the characters, how can it be?
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa