What's up?

#1AStrangemanPosted 12/30/2012 7:31:43 PM
I watched a ton of trailers over the months and this game just looks generally awesome.
I completed Devil May Cry 4 again recently, and I believe the series had become way too camp. The play scene, the flamenco dancing, ect. They also turned Lady beautiful when she was never meant to be.

This just looks generally fresh and artful, is there a campaign against this game or something? I can't understand why people would prefer the original direction (DMC 4) over something like a reboot. It's not like the original series paid any attention to continuity anyway since Dante's bar is renamed Devil Never Cry at the end of the first game and is totally ignored in the subsequent sequels.

So yeah what's up?
#2FireMage7777Posted 12/30/2012 7:32:40 PM
DmC sucks, that's what's up
---
It's sad that the best thing to come out of Capcom recently is a fan made game
NOTE: I don't do no damage runs. -MrStarKiller *cough casual cough*
#3antking61Posted 12/30/2012 7:33:18 PM
What's up?

Not your performance rate!
---
Hoo Haa!!! I has Signature!!!
#4Dark_EpathyPosted 12/30/2012 7:44:11 PM
People like the original direction (original as in DMC3/4, not Kamiya, for those of you particularly picky about that sort of thing). I like the original direction a lot, too--Dante's appeal was that he was so decidedly larger-than-life. The camp wasn't all it was about, either. There's a sincerity in the character that comes out, as well, a true noble, heroic streak. He was layered, despite being relatively simple.

That said, I like this new take, too. Some people see it as a bastardization, but once you disassociate the two continuities, see them side by side, you can appreciate them for what they each bring to the table.

DmC's Dante is a more authentic guy. He's not the outrageous hero that DMC's Dante is. Rather, he's a reluctant hero finding his calling. The atmosphere of DmC, too, is more grounded--not necessarily realistic, but more contemporary. So, there's that.

Many of those against this game are the ones who champion DMC's technicalities more than anything else. It's a difference of priorities, and the discontent is understandable. But a lot of the more vehement hate has little to do with the game and more to do with the company behind it: Capcom.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#5ShadowBoyZXPosted 12/30/2012 7:46:30 PM
FireMage7777 posted...

---
2012's Undisputed Badass: Scizor
#6Vault_ZeroPosted 12/30/2012 7:49:07 PM
ShadowBoyZX posted...
FireMage7777 posted...

---
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here!
#7AStrangeman(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2012 8:02:32 PM
Dark_Epathy posted...

Many of those against this game are the ones who champion DMC's technicalities more than anything else. It's a difference of priorities, and the discontent is understandable. But a lot of the more vehement hate has little to do with the game and more to do with the company behind it: Capcom.

Well sure, but isnít the reluctant anti-hero currently in? Batman, Superman are currently being championed throughout fandom because theyíre being remoulded into more realistic entities, Man of Steel. Today youíre more likely to win the book apprise for a story of a soldier shooting up a whorehouse than a glorified piece of fiction on war. Global Scepticism turns veterans into war criminals.
There wasnít much likable about Dante in DMC 3 either, at times he is actually abhorrent. But DMC3 is arguably held as the pinnacle of the series. You get me wrong if you think I was stating the campiness was the entirety of Danteís character (itís in the title, Devil may cry) I was referring to those two exact scenes only.
Iím not sure what the dispute is over Capcom, Iím a renewed newbie to videogame politics, I tried wiki and although it lists this game as a controversy there is no citation to the original article where it started. Trying to locate sense out of it would be a nightmare, even this thread is probably going to be flooded with junk. Thanks for your post, but I ainít seeing it.
#8Dark_EpathyPosted 12/30/2012 8:27:30 PM
Oh, no, don't get me wrong, either--I don't relate to a lot of hate, myself. The irony is that, yes, DMC3 Dante was very much like the Dante from this game, but people excuse it because he was "likeable" whereas this one isn't.

On top of this, many interviews with the development team have stated ad nauseum that Dante is deliberately an ass in the beginning of the game in order to establish his "hero's journey" character arc. Like DMC3 Dante, he'll grow throughout the game. This is largely ignored by those already against the character, though.

I understand first impressions are most important, too, but it's mostly overblown.

As for the grittier heroes being "in style," I'm of the camp that prefers these more grounded heroes to the larger-than-life ones. But a lot of the people hating on this new Dante don't buy into this new iteration as authentic; instead, they seem as sensationalized. They prefer the simpler charms of the original Dante, and I can understand why.

It's appearing more and more like some people just "get" this new take while others don't. There's not a whole lot you can do when you're trying to explain the character because the other side just won't see it, regardless if it's because of personal taste or bias.
---
~@_@~
#9Dark_EpathyPosted 12/30/2012 8:32:13 PM
Oh, yeah, as for the issue of Capcom.

Well, Capcom's been kind of burning bridges lately, if you will. People are mad about a lot of things: on-disc DLC, the cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3, Resident Evil 6 being further action-oriented, and then this game, a perceived downgrade meant for a wider, more casual audience.

It doesn't help that the project leads at Ninja Theory, the developer for this game, have made some comments--partially misconstrued and partially flippant, granted--that people have taken as personal insults.

So, a lot of the haters (I hate the word, no pun intended) feel like they've been dehumanized and treated like sheep by the company. For what it's worth, yes, the reboot was an attempt at more sales. But I think the overall backlash has been overblown, especially over a piece of entertainment.
---
~@_@~
#10ShadowZero007Posted 12/30/2012 8:35:01 PM
^I dont think I could have said it better myself. :)
---
In my restless dreams I see that town...