New Devil May Cry will teach casuals the "magic" of pro gaming

#1DanteAwakeninPosted 1/4/2013 8:17:54 AM
Capcom and Ninja Theory feel DmC: Devil May Cry will sate the brutality lust of series fans, while teaching newcomers a few of the high level techniques otherwise confined to certain terrifying Youtube videos.

"When I looked at videos of pro-players playing the old DMCs, they're always in the air, they're always juggling enemies around, and doing stuff that most of us look at and think 'I have no idea how that works'," combat designer Rahni Tucker told Dan Griliopoulos during a studio chat.

"We wanted to take that magic the pro-players could create and give more casual players a bit of that feeling. A bit extra hang-time, more aerial moves, the launch button is a single press without a lock-on."

Besides Dante's dependable launcher, the new DmC expands on Devil May Cry 4's grappling functionality in the form of Angel and Demonic grapples - one of which drags you after the target, the other of which drags the target to you. Given the mental wherewithal to distinguish one from the other in a blistering fight, these effectively guarantee a steady supply of combo fodder while Dante's aloft.

Game director Hideaki Itsuno of Capcom insists that this commercially necessary shift hasn't cost the game its vertiginous top layer of skill. "As the series has gone we've seen new users die out, as it took longer to get into it. When it came time to make DMC 4, with the new hero and new moves, new techniques and skills, not many new fans entered the series.

"But with this new DmC, you can take the techniques built up during the old series, and the bar to entry for new users is very low. Both old and new fans will be able to enjoy the game, and I'm very proud of them."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/48901/new-devil-may-cry-will-teach-casuals-the-magic-of-pro-gaming-entry-bar-is-very-low/

So the point of this game was to bring new players to the series?
---
This parteyh is gettin curazzeyh!!
#2hoagie727Posted 1/4/2013 8:25:26 AM
Even though I like this game I agree.

I beat DMC1, 3, and 4 on DMD but was never flashy combo guy. Just take out enemies the quickest and efficient way possible guy.

Playing the new demo I am now combo guy. Doing crazy stuff I could never dream of doing in the old games. Like taking out an entire wave of enemies without ever touching the ground.
#3DJ_0000Posted 1/4/2013 8:30:42 AM
I see what they are getting at but they really shouldn't have worded it like that, that's going to end up with them being torn a new one...again.
#4LordKaizerPosted 1/4/2013 8:39:23 AM
and pro still think this game has the same depth as the older games. the developers just said that they wanted to make the game easy to pull all these combos without actually doing much.
#5hoagie727Posted 1/4/2013 8:43:37 AM
I am a pro and I know for a fact it isn't as deep as the old games.

However I love the genre and need something new to play.

If this is a close I can get to old DMC I will take it.

MGR doesn't come out for a while and Anarchy Reigns is a beat em up, not hack and slash. Plus online looks like a cluster f***.

I have already beaten all the other good hack and slash games and am bored of them now.
#6JELIFISH19Posted 1/4/2013 8:44:47 AM
DanteAwakenin posted...
So the point of this game was to bring new players to the series?

I think the point was to try to capture the magic of DMC1. Everything about that game was top notch. The combat was actually one of that game's weak points but it didn't matter because everything else about the game made it a joy to go through. Every aspect of it was very well-designed. The presentation was it's strongest point. I feel that while the later games may have made combat deeper, they lost much of what made the original DMC so great. I feel like they went to a western developer because we were the ones who liked the game the most. America and Europe are the largest consumers of DMC. NT experienced the games as players and they were part of the group that DMC was most well-received. I think they have a better understanding of what made DMC good than Itsuno did. I think that's why NT is an acceptable choice. While their games may not have the deepest combat, they're one of the few companies who can make a game that keeps you moving along on presentation alone. DMC was about getting from point A to point B, not combat. Everything about the design made you want to keep playing to see what happens next. DMC1 is still the most critically acclaimed DMC and I think Capcom wanted to get back to that status or at least try.
---
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
SSF4AE + BBCS2 + UMvC3 + MK = Life - Waiting desperately for Skullgirls
#7UnknownWinPosted 1/4/2013 8:49:49 AM
""As the series has gone we've seen new users die out, as it took longer to get into it. When it came time to make DMC 4, with the new hero and new moves, new techniques and skills, not many new fans entered the series."

I'm starting to think that they made this game to get the casual gamers in the series. And if you think about it.. Once they announce DMC5, Both of the pro and casual gamers will be looking forward it.
#8Tales_of_MasterPosted 1/4/2013 9:13:39 AM
I'm starting to think that they made this game to get the casual gamers in the series. And if you think about it.. Once they announce DMC5, Both of the pro and casual gamers will be looking forward it.

And that's a good thing, isn't it ?
---
Official Masakado of the SMT IV board
Waiting for: MGSR, DS: Soul Hackers, JJBA All-Star Battle, Tales of Hearts R, SMTIV, Ace Attorney 5.
#9SilentS89Posted 1/4/2013 9:24:43 AM
Tales_of_Master posted...

And that's a good thing, isn't it ?

Sure, its just that announcing DMC5 is extremely unlikely.

Why would Capcom want DMC5 to compete with DmC? They are already investing a comic and a movie to DmC.
#10KaijinSurohmPosted 1/4/2013 9:28:05 AM(edited)
Ugh. I hate Tameem's flawed logic.

I can understand the IDEA of giving new players a chance to play a game with training wheels, but that's what we call a Training Room.

When a casual player (I say this, because this is how I went) sees a pro, they generally think "Wow." and instead of saying "I want a stupidly simple game to make it look like I know what I'm doing", they will instead do RESEARCH on the project, and then PRACTICE the moves over and over.

Why? Because it's a sense of achievement.

Most people don't care about how flashy it LOOKS. They do it because it not only looks cool, but it's balls-breakingly difficult to show off, and thus allows for bragging rights.

I just added another reason why I hate this game.

Edit
New title
DmC: Training Wheels
---
"My views and opinions will be dramatically different from yours. Deal or go away." ~ Yours truly