DMC4 vs DmC: Speed Comparison/Analysis

#41ChaserTech(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 10:16:25 PM
Pesmerga255 posted...
ChaserTech posted...
Goldsickle posted...
DmC's Air Hike doesn't feel like a "second jump" in mid-air but a mild boost.

Yes. A thousand times yes.

His second jump is f****** horrible. Why did they even include it?

They probably included it for platforming reasons.

DMC didn't need platforming at all imo. I feel as if it's just a "gimmick" that was added in DmC in order to have something other than dumbed down gameplay.
#42Pesmerga255Posted 1/4/2013 10:21:57 PM
True. The camera pulling sections really break up the already sluggish flow of the game. I hate that "Hey, Snake Eye!!" scene that you can't skip.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#43ChaserTech(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 10:40:39 PM
Pesmerga255 posted...
True. The camera pulling sections really break up the already sluggish flow of the game. I hate that "Hey, Snake Eye!!" scene that you can't skip.

For a "DMC" game, this game sure has a lot of cutscenes compared to the rest.

In game cutscenes.
Scripted combat sequences.
Scripted boss sequences.
Narrative within gameplay.

I don't want to have a constant reminder of why I need to save someone. Or that I've done something that helped me within the mission I'm doing. I want to play the game.

It's a hack n' slash game. I want to hack n' slash.
#44rice_noodlesPosted 1/4/2013 10:46:56 PM
Pesmerga255 posted...

There are also moments where the camera zooms mid battle for no ****ing reason to balance things out
#45ChaserTech(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 10:57:00 PM
rice_noodles posted...
Pesmerga255 posted...

There are also moments where the camera zooms mid battle for no ****ing reason to balance things out

This game wants you to feel the maximum "cinema experience" since it has Shakespearean writing.
Also, anyone else noticed the camera shaking whenever you viewed a cutscene?

They are trying a bit too hard.
#46JELIFISH19Posted 1/4/2013 11:09:11 PM(edited)
DMC1 had a lot of platforming, item finding, and exploration. It's still the most critically acclaimed in the series. Calling it a hack and slash game is like calling the original REs shooting games. They changed things in DMC3 and made the first couple missions arena fights with a lot of cutscenes in between.
---
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
SSF4AE + BBCS2 + UMvC3 + MK = Life - Waiting desperately for Skullgirls
#47ChaserTech(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 11:25:52 PM
JELIFISH19 posted...
DMC1 had a lot of platforming, item finding, and exploration. It's still the most critically acclaimed in the series. Calling it a hack and slash game is like calling the original REs shooting games.

Honestly RE is considered Survival Horror. But DMC still exists as a hack and slash game.

I do see where you're coming from though since I personally haven't played DMC1, but judging on what I've seen, it has a bit more platforming than the recent games, DMC3/DMC4, which is more action oriented.

JELIFISH19 posted...

They changed things in DMC3 and made the first couple missions arena fights with a lot of cutscenes in between.

Yeah, mostly in the beginning and end of a mission. A few cutscenes were thrown in during the game itself but that was normally for achieving weapons, getting key items and whatnot.

DmC on the other hand has narrative sequences within the game. It also has constant cutscenes that interrupt the flow of combat while you are playing. And this is just within the demo that I've experienced. Each section that you complete also has a cutscene thrown into it as well.
#48Pesmerga255Posted 1/4/2013 11:39:02 PM(edited)
You really should play the first game. I find it a lot more challenging than 3 or 4 and it has the awesome Nelo Angelo fights. It's a very different beast than the last two games though.

One of my biggest problems with the way this game is presented has to be that horrible Slur that Dino speaks with. The shaking camera thing really annoys me too, I hate it in movies and I really don't think it belongs in a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuoUfyMUQTc

This video has a couple of good examples with it.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#49JELIFISH19Posted 1/4/2013 11:50:49 PM
ChaserTech posted...
JELIFISH19 posted...
DMC1 had a lot of platforming, item finding, and exploration. It's still the most critically acclaimed in the series. Calling it a hack and slash game is like calling the original REs shooting games.

Honestly RE is considered Survival Horror. But DMC still exists as a hack and slash game.

I do see where you're coming from though since I personally haven't played DMC1, but judging on what I've seen, it has a bit more platforming than the recent games, DMC3/DMC4, which is more action oriented.

JELIFISH19 posted...

They changed things in DMC3 and made the first couple missions arena fights with a lot of cutscenes in between.

Yeah, mostly in the beginning and end of a mission. A few cutscenes were thrown in during the game itself but that was normally for achieving weapons, getting key items and whatnot.

DmC on the other hand has narrative sequences within the game. It also has constant cutscenes that interrupt the flow of combat while you are playing. And this is just within the demo that I've experienced. Each section that you complete also has a cutscene thrown into it as well.

I'm saying that DMC wasn't always about combat. DMC1 was probably 80% exploration and 20% combat. They changed it in DMC3. DMC3 was much more combat oriented. DMC4 was almost a mix of DMC1 and DMC3 in that respect. DmC probably falls somewhere between DMC1 and DMC4. DMC1 even had bosses that required you to use the environment. I personally don't see the issue with cutscenes. Bayonetta had a ton of them mid-chapter. And that's the second highest ranked action game this gen behind GoW3. But my point is that DMC had identity crisis. Each game was very different from the others. But everyone seems to think that DMC3 is what DMC is but it's not. There are many things that made DMC1 great that are missing in the others.
---
I <3 my HRAP EX-SE
SSF4AE + BBCS2 + UMvC3 + MK = Life - Waiting desperately for Skullgirls
#50ChaserTech(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2013 12:38:23 AM
JELIFISH19 posted...
ChaserTech posted...
JELIFISH19 posted...

JELIFISH19 posted...

I'm saying that DMC wasn't always about combat. DMC1 was probably 80% exploration and 20% combat. They changed it in DMC3. DMC3 was much more combat oriented. DMC4 was almost a mix of DMC1 and DMC3 in that respect. DmC probably falls somewhere between DMC1 and DMC4. DMC1 even had bosses that required you to use the environment. I personally don't see the issue with cutscenes. Bayonetta had a ton of them mid-chapter. And that's the second highest ranked action game this gen behind GoW3. But my point is that DMC had identity crisis. Each game was very different from the others. But everyone seems to think that DMC3 is what DMC is but it's not. There are many things that made DMC1 great that are missing in the others.

Yeah I guess you're right about that. DMC went all over the place in terms of finding itself.

Even with this reboot...