WTF!? I've read fanfics with more creative weapons (spoilers and BlogFAQS)

#1wolf riderPosted 1/10/2013 4:33:38 AM
've been watching these recent gameplay videos, waiting to be impressed by the combat, and all I'm seeing are these lame ass weapons bereft of any creativity.

I don't expect everything to be 100% original these days, but COME ON!!! Are Ninja Theory even trying!?

In order to give the lameness of the weapons in DmC the humiliating justice they deserve, let me share with you my thoughts on previous DMC's weapons:

DMC:
Since this is the game that started it all, everything seemed awesome. Juggling enemies with E&I was simply mind blowing back then. Then you go around NUNCHUKING the shotgun. If they ever make a sequel to Equilibrium I expect at least this level of dope.

Then you have Nightmare Beta - a gun designed by H.R. Geiger himself. The mouth-frothing charged shot aside, what I really liked was how it was modeled after Nightmare (the boss). It's small things like a weapon's thematic link to the game world that impressed me.

Truth be told, I was rather lukewarm towards Alistair and Ifrit. Dunno why, maybe I just didn't understand all the ins & outs of the gameplay.

But then you get the Sparda Sword ... TURD.JUST.GOT.LEGIT. A sword that transforms into a scythe!!!!!!!!! I spent ages just standing in empty rooms and swinging that bad boy around, watching its transformations, throwing and catching it, etc.

DMC2:
Never played it. Looks crap. People says its crap. Capcom likes to pretend it doesn't exist. People on the Superman 64 board made fun of it (alright I made that up). Probably not missing anything, so moving on.

DMC3:
Now, DMC3 came out after Onimusha 2 and 3 so at this point I'm kind of expecting something a bit more than just your average fire/ice/lightning weapons.

Enter Nevan, an electric guitar ... that turns into scythe ... where Dante riffs and jams to create lightning bolts ... AND also offered a unique new playstyle. This, my friends, this is the standard of coolness and creativity by which all other aspiring weapons shall be judged henceforth.

Agni & Rudra: flames, hurricanes, FLAMING HURRICANES!!!

Beowulf: the fact that Virgil could obtain Devil Arms by defeating bosses just like Dante was again one of those little thematic connections between gameplay and the game world that impressed me. THOUGHT as well as CREATIVITY went into this game.

Since this thread is about weapons I won't go into the Styles, but damn, Quicksilver and Doppleganger were just the cool icing on the awesome cake. The style system managed to breath a bit of freshness to returning weapons like E&I, the shotty, etc which, let's be honest, were no longer as cool the second time around.

Playing DMC3 was almost like playing a shonen battle anime, back when shonen battle anime was actually good and not the nakama-protecting copy and paste drivel that you read today.

DMC4:
I have to admit, I was doubtful DMC4 would top DMC3. Weapons wise, I really liked Nero's arsenal. A sword that you revved like a motorcycle to increase damage was BADASS! But was the badassery maintained throughout the game? Debatable.

Did Gilgamesh look cool? Sure. BUT THIS IS THE THIRD TIME THEY'VE REUSED THIS WEAPON!!! It would've been much better if Dante simply started with Gilgamesh and added another new Devil Arm into the game.

Lucifer and Pandora were pretty cool by themselves, but they just seemed randomly inserted into the game. Where's the connection between the Devil Arms and the bosses you beat to obtan them? There wasn't any because they lazily reused the same bosses.

To be fair though, by now the standard for coolness was much higher than back in the DMC1 and 3 days, so there had to be exceptional weapons to blow me away. The weapons we got weren't mind-blowing, but they were decent enough.
---
Capcom tries to appeal to the CoD gamer with RE6.
CoD gamer buys the new CoD instead.
#2wolf rider(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 4:33:50 AM
DmC:
And now we come to DmC.

*Deep breath*

What. The. F***. Is. This. LAME. S***!?

We went from a sword that transforms into a scythe, to a scythe that transforms into an electirc guitar, to ... a scythe!? That's it!? Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot about the revolutionary 'pull enemy towards you' mechanic that a DOZEN OTHER GAMES ALREADY HAD! They even had to take moves away from rebellion to pad out moves for this weapon!?

We went from flaming gauntlets, to holy gauntlets and greaves, to a full suit of living metal, to ... novelty hulk hands!? And there's even LESS of the same RESUED moveset from the past three games!?

We get an axe that zomg SWINGS!? Is that it!?

Oh look, it's E&I and the shotty again! And you can juggle enemies in the air with them! Isn't that cool? %^$#&%^$%

Aquila looks like the kind of weapon a manga artist would give his enemy of the week.

Why is everything going backwards???

How can ANYONE honestly behold this level of lameness and not facepalm!?

Aaaaaaaaargh!
---
#3SiLVeR_420Posted 1/10/2013 4:50:24 AM
Facepalm till your face bleeds right?
---
Gamertag- youngSiLVeRstar
Forgive the name.
#4XDecimoXPosted 1/10/2013 4:53:34 AM
There's no denying that DmC's weapons are pretty unoriginal, but I would like to bring up the DMC3 VS 4 weapon things. Personally, I thought Pandora was absolutely amazing, especially considering it was a gun. Just, so many different uses for it. It's a fantastic weapon, that I think trumps the originality of even Nevan. Lucifer was the other stand-out weapon in DMC4, and while it was very niche in its uses, once I used it to take out the shield of a Blitz, I fell in love with it. I'd still rate Pandora above it though.

Also, no mention of Cerberus? Come on, that was the COOLEST weapon in the game!
I'm so sorry.
---
PSN - NeroTheDB
#5HidatsuPosted 1/10/2013 5:12:46 AM
I'm so sorry.

Chew on this! IT'S COOL!
---
"What's wrong? It looks like you swallowed a bug. Oh wait. You always look like that." -Jade, Tales of the Abyss.
PSN ID: Amarix
#6XDecimoXPosted 1/10/2013 5:13:39 AM
Hidatsu posted...
I'm so sorry.

Chew on this! IT'S COOL!

Another guy who likes to make puns? It's n-ICE to meet you sir!
---
PSN - NeroTheDB
#7wolf rider(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 6:05:59 AM
Oh, and they were Naruto fanfics *shudders*
---
#8smithkakarotPosted 1/11/2013 6:07:37 AM
XDecimoX posted...
Hidatsu posted...
I'm so sorry.

Chew on this! IT'S COOL!

Another guy who likes to make puns? It's n-ICE to meet you sir!

LET'S KICK ICE
---
"Welcome to Oblivion!"-Vegeta